The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:02 AM

Default Dyna Wide Glide or Heritage Softail?

I am 53 years old, six foot one, and weigh 220 lbs. This will be my "first" motorcycle and I have only moderate riding experience.

I thought I wanted the Wide Glide until I sat on a Heritage Softail while attending a local CMA meeting, and now I cannot decide.

Any experienced riders have an opinion?
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault
Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 AM

IF I wanted a Harley, which I don't, I'd go with the Softail.

I've been riding off and on since I was 17 (I'm now 63) and, because of back, hip and leg problems, these days I ride a trike. If I was going to go back to two wheels and I wanted an American bike, I'd get a Victory. If I wanted something virtually bulletproof I'd go with Star (Yamaha) or Suzuki.

That's probably more than you wanted, but there you go.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:03 AM

Take the motorcycle rider safety course.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM752 View Post
Take the motorcycle rider safety course.
Very good advice, but more to the point, I'd strongly recommend one of Harley's touring bikes, i.e. Road King, Street Glide, or Electraglide. Although not my first Harley, I own a 2013 Electraglide Classic which I bought last August. I spent Memorial Day weekend in the saddle taking day trips from my home at the foot of the Blueridge Mountains. WOW! What a great weekend! I think that the Softails are very nice but limiting. Although touring engines shake at idle, the engine quickly smooths out; and the rubber mounts and floorboards do a great job of isolating the rider from the motor. The touring models do it all - great for cruising, backroads (my favorite), riding two-up, long distance hauls as well as day rides. I'd never owned a bike with all the goodies that the EG has; but quickly grew to love having tunes, storage capacity, and an extremely comfy ride. FWIW several Harley salesmen have told me that they've seen the greatest buyers' remorse from Softail buyers as they try to use them like the Touring models...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-28-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 AM

I traded a .38 pistol for my first motorcycle when I was 13. It was a beat up '47 Indian Chief which weighed almost 5 times as much as me. That was 53 years ago. Since then I have owned a lot of motorcycles including 17 Harley's. First thing I would say is I agree with the above post about taking the motorcycle driving course. I tried to teach my wife of 44 years to drive a motorcycle when we were 16 - she totaled that bike and came out un-injured. That was lucky.

I strongly believe there is no way another person can tell you which motorcycle to buy. You must make the decision. The above poster (RP) suggested a touring motorcycle. That fits his style. I have never owned a touring motorcycle and never will. I currently own a Harley Rocker C. I love to hot-rod my motorcycles and will continue to until I can no longer ride.

You didn't define your reason for owning a bike. You want a bike which has a radio, cup holder, windshield, massive comfortable seats. Or, you want a bike which feels like a motorcycle (to me) with the wind in your face and bugs in your teeth? ha!

So, my opinion is you are going to have to ride bikes until you can make your own mind up. Or, buy yourself an inexpensive which has enough power to move into traffic - until you have enough experience to know what you want. Or, just go for it and buy the bike you think you want.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 AM

I've never been much of a Harley guy myself, like them just fine, just prefer a bike that has some performance. My last bike was a BMW K1300GT, sport touring bike. That one scratched an itch and was probably my favorite bike.

Having said that, I like the new Indians by Polaris. The 2014 lineup looks great and the company has the heft to make it work this time for Indian. I myself would get an Indian before a Harley, just to be different.

Best advice you've had thus far is to take the MSF safety course and I completely agree with it. Best money you will ever spend on a bike and it's a blast too. Great fun. It is always my first recommendation to anyone wanting to get onto or back onto a motorcycle. Nothing like a refresher course to make you enjoy the ride that much more. Do it!

Finally, I would go with whatever Harley makes you a more confident rider. The one that fits you best, THAT only you can decide.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Yes since your basically a new a safety course is a good Idea

Back in 90 or so when I got back into MC's , I got my endorsement for my license there was a statistic of something like 70% to 80 % of all accidents involved people with 2 years or less experience.

I am more into sporty I have a Night Rod, so If it were me it would be the Wide Glide but honestly go and at least sit one them with the salesman holding them upright and see if one actually feels more comfortable for your size.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 AM

There is a growing trend in the motorcycle fatality stats which the OP fits.

It's the middle aged guy who comes to riding after leading a responsible life, raising kids, and now has time to do some things he wants to do. Goes and buys a big "ideal motorcycle" and then gets hurt/killed.

Get as much training as you can. Get as much paranoia going as you can muster because they really ARE trying to kill you - even if they don't know it!
Your own skills matter a lot- single vehicle fatality rates are pretty high for motorcycles due to loss of control situations.

I've been riding since 1979 - it's great fun. Just take it very seriously. Just because you can drive a 4 wheeled vehicle - that doesn't give you the mindset you need to cope with 2.

(And frankly, I think part of the Harley community will steer you into less safe practices for the sake of "image".)

EDIT- March 2016. My words remain the same. Before you Harley folk decide to take massive offense and come to find me to "correct" my misunderstanding feel free to read all the rest of the responses first. You probably have nothing new to add that hasn't already been said.

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-11-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add edit caution for the future Harley defenders
Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec214_rolyaT View Post
I am 53 years old, six foot one, and weigh 220 lbs. This will be my "first" motorcycle and I have only moderate riding experience.

I thought I wanted the Wide Glide until I sat on a Heritage Softail while attending a local CMA meeting, and now I cannot decide.

At 6'1" I think that Softail will start to feel awfully small and crowded after 100 miles. In addition, the mono shock of the Softail leaves a lot to be desired on a long ride. I have always liked the Dyna line, and owned a Dyna T-Sport for a while. My current ride is my 2002 FLHR Road King, a GREAT touring machine that handles very well, and is comfortable enough that even my 60 year old body can handle 400-500 miles with minimal discomfort.

Of the two options you present, I'd choose the Wide Glide in a heartbeat.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
There is a growing trend in the motorcycle fatality stats which the OP fits.

It's the middle aged guy who comes to riding after leading a responsible life, raising kids, and now has time to do some things he wants to do. Goes and buys a big "ideal motorcycle" and then gets hurt/killed.

Get as much training as you can. Get as much paranoia going as you can muster because they really ARE trying to kill you - even if they don't know it!
Your own skills matter a lot- single vehicle fatality rates are pretty high for motorcycles due to loss of control situations.

I've been riding since 1979 - it's great fun. Just take it very seriously. Just because you can drive a 4 wheeled vehicle - that doesn't give you the mindset you need to cope with 2.

(And frankly, I think part of the Harley community will steer you into less safe practices for the sake of "image".)
^^^^^
What he said.

Not intending to lecture you OP, but getting into motorcycling with little/no experience of ownership should not be taken lightly. Take a course before you buy. This will give you a sense of how confident you'll feel in handling a big bike. It can be intimidating at first.

I returned to motorcycling a few years ago after a 32 year hiatus when I used to ride a Honda 750 in the '70s. Before riding back in the day, I took a riding course...didn't stop me from doing dumb things though...I was lucky to survive.

Fast-forward to 2011, I took a course again and am a much more responsible driver now and I love it. Initially wanted a Softail Deluxe, but the fit just wasn't right for me at 5'-10-1/2" @ 195 lbs. I also tried a Heritage Softail, but when I tried a Road King, the fit was perfect, so I bought one and am glad I did because I find the RK to be the perfect touring/street bike because it is so convertible. I like taking off the windshield both for the totally open feel, and the old-school look that the RK has without the screen.

Between the two models you mention, personally I'd go with the Heritage Softail, but I do think you should consider a RK. I suggest you buy a used, low-mileage Road King, maybe a 2011 or 12. If you're lucky you can find one with the extended warranty/tire warranty.

Depending on why you want a Harley, I suggest not getting caught-up in the HD 'look/lifestyle'. The only HD apparel branding I adorn are my boots. Other that that, I ride fully protected with other brands, and I even wear a full face helmet (modular). Not really cool for an HD rider, but I don't care. I like riding, I like riding an HD because they look and feel great, but I want to be safe.

Good luck and be safe out there.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Over the years, I have owned 9 Harleys and a bunch of other motorcycles. I think the Dyna Wide Glide is a great looking bike. The feet forward riding position makes my back hurt in very short order. I owned a Heritage Softail - great looking bike, much more comfortable riding position, especially with the floorboards. That said, the bike doesn't have as much suspension travel as other bikes (HDs included) due to that "hard-tail look."

Given that you are a new rider, you are making a selection based on looks. Not that that is a bad thing - life is too short to ride an ugly bike; but I have to go along with the suggestion that you consider something like a Road King that has a very similar look to the Heritage, but the far more comfortable ride of the dresser line.

DEFINITELY take the MSF course. You will learn on their bikes, and it will be a good foundation.

For full disclosure, I sold my last motorcycle last year and have been having a blast with a scooter. Really? Yep, after 46 years of riding, I was about done. My wife suggested we get a couple small scooters. I scoffed... really, an actual scoff. Turns out, they fit our current lifestyle (no longer doing long distance riding, but travel a bunch by boat and RV). Shortly after getting the scoots, I sold my last motorcycle.

I'm not telling you that to try to dissuade you from getting a Harley. Owning/riding a Harley is a great experience. BUT, it is important to get the bike that will best fit your usage. With no experience, you really don't know how you will use the bike. Since we are on a guitar forum, it is akin to someone here asking, "What guitar should I buy?" Well, that depends on how you are going to play. Same with motorcycles - a decision now, without a proper foundation in riding, will likely result in a near future trade. And, like guitars, you generally don't come out ahead financially with a trade.

Good luck with the decisions. Take the MSF course. Ride like you are invisible. You will hear people say that other drivers are "out to get you." No, they simply don't see you. I have gotten off hard a couple times over the years, once with the dreaded "left turner"... that one nearly totaled a 3 month old Heritage and left me with doing months of physical therapy. It is easy to feel invincible when riding a Harley - don't get caught up in the hype, but enjoy the experience.

Best wishes,
Jim

One of my favorite Harleys from the past...

Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

While the big Road King etc. bikes do offer more long term comfort.

The actual question is what is the OP intended use ? Not everybody intends or wants to go in long tours
If it is predominately "touring" then thats one set of possibilities. Multi day 6 and 8 hour sustained rides with minimal stops for example do or should (if older) indeed require a premium be placed on sustained comfort.

If the use is predominately short rides 1 - to 4 hour with frequent stops, that opens up another set of possibilities, for example this is what we do and are very happy with our Night Rod. with bags and windshield

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Street Glide fan m'self.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Learn and experience as much about the contenders as you can.
Personally, I don't know one end of an HD from the other, but I do know this:
In the US, we buy a motorcycle because we want one, not because we need one. So, much like a guitar, buy the one that speaks to you.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec214_rolyaT View Post

Having gone through a Harley phase, please, please, please, ride a BMW boxer before you buy a Harley.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic