The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korby View Post
I bought this to ease the gas pains , I can now take my time for the amp thats perfect for me . Buffalo Bro's just made a very good offer on my Les Paul , as I can get some time I'll be checking out alot of the amps you've recomended . mudbean from my research great low watt amps are very expensive , not sure why .
A lot of the amps I mentioned are handwired. It's not all that different to wire up a low wattage amp vs a higher wattage amp I think. Plus the cabinet, chassis, speaker, grillcloth, etc are all going to cost the same or close to it. I might equate it to the cost of a small handmade parlor guitar to the cost of a handmade jumbo. Both are going to cost you. One is smaller and uses less wood but the time and effort to make both is going to be relatively similar.

For other low watt options I'd check Dave Gries, Swart and Star amps as well.
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Amps for homes have to take into account that they have to look good ,looking good cost more . Check this out .
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbean View Post
Just curious, but, why would you want to spend that much $$$ for a bedroom amp? In your shoes, I would take a long hard look at the little guys, like Blackheart Little Giant or Little Ant, Epiphone Valve Jr, or (if you really want to spend more than necessary) the ZVEX Nano.

mud
For less than the price of an Epiphone Valve Jr, one can buy a Crate V18 212, an 18 watt, Class A amp with EL 84s, two 12 inch speakers and reverb.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=487055

There is also the Crate V Series V50-112, a 50 watt, Class A-B amp with 6L6s, two twelves and reverb.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=487054
Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korby View Post
Amps for homes have to take into account that they have to look good ,looking good cost more . Check this out .
Here's a looker for ya. I had a hardwood cab made for my old Alessandro Working Dog Boxer. It's walnut and flame maple.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
Here's a looker for ya. I had a hardwood cab made for my old Alessandro Working Dog Boxer. It's walnut and flame maple.
That is a very nice looking, elegant amplifier. It looks like an esthetic improvement over the old Carvin XV-112E 100W. Could you tell us who made the cabinet and how much he charged?

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 10-29-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added question
Old 10-29-2008, 06:15 AM

I would second the DRRI, and add the PRRI. I just got my PRRI and it's much warmer and luscious sounding than my Blues Jr. was. Both have soul and responsiveness that my HRD with Celestion and Blues Jr. did not have. The PRRI has the sort of sound I only heard in much more expensive amps.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM

I have no experience with them but a friend of mine just bought a Li'l Dawg and loves it. I think it fits your price range and its a hand wired custom amp that should fit your tone needs. Perhaps others can attest to actual experience other my hearsay. http://www.littledawgamps.com/
2009 Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM

I've got these (both slightly under your target price) for high gain and low volume bedroom playing. Love those EL84 tubes.

Zinky Blue Velvet

And Mesa Boogie F30

There are tons more choices both boutique and GC stuff in a wide variety of price ranges.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM

That Zinky is very cool looking! Can you tell me more about it?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
That is a very nice looking, elegant amplifier. It looks like an esthetic improvement over the old Carvin XV-112E 100W. Could you tell us who made the cabinet and how much he charged?
The gentleman who made the cab for me is Larry Mann. He goes by "distortion" on the Gear Page. Larry does excellent work. He gave me a good deal on the cab. I forget the exact price but I want to say it was $400-450 for the cab, not including the grill material which I purchased and installed myself.

The amp is actually an Alessandro Working Dog Boxer, not a Carvin amp. Here are some before pics:

The original construction wasn't great to begin with.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
The gentleman who made the cab for me is Larry Mann. He goes by "distortion" on the Gear Page. Larry does excellent work. He gave me a good deal on the cab. I forget the exact price but I want to say it was $400-450 for the cab, not including the grill material which I purchased and installed myself.

The amp is actually an Alessandro Working Dog Boxer, not a Carvin amp. ...
Thanks for the information. I didn't confuse it for a Carvin, the control layout more closely resembles that of a Blues Deluxe rather than a Carvin. Your amp reminded me of the old Carvin because it too had a wood finish and cane grill.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:37 PM

Taylorplayer,

All the tech info you can find in the link below. Also make sure to look at the Q&A section so you can see Mr. Zinky's origins in amp design.
http://www.zinky.com/

Also, do a search on the gear page (link below) and you will find other Zinky users (they know more about amps than I ever will) and their thoughts on the amp.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/

Personally, my biggest reason for liking it is the fact that I can dial in ZZ Top, ACDC, and even higher gain stuff like Zakk Wylde and Metallica, etc. inside my bedroom. You will need a pedal for nu-metal Godsmack type tones.

I'm not very good at describing tones, etc. but I used it for an outdoor three song gig with a band not too long ago and I was very happy with the tones I got. We also did a Journey song and a Duran Duran song (I know, don't ask) that required cleaner tones with chorus and delay pedals and I was very happy with the Zinky's voice.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited by Sage97; 10-29-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 PM

Sage:

Thanks very much.... those products are all very cool! I really like the "new" vintage reissue stuff ... all the vibe with a lot less headaches (and yeah, I hear it coming... I do own "original" gear too) "=)

thanks again,
Taylorplayer
Old 10-30-2008, 07:24 AM

being kinda "puritanical" i use a few different amps for different guitars/sounds..sometimes in tandems with a a/b/both switch but, all are tubes.
i like the fender twin reverb for straight up clean, the fender blues jr. for clean, pushed and saturated sounds, a peavey windsor studio for dirty or "altered" sounds and also for my dobro and archtops "clean". even a good used twin can be found (with some seraching) for around $800. the ohers are well within your range. the windsor is quite versatile and has some interesting features like the "sponge" that allows for break up/saturation at much lower volumes.
no flies of the Peavey classic 30 either!..great amp and if i were looking for one now might be so inclined myself. it has most of the abilities of the blues jr ,..not quite as "clean" but, warmer if a bit heavier...besides, i love the look of the vintage old lacquered amp on the blues jr....fits my wardrobe..
Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM

We've got a Peavy Delta Blues at church as a back-up amp that gets play time every now and then. It's got decent tone, but tends to be a little muddy in the low mids. Some people like that, and call it warmth, others know different kinds of warmth and call it mud... Take that FWIW, but the 15" speaker on the Delta Blues likely contributes to the sound I'm describing. But otherwise, it has some very useable tones, both rock, pushed clean, etc. It doesn't sound like my Bad Cat, or like our other player's Divided by 13, but it holds its own quite well given it's price point in comparison to the other two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification