The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

James, I have had several of both and two of the Springer Heritage Softails ( no longer made) . The Dyna Wide Glide was absolutely the most comfortable Harley I ever had. I had two of them. I rode one all the way to Sturgis South Dakota non stop from here in Northern Indiana and I could have kept going. I could never do that on a Heritage. Those two bikes are totally different bikes ergonomically. The Heritage Softail is very crude with the floorboards and solid mount motor ( maybe the new ones are rubber isolated now?) I am 6'2" so we are very close in build. The Heritage just didn't fit me well. After several miles, I became irritated and could not get comfortable. With the Wide Glide, it was pure comfort and much sportier and nimble. The best advice is for you to try and ride both for an extended time. Hard to facilitate that but it really would be best.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 PM

Wow - awesome responses so far! Thanks for all the good advice.

I am scheduled for a MC safety course the first week of June, and then I will only
have to pass the written exam at the DPS to get my MC License.

Initially I will only be taking short 3 to 4 hour trips - mostly short runs with my fellow CMA members.
I will also be out riding (away from traffic) for fun every chance I get and will ride to work on weekends
after I get more riding experience.

I plan to sell whatever I get after 2 or 3 years, so I am leaning towards the Wide Glide because
I really like the balance and feel of it, but I will have the opportunity to try any and all makes
and models before I decide. I am waiting about six months to buy, because prices are lower
closer to winter months. and I should have most of the $$ saved up by then as well.
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault
Old 05-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Best advice I ever got was to buy a used bike. I've done so on the two I've previously owned and sold them both for what I paid for them. So I rode for free!

Also, you're not as high strung about it getting a scratch since it probably already has one or two. Makes for more relaxed riding. The BMW I owned still had the original warranty plus an extended warranty that was transferrable. Came with a new top case and GPS the original owner never even used. Best deal in town.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM

At 52 and with little riding experience, especially with a load like a Harley, I suggest you stick with four wheels. I'm not kidding bro, I think you will live longer if at this point in your life you stay off of two wheels. Big bikes, no experience and degraded reflexes are not a good combination for longevity. Not even to mention the distracted drivers out there who will run you over in a heartbeat while texting, talking, eating, and a host of other things that people now do while driving. Everyone Monday morning you can read in any newspaper anywhere from coast to coast about inexperienced weekend motorcycle riders in their 50's and 60's who "failed to negotiate the turn" or were snuffed out by somebody who said afterwards: "I never saw him." Four wheels, not two bro at this point in your life. Just one man's opinion.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
At 52 and with little riding experience, especially with a load like a Harley, I suggest you stick with four wheels. I'm not kidding bro, I think you will live longer if at this point in your life you stay off of two wheels. Big bikes, no experience and degraded reflexes are not a good combination for longevity. Not even to mention the distracted drivers out there who will run you over in a heartbeat while texting, talking, eating, and a host of other things that people now do while driving. Everyone Monday morning you can read in any newspaper anywhere from coast to coast about inexperienced weekend motorcycle riders in their 50's and 60's who "failed to negotiate the turn" or were snuffed out by somebody who said afterwards: "I never saw him." Four wheels, not two bro at this point in your life. Just one man's opinion.
Sounds like good advice.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Carpe Diem

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." – Helen Keller

“Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart.” ― Erma Bombeck
Old 05-28-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind42 View Post
I disagree. Carpe Diem

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." – Helen Keller

“Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart.” ― Erma Bombeck
Helen Keller & Ermak Bombeck may be right, but when you're laying in a hospital bed with a spinal chord injury that will haunt you the rest of your life, I think most people might question their counsel. Ask anyone who has ever rode a motorcycle, it's not a matter of IF you are going down, it's only a matter of WHEN you are going down. And after that, the main focus of your life will be if you will ever walk again or be pain free ever again. Maybe if you were in your 20's or 30's I wouldn't be posting this warning. But man your reflexes aren't anywhere near what they were when you were younger. And your ability to react in an emergency is what saves your hide many times when riding motorcycles. One nanosecond delay and you could find yourself flying over the handle bars thinking "Uh oh, this is definitely going to leave a mark." And you can be the safest motorcycle rider in the world, it doesn't mean squat. The fact of the matter is, for most people, it's only a matter of time before you go down. Four wheels bro, FOUR wheels. I won't post about it anymore. I've said my piece. Just think about it long and hard before you plunk down your hard earned money for that Harley.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Helen Keller & Ermak Bombeck may be right, but when you're laying in a hospital bed with a spinal chord injury that will haunt you the rest of your life, I think most people might question their counsel. Ask anyone who has ever rode a motorcycle, it's not a matter of IF you are going down, it's only a matter of WHEN you are going down. And after that, the main focus of your life will be if you will ever walk again or be pain free ever again. Maybe if you were in your 20's or 30's I wouldn't be posting this warning. But man your reflexes aren't anywhere near what they were when you were younger. And your ability to react in an emergency is what saves your hide many times when riding motorcycles. One nanosecond delay and you could find yourself flying over the handle bars thinking "Uh oh, this is definitely going to leave a mark." And you can be the safest motorcycle rider in the world, it doesn't mean squat. The fact of the matter is, for most people, it's only a matter of time before you go down. Four wheels bro, FOUR wheels. I won't post about it anymore. I've said my piece. Just think about it long and hard before you plunk down your hard earned money for that Harley.
Upon reaching 50+, we are each old enough to know what the risks are inherit to life's various activities. Some of us have better reflexes, some do not at that age. I've owned and ridden pretty fast bikes in my young adulthood, so I do understand the dangers. And yet, I still choose to do so. It's an individual's choice.

But none of us gets out of this earthly existence alive. If he wants to take on the risks that come with riding a bike, he's old enough to decide. A person can get the same spinal cord injury riding in a car or walking down the street. Life is risky and some of us can tolerate more than others and that's ok.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
And you can be the safest motorcycle rider in the world, it doesn't mean squat.
Actually, being a safe motorcyclist means everything.
Be proactive and aware at all times. Be responsible for yourself, and assume that no one else can see you. Wear proper gear at all times. Become familiar with your machine, and check it regularly to avoid issues.
In motorcycling you are your own line of defense. Only you can know how responsible you will be, so don't worry too much about Erma Bombeck or the doomsayers.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM

Take the rider safety course, then see if you can rent a soft tail and a wide glide. I'd recommend some miles on each to see which one feels best.

Of course, as a new rider, you don't want to push the bike too hard. Bad things happen fast at high speed!

Also, I'm 64 and been riding since I was 15. I crashed my first year and an old timer said "if you ride, you will slide". Not might slide: WILL slide! Just a matter of time. So if you knew this was the day you drop a bike at 60, how to you want to be dressed? Leather boots, jacket, gloves, helmet? Or sneakers and t-shirt?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
it's not a matter of IF you are going down, it's only a matter of WHEN you are going down
And I was going to leave this thread alone...
But I strongly disagree. That is just a made up old wives tale straight from snopes.com
Yes, take the safety course, ride sober and with caution.
And have fun and enjoy life!
Oh yeah, you are borderline too big for either bike choice, why the idea to sell after 2-3 years?
Harley's don't hold their value much these days, maybe the used idea would be best for you?
I ride a Dyna StreetBob, But I am only 5'7" and 170 lbs.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-30-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: rule #1
Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
why the idea to sell after 2-3 years?
Harley's don't hold their value much these days, maybe the used idea would be best for you?
Actually, Harley's do hold their value - and I am definitely buying used. I have a friend who has been buying and reselling them since he was 24 years old, and he has informed me that I can ride one for 2 or 3 years and then sell for what I paid!

The reason for the 3 year time frame? My Jeep will be paid off in 3 years, and then I can afford payments on a new MC. (The option will be on the table, anyway)

I have also been practicing driving slower and being aware of what is North, East, South, and West of me at all times for the past year. I get out and drive around in rush hour traffic for fun on my days off.

Believe it or not, it is actually more dangerous to drive the speed limit in the Dallas/Ft worth area. It is pretty bizarre around here during rush hour - even fathers with wife and kids in the car get pi$$d off and do really stupid things to get around all the people who are obeying the traffic laws. LOL - I can recognize their body language when this occurs, and let me tell you, these people have psych issues! It took me about six months to break the habit of getting angry at people who drive very badly and speeding up 20 or 30 mph just to pass them - I realized that sort of behavior would get me killed quickly on a motorcycle.

I am well aware of what I am up against as far as danger and risk of life and limb, but I am set on this course and will not deviate from it. I now have the strength and knowledge to live my life exactly the way I want to live it! :O)
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-30-2015 at 08:47 AM. Reason: removed religious comments
Old 05-28-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec214_rolyaT View Post
Actually, Harley's do hold their value - and I am definitely buying used. I have a friend who has been buying and reselling them since he was 24 years old, and he has informed me that I can ride one for 2 or 3 years and then sell for what I paid!
New? Not a chance.
Used? A big maybe. If you get a real smoking deal and it is already loaded with accessories and it has super low miles, and you put new tires and brakes and etc, before you sell...
Thing is Harley's are not scarce anymore, they are cranking them out like crazy.
That is the supply and demand thing.
Tons of used ones for sale everywhere.
How do I know any of this? Been there several times.
Just ride it and stay away from the parts counter, that extra little chrome piece will get you nothing at time of resale.
Enough of this, good luck with your journey,
Lets make some music!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree If this ones perspective then indeed riding a motorcycle is probably ill advised. Because it doesn't matter how accurate or realistic the assumptions are, at that level of negative perspective I would think it would not be fun.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
And I was going to leave this thread alone...
But I strongly disagree. That is just a made up old wives tale straight from snopes.com
Yes, take the safety course, ride sober and with caution.
And have fun and enjoy life!
Oh yeah, you are borderline too big for either bike choice, why the idea to sell after 2-3 years?
I ride a Dyna StreetBob, But I am only 5'7" and 170 lbs.
The idea of the size (height wise for sure) of the rider being important to comfort on particular models is a very good point. I got my first used V Rod at a screaming good deal because the owner was 6' 4" and was not comfortable on the bike. Where I am 5' 10" and it's a good fit.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-30-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: edited quote
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic