The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crabbe View Post
Yup. Lady Gaga is the real deal. Incredible singer and talent.
She’s in Chicago quite often--her fiancé is “Chicago Fire” star Taylor Kinney, and they’re often spotted at “hot spot” South Loop, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Rivers North & West eateries. The show and its spinoff “Chicago PD” are both filmed at the Bridgeport/Canaryville soundstage complex Cinespace Chicago (also the home of the series “Boss”), with locations all over the city but mostly on the near South Side where the fictional firehouse and cop-shop are set. Actual exteriors for the firehouse are at W. 23rd & Blue Island Ave. Many scenes are shot along Logan Blvd. and Ogden Ave. because they’re so wide, with large grassy medians; also in Humboldt Park because it’s picturesque but not as crowded as Lincoln, Grant or Millennium Parks. Last week, “Chicago Fire” shot an exterior scene at Lickety Split frozen-custard parlor at the end of my block.

I went to a Mt. Sinai Hosp. fundraiser (the actual hospital’s a few blocks from the fictional firehouse) last fall at Cinespace Chicago and at the silent auction was the winner of a director’s chair autographed by the “Chicago Fire” cast. Too bad Gaga wasn’t there the day chairs were autographed--but maybe I’ll search for a discreet “S. Germanotta” on the underside.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Where’s the beef?
Not with me ! I eschew chewing animals 363 days a year and I like the lady with the meat suit (so I don't have to )
Old 02-23-2015, 05:40 PM

I didn't watch the show so, after perusing the comments here, I had to find it on the net. I'm with the crowd who thought she did a great job, with some great music. (The tats did seem sadly distracting and out of place to me though).
Old 02-23-2015, 05:48 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Sorry, but I don’t see how talking about Alzheimer’s, ALS, suicide prevention, PTSD, homophobia/suicidal depression among transgender kids. or providing sanitation to the Third World is “excrement” (although the latter deals with the dangers of excrement).
Yeah, I'm with you.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
lucky, i tuned in and all i heard was political speech after political speech. I thought i was watching some political party conventions, and alot of them were totally ignorant.
I didn't hear much ignorance... some rants, some partial truths and maybe some misguided individuals, but also stuff I said "yeah" about.

Personally I like it when people use the time to further stuff that they feel is important (even when I disagree). We're not monkeys there just for people's entertainment. We have ideas and thoughts and hell yea, if I had the opportunity, I'd speak up...

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

Last edited by Psalad; 02-23-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:03 PM

I've never really paid any attention to her, but, I was blown away by her performance on the Stevie Wonder tribute...
Old 02-23-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I love you, Man.

I'll be the exception here...while I thought LGG demonstrated power (and didn't need auto-pitch-correct), I didn't particularly care for the actual tonal qualities of her voice.

Just not my cup o' tea.

For me, this was simply more of the urban yodeling that one hears on the reality/contest shows...although she did mostly stay with the melodies that we know and love, unlike any current singing of our national anthem, which now apparently has 80,000 extra notes compared to what I remember from my youth...

It's just me, and what I like.

Oh, and please get off my lawn.
Urban yodeling? I didn’t hear any register breaks, R&B/pop phrasing or pronunciations (if anything, her enunciation on a couple of words was a bit stilted, towards the classical side), and certainly no melisma prevalent on AI or “The Voice." She sang the notes that were written--no more, no less. I did notice some head-tone coloration reminiscent of Bette Midler or Barbra Streisand in her middle range--but that kept her performance from being too classically “soprano-ish.” But for the somewhat prissy enunciation, her tonal quality sounded closer to Martin’s than to Andrews’ (which I always found a little saccharine in the role--I liked her much better as Eliza Doolittle, Guinevere and Mary Poppins).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 PM

Great performance.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 PM

I knew Gaga has pipes when I heard her duet with Tony Bennett on "The Lady Is A Tramp" a couple of years ago, but I had no idea she was capable of that level of performance. That speaks to long, difficult training on top of having great pipes. It was an excellent performance.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don’t see how talking about Alzheimer’s, ALS, suicide prevention, PTSD, homophobia/suicidal depression among transgender kids. or providing sanitation to the Third World is “excrement” (although the latter deals with the dangers of excrement).
Same here, especially since most of that talk was related to the character the actor speaking played, or was otherwise related to the movie. Graham Moore's speech was especially moving, given the stigma that's still attached to depression.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Lady Ga Ga has the pipes and is a seriously talented singer. Lets hope that she can now focus on that instead of outrageous costumes that IMO distract from her talent.
I doubt that core audience cares how well she sings. They go to her concerts for her music and the spectacle. Most of them wouldn't know or care if she was on pitch or not.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, that was a thoughtless comment. I just meant I was much more interested in my silly Zombie show at the time. I care about those things too.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 AM

Back on topic. (Seriously, start a thread on Oscar speeches, if it's important to you.)

I, too, am thoroughly impressed with her performance. NOT an easy medley, with a number of unconventional key changes, some with no instrumental guide. I suspect some of her fans will be delighted to know that she can/does perform at that level, as well. For me, the tattoos added, rather than detracted.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Didn't bother. What kind of meat was she wearing?
Phil Collins was once asked when Genesis got their big break, to which he answered, "When Pete started wearing funny hats."

Joe and Jane Public like funny hats and meat. Can't blame La Gaguita for that!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:43 AM

Loved her performance...I always enjoy hearing musicians who can pull off something outside of whatever they've been pigeon-holed into...

It's also a good reason for my enjoyment of hearing hard rock bands play, "unplugged"...

Heck, I even like hearing my favorite musicians when they are just jamming. For example, the "Pizza Tapes", by Garcia, Grismon, and Rice.

I'm not impressed by videos, or production numbers...for me, it's the music!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic