The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Oh No, Patrick Kane is out for 6-10 weeks. He's an MVP candidate for sure this year. Sounds like he could be out for the start of the playoffs.
Tough day for Chicago. Patrick Kane out for 6- 10 weeks and Derrick Rose of the Bulls needs knee surgery. Hope they both make a full and speedy recovery.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
That is horrible news.

He's one of the NHL's most talented and fun to watch players. Hope the Blackhawks can keep things together until he returns (6-10 weeks from now should be around the start of the playoffs).

What happened to him Dru?
It was just an innocent hockey check resulting in a freak accident. It's now 12 weeks that Kane will be out. It's a shame to see such a great player out for so long. We're familiar with that with Crosby.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:49 AM

Talking

Wings are on a tough road trip. Tampa is looking unbeatable. Chicago is looking depleted. But the Habs are for real! Unfortunately for Shark fans their team is on a downward spiral. And the Leafs?!........deader than a nat in a Siberian snow bank
Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Wings are on a tough road trip. Tampa is looking unbeatable. Chicago is looking depleted. But the Habs are for real! Unfortunately for Shark fans their team is on a downward spiral. And the Leafs?!........deader than a nat in a Siberian snow bank
The Habs keep on winning. Price will win the Vezina and he has a chance at the Hart too.

How about the Clarkson trade to Columbus for Horton? Wow, I can't believe Toronto pulled that one off. Horton may never play another game in the NHL.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 PM

So how did everybody's team do at the deadline? Pens got deeper and more experienced on defense. Overall I like the moves. I really like the way first year coach Mike Johnston and first year (for us, he's a longtime GM) Jim Rutherford have handled the team. I don't think we have enough to win the cup though. But we do have a chance. That's good enough for me. Heck I'll be happy if the Pens don't embarrass themselves again. The last couple of playoffs showed too much immaturity. Let the playoff run begin !
Old 03-04-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.crabbe View Post
So how did everybody's team do at the deadline? Pens got deeper and more experienced on defense. Overall I like the moves. I really like the way first year coach Mike Johnston and first year (for us, he's a longtime GM) Jim Rutherford have handled the team. I don't think we have enough to win the cup though. But we do have a chance. That's good enough for me. Heck I'll be happy if the Pens don't embarrass themselves again. The last couple of playoffs showed too much immaturity. Let the playoff run begin !
Hey k.c.! As a fellow Pens fan I view the three TDL deals generally as a positive.

The acquisition of Daniel Winnik from Toronto was an excellent addition. Winnik is a large body, who skates well, can chip in offensively and is defensively responsible. A playoff kind of player who'll make the pk better and add some size, grit and skill to our 3rd line. The Pens' price paid of Zak Sill and picks was equitable for this UFA rental.

Ian Cole from St Louis for Robert Bortuzzo seems like a "hope a change of scenery helps both" trade for each of the young defensemen. Both players were relegated to marginal roles with their former teams. Cole was a first round pick and has a better pedigree/skill set than Bortuzzo. If Cole can develop his potential with the Pens it may end up being a steal.

The Despres for Lovejoy trade to me makes absolutely no sense. The Pens' management explanation that they were seeking a more 'experienced' player doesn't seem to take into account that Despres is 8 years younger, has a cheaper contract (for a cap strapped Pens team) and is at least as good a defenseman (he led the Pens team in hits) right now as the more expensive 31 year old Lovejoy and has a considerably higher ceiling as a player. Terrible deal in the long run and not a good deal today.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM

Bruins didn't do too much at the trade deadline. A couple of minor things.

We're down to the final 20 games of the season. Some excitement. It'll be interesting to see who takes command for the Hart and Art Ross trophies. It's still open at this point. Ovechkin has been hot the past 30 games or so ... he's gotta be in consideration for both.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 PM

I don't like the Despres/Lovejoy trade either Catdaddy. I'm trusting Rutherford and Johnston on that one. Game starts in about 1 minute. Should be interesting.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I don't like the Despres/Lovejoy trade either Catdaddy. I'm trusting Rutherford and Johnston on that one. Game starts in about 1 minute. Should be interesting.
Pens lost 3-1 but I thought all three new guys were good for us. Hate to say it but Sid was kind of a no show. Need to win a few on the West Coast this weekend.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-05-2015, 12:51 PM

I agree Catdaddy. At times they looked like exactly what they are. A team with some new guys trying to adjust. I thought Winnik looked really good. Lots of hustle and trying to make some plays. I don't know what's up with Crosby. He looks tentative out there. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Overall I'd say, so far so good. Even though we lost.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Thumbs up

WHOA....Rangers and Islanders...TIED!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Pens lost 3-1 but I thought all three new guys were good for us. Hate to say it but Sid was kind of a no show. Need to win a few on the West Coast this weekend.
I'm wondering if Sid is still hurt. His faceoff percentage isn't very good either. I think when he missed the All Star game and then the regular season game he should have sat out a couple of more. Any talk about his condition?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm wondering if Sid is still hurt. His faceoff percentage isn't very good either. I think when he missed the All Star game and then the regular season game he should have sat out a couple of more. Any talk about his condition?
Speculation among Pens hockey fans is rampant. These are some of the many things being discussed concerning Sid:

Random down year, concussion, various injuries and wear and tear, wrist injury, years of poor coaching taking its toll, years of playing for dysfunctional organization taking its toll, current state of officiating, something in his personal life, holding something back for the playoffs.

These things are all just conjecture at this point. None of it is substantiated. What has really increased the discussion and interest is the fact that Sid had 3 great games in a row recently. Looked like his old self and then just as quickly he's had two lacklustre games in a row. Last night's game against the Avalanche was particularly bad. He was a total non-factor in the game and both of his linemates were hoppin' and fired up. Quite the mystery.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 PM

Hey Catdaddy, here's some info. on the Despres trade. Interesting stuff.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015...rt-with-pride/

About Half way down.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Hey Catdaddy, here's some info. on the Despres trade. Interesting stuff.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015...rt-with-pride/

About Half way down.
Very interesting indeed! That certainly puts the trade in a different light for me. Kind of makes me wonder if eventually (maybe after he retires?) we'll learn something about Sid's health that has been kept quiet.

Thanks for posting kc!

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic