The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Beat me to it.

Do a search!
mc1's reply is over an hour old. Please look at the date/time of comments before resurrecting them
Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Threads on discussing things that already have been discussed, have already been discussed - do a search ,

H
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM

I think the mods are tired of reading threads about "bridge pins effects on tone." I know I am.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc5207 View Post
I get the OP's point that 'do a search' can smother a board if overused.

Boards can also languish from boredom when too many common topics are raised repeatedly, and experienced members just stop responding. I think this is especially true when an old topic has been re-threaded within the last few days, and may even have a current thread running. Sometimes I wonder whether posters even bothered to skim the first page of thread titles before opening a new old thread. I think it's just good manners at least to look around for yourself before expecting others to spoon feed you their wisdom gratis. I sincerely believe that most people respond much more positively to threads that begin, "I read a bunch of threads about xxx, but I'm still confused because...," as opposed to "Tell me all about xxx. Now."

Every forum has contentious topics that have been discussed exhaustively (and exhaustingly), about which no one has anything new to say. When a new thread comes up on one of these topics, some old timers won't bother responding because they are tired of repeating themselves, and the new thread won't get the best answers. 'Do a search' is sometimes shorthand for "you might miss out on a lot a good information if you only see what people say about a new thread on this."

So do yourself and everyone else a favor, and search first.

OTOH, if a thread is a known dead horse to you, disregard it.... easy
Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

For myself, I respond best to those who lead by example. For example, a more diplomatic way of suggesting a search might be for the responder to do a search, find some threads of value, and then provide links in response to the OP with the comment that "here are some threads that might be helpful."

This is a discussion board, so most important is discussion. But, there are some very smart people who have contributed here over the years, and so this forum is also a terrific resource. To not use that resource is wasting some of the power of the AGF.

The AGF is also a great opportunity to get to know others who are interested in the guitar and in music, so the AGF also serves as a social network.

- Glenn
Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
I think the mods are tired of reading threads about "bridge pins effects on tone." I know I am.
Hmm...well, I am "tired" of reading tons of topics on this forum that don't interest me, but it's not about "me"...thankfully, we have a lot of topics to choose from, and don't have to read through every one
Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
mc1's reply is over an hour old. Please look at the date/time of comments before resurrecting them

Is it still too soon, then? (holds up bell bottom pants, sighs, then puts them back in the closet)

...( )...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 02-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
OTOH, if a thread is a known dead horse to you, disregard it.... easy
But it's rude just to ignore a member in need!

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I posted this just recently in a thread about "power pegs". I thought some the replies the guy got were borderline rude.............

"Cut the OP some slack. It's his second post. How was he supposed to know that the power pin things have been discussed here recently?

For those who don't yet have hundreds, or even thousands, of posts under their belts....it's a new and interesting subject. Let them discuss it without chiming in with "been there, done that" posts.

How is a new person supposed to feel welcome if he gets chided for trying to start a conversation about something that interests him?

So knock it off.

Rant over."
Old 02-24-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
I posted this just recently in a thread about "power pegs". I thought some the replies the guy got were borderline rude.............

"Cut the OP some slack. It's his second post. How was he supposed to know that the power pin things have been discussed here recently?

[Chop]
He would have known, had he searched. Just saying.

BTW, Welcome to AGF, twbranch!

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbranch View Post
me of my favorite boards love it when a new member brings up an old thread that may be 8 years old. WHY NOT??
I agree, it's not like this is an easily indexed information repository. It's sometimes very difficult to mine the information here as it is on many boards.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc5207 View Post
He would have known, had he searched. Just saying.
No one's arguing about that. It's the manner in which it is said that is key.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:29 PM

I prefer AGF to another forum, the name of which I will not divulge, but they Talk a lot about Bass. There is a moderator there who reigns with a heavy hand ... and will simply close any thread he deems has already been discussed, or he disapproves of for any reason. If I come across a thread that I think has already been hashed out elsewhere I just move on. Nothing compels me to open every post, in fact, I'd be surprised if I read 1 in 50 thread starters, and even fewer posts.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
So ... don't. Just sayin' ...
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Hmm...well, I am "tired" of reading tons of topics on this forum that don't interest me,
That's OK . . . you can just continue to follow me around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic