The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Default Starting to think of a new Guitar.

I am starting to think of possibly getting a guitar right around $1000. This will be, knowing me, a painfull and long process. I am new, only playing about 14 months but am enjoying it a lot so I am going to try out some guitars and figured I would ask the people who know. I now have a Fender gdc 200 sce nat. Not a great guitar but it seems to sound decent and play ok. So what kind of guitar would you players think I should look at? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM

i think the best thing to do is to go to a guitar shop with friends and/or family and have them hand you a selection of guitars while you have your eyes closed. this helps to eliminate any bias you may have regarding price and brand.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Hi Shags,

If you have a friend who plays fairly well, he/she could be a big help to you at a good guitar store, along with a good sales person who knows his/her business.

Have fun!

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM

There are lots and lots of guitars in that price range. Hands-on will give you the opportunity to see if the guitar suits you. The internet is an excellent tool for researching what might interest you but there's nothing better than hand picking "your" guitar.

I happened to buy an Eastman because it was my favorite out of several that I tried and I still love it. Your preference may be for a Martin, Yamaha, Washburn, Epiphone, Seagull and so on. The choices are endless.

There may be many recommendations but the final decision is yours and yours alone. Have fun in your search.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shags72 View Post
I am starting to think of possibly getting a guitar right around $1000. This will be, knowing me, a painfull and long process. I am new, only playing about 14 months but am enjoying it a lot so I am going to try out some guitars and figured I would ask the people who know. I now have a Fender gdc 200 sce nat. Not a great guitar but it seems to sound decent and play ok. So what kind of guitar would you players think I should look at? Thanks in advance!!!
It always helps to know what style of music you play, what important ergonomic considerations you have, do you need or want a pickup, have a preference in terms of body size and so on.

Not knowing any of that, I think for the price range you specify your best bet will be Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Guild, Eastman, Blueridge, among others.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 AM

If I had a $1000 right now to spend a new guitar, it would be the Taylor DN3.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM

So youve had 72 shags good man But ive had many more than you

so take that

Seriously best you trying out as many guitars as you can whilst taking your time over such
and best to take someone with you whom also has acoustic knowledge and can play a little

as you also can get them to play a tune or 2 on the guitar/s for you to stand back and listen to him

Id try different stores and have a small notebook handy to write in the details of each guitar about your likes best on each guitar

after a month then buy your then preference

and i reckon this shall boil down to several guitars and is a tough decision that only you then make for yourself Gd luck
Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Are you a strummer or a fingerstyle player? Do you like a narrow nut width or wider? Acoustic or Acoustic Electric?

I think we need some more info in order to give you a better recommendation.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondale View Post
If I had a $1000 right now to spend a new guitar, it would be the Taylor DN3.
These guitars sound very good, or at least the one I played locally. I generally thought I wasn't a Taylor guy, but that model really impressed me.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Eastman is incredible bang, for or without the buck. What a fine sounding guitar - - -

Try every guitar you see until you fall for one of them. Happy hunting.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 PM

If that was my budget, I'd look at a Taylor DN3 (as previously mentioned), a GA3, or a GC3.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM

WOW!!! Thanks.
I guess I really don't have a style. At least I don't think I do. Here is what I have been doing. I started and still mainly play Christian music as these are the players that I started picking around with. I really enjoy Zep, Floyd, Sabbath and most any late 60s to around 2000 Rock Blues and Heavy stuff alike.
I have recently tried to do some finger picking to Dust in the wind, Stairway and Brain Damage (Floyd) and enjoy that quite a bit. I hate to say what kind of player I am but what I want to do is just be able to strum out and pick out some music in front of people without too many mistakes. It's early for me though and I am getting old. 45.
As far as electric acoustic or just acoustic I would probably want electric but if there is a trade off I would like to know what it is. I would rather have an easier playing acoustic for the same price as an electric. Any comment on the drawbacks of electric acoustic?
I will have my brother who has been playing for awhile, and who I do pick around with some, help me some but it is just hard to coordinate when we live such busy lives. I must say Martin and Taylor were kinda up there on my list but after hearing some other names and good things about other lesser known, for me, brands, I think I should take a look at these too. Okay way too long. Sorry! Thanks to all and I am still listening!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion