The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM

I had the Cox control line aircraft when I was kid and could fly them. Started with the trainer and then got a JU87 which was harder to fly. Lottsa people had them then and I built a good sized balsa spit that was intended for RC but I didn't have the cash to buy the RC stuff for it. There's a club near where I'm from but I've never stopped in when they're flying.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:00 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal747 View Post
Beautiful A/C Smitty 70. I tried flying one about thirty years back and thinking that my experience would make it a slam dunk…wrong. Controlling the aircraft was basic except when it was coming toward you and your visual reference is 180’ off…needless to say, it made for a very interesting downwind approach, but I didn’t auger it in.
When finally started landing I developed the habit of turning away from the plane and looking over my shoulder when flying toward me. It keeps you working the sticks correctly. But working the transmitter is like playing the guitar kinda, eventually you don't have to think about the chord changes, you just do it. I've crashed many times.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I was in the late 90's. My son and I built dozens of models, and I still have quite a few hanging in the rafters in the basement. Along with a few unbuilt kits, minty new 4-strokes, some radios, piles of servos and boxes of stuff. Gonna sell 'em all in the spring (or give 'em to some kid in the club).

I lost interest after I got my private pilot license.
I've got two friends who started out in RC and ended up full scale. One built his own Vans RV 6 side by side. It was a beauty.

Last edited by Smitty70; 02-26-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 PM

They look cool and a lot of fun. If you fly them here, got to be careful. Teterboro airport is close and 2nd busiest after VanNys in CA. I think the local F B I would have a few of their boys come by and talk to you. A little too close to NYC if you know what I mean. Very cool hobby. Wish we had more space here to use them.

Last edited by GHS; 02-27-2015 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I flew pattern planes for a long time, and then some almost giant
scale stuff, but that was years ago. I am not a good enough craftsman
to build from scratch, and I got bored just flying, so I quit. Still have
my field box and a few engines, but all the planes and radios are gone.

Ron
Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
When finally started landing I developed the habit of turning away from the plane and looking over my shoulder when flying toward me. It keeps you working the sticks correctly.
That works very well in practice.

Seems a lot better of a "crutch" than remembering things like "push the stick to the low wing", etc.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 PM

Went through a phase with them. Had around 80 at my peak. Great little hobby if you have places to fly. Flying places were somewhat limited near me. Had a great time learning it though. I know now I should have just started on pc with Real Flight and saved myself a ton of money on crashing. I actually won a trophy my first year in the flight club. I was nominated 'Foaminator' lol
All around I loved the various T28 the most and some wings were good. Rarebear rocked also. Fast as hell. Hobbyking and I became real good friends for awhile there lol.

Bunch of pics here.
https://500px.com/RobertAnaC/sets/rcplanes

Bunch of vids here also
https://m.youtube.com/user/twilo1234

Last edited by Twilo123; 02-26-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
They look cool and a lot of fun. If you fly them here, got to be careful. Teterboro airport is close and 2nd busiest after VanNys in CA. I think the local F B I would have a few of their boys come by and talk to you. A little too close to NYC if you know what I mean. Very cool hobby. Wish we had more space here to use them.
I lived in Keansburg for a couple years. I believe the law is not within a mile of an airport and within sight. Most radios will control over a mile but you can't fly what you can't see. Here's one of mine. It has a YS 110 nitro, most powerful for its size I've seen.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songz View Post
I flew pattern planes for a long time, and then some almost giant
scale stuff, but that was years ago. I am not a good enough craftsman
to build from scratch, and I got bored just flying, so I quit. Still have
my field box and a few engines, but all the planes and radios are gone.

Ron
I never had the skills to fly pattern. You guys are amazing. I built my first, a Stick 40 but didn't care for building. After all I always had repairs to make and that kept me busy
Another one with the YS 110

Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 PM

That's a great looking hanger Twilo. Never had that many at one time.
Here's one in the process of assembly. It's 40 scale Ultimate with a 60 OS.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM

Ok, just one more and I'm done. This plane took the hobby by storm when it came out. It's forty size and guys were using larger engines. Mine has a Saito 82. Check the size of those ailerons. That thing rolls like a dart and hovers like a copter.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
That's a great looking hanger Twilo. Never had that many at one time.
Here's one in the process of assembly. It's 40 scale Ultimate with a 60 OS.
Thanks Smitty. i could never get into gas by me as they are illegal to fly by me but they do rip. i got used to the electric though as they were much quieter and no fumes all day. i have a buddy who builds a lot of balsa planes. mine were all foam hence my nickname 'Foaminator' lol. i was getting around 100mph with the rarebear and 4S http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...20mm_PNF_.html
my only problem is that it is small and the colors blend in with the sky. lost my first one real quick in the sky. now you see it; poof now you don't haha.

i always wanted to get into pylon racers but just never got around to it. tried just about every other type of plane but those. those are wicked fast!

here is you skip to around 4:15 i have a funny landing in a tree. i was flying with a broken prop half the time and it was hard to trim out. also i had a hawk chase me once in the place that i took this video. tons of them flying around. think it was looking for food and found me lol.

here's one with a wing. these little suckers ripped for their size...

Last edited by Twilo123; 02-27-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Great looking plane, Smitty. I realy like the Extra.

Ron
Old 02-28-2015, 08:42 AM

Not RC, but the most amazing scale model I have ever seen.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
When finally started landing I developed the habit of turning away from the plane and looking over my shoulder when flying toward me. It keeps you working the sticks correctly. But working the transmitter is like playing the guitar kinda, eventually you don't have to think about the chord changes, you just do it. I've crashed many times.
Dang, I never considered looking over my shoulder but that makes absolute sense until one is oriented. Aviation has been my life and I was always hopeful that [at least] one of my six children would share the desire to be up there, but it never happened. My eldest grandson [16] and USNA hopeful candidate is all about flying and this may just be the perfect entry level platform him to learn the principles of operating an aircraft and have lots of fun doing it. Thanks Smitty for this thread…you have just given gramps’ an idea.
hal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic