The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2015, 06:06 PM

Default Help setting up cost effective wired in ear monitors for acoustic solo.

Howdy,
I've searched the threads and other forums but I'm not really finding an answer to the question I have.
Specifically as a solo artist (let's put aside the should should not discussion of IEM) if one wanted to set up the cheapest but effective in ear system what are the options?
The monitors themselves are a given and highly subjective so in particular so I'm interested in the rest of the set up.

I have an acoustic play that runs to a small Behringer mixer. I have a set of sure 215 IEM. Now I thought I could just use an extension lead from my mixer headphone out or from the acoustic play headphone out.

In future I would like to run a click track and possibly vocal prompts in my monitors. So I thought of adding a 2 input belt pack. That would have volume mix and preamp built in. Perhaps the preamp would not allow headphone level input and I would need something like a second mixer?

At the moment I just want the easiest but effective way using my sure 215 wired IEM.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2015, 07:36 PM

Hi Mischief,
You can use either the headphone out of the mixer or the play Acoustic. I have used both. You might try this from TC Helicon as well. http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/product...adphone-cable/

In addition, Rolls makes some good headphone amps and volume adjustments that came be worn on the belt that uses batteries. If I can find it, I will post again.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:54 PM

Here is other options. http://www.parts-express.com/rolls-p...m_campaign=pla

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/tomahawk

Forgot to mention I use the room sense to hear the crowd through the headphones and use the headphone out of the play acoustic to monitor. I use aux in for the tracks. I am not using a mixer in most cases.

Is this what you are looking for?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm going to try a simple cord extension and plug into my acoustic play. I'll see if I can figure out how to hear the room sense through the headphones jack.
Aux in for the click track and cues (should I go that route.) if I end up using any subtle backing tracks or anything additional I'll have to figure something else out.
It would still be nice to have a volume control on a body pack.
I'm hoping if I perform out in a very dead space and utilize more reverb/delay etc that it won't throw me off in the monitors since I won't be able to mix that out separately.

Marty, when hearing using the room sense, does it pop in your ear or anything when using the hit button with your foot? Is it straight forward to set up and hear through the room sense mic? I haven't had time to check the manual how to do that yet.
Cheers

Old 11-27-2015, 05:50 AM

For room sense, there is an amount to adjust of how much you hear. Start out about 25%. I sat my iPhone across the room and turned on a you tube video with someone talking to see if I was able to hear it through the room sense and ultimately through the headphones. If set too high, you may hear every click of the pedal buttons.

You can easily do backng tracks through the aux in. There are various settings on how you want to handle the tracks once they come to the play acoustic. Under monitor, they just come to you and stay in the system (as in monitor mix from a sound board from other members of a band). Or you can send it back out in stereo through the two xlr to your PA or powered speakers (not sure what you are using there).

What are you using to generate the backing tracks and bring them to the Play Acoustic?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:19 AM

Hi Marty thanks for the reply.
That's great info. If I understand correct the room sense sound received will only feed my monitor and for the units use. It will not go through my xlr outs.

For backing tracks I am using nothing my at the moment. But I am looking primarily a click track and perhaps some cues in the monitor. I was thinking of using Bandhelper on my android tablet, I already use it for my lyrics with songbook.

As far as running backing tracks I wouldn't mind some subtle thinned down tracks. I have no clue about doing them. I spent one evening researching and it seemed there's a lot to it. I had spoken to one fellow musician and he mentioned he uses some system, ap or program where he buys the songs for a few $ and then has the ability to mix the tracks how he wants. He said he can just have one instrument play it all or any combination at whatever levels he wants. I've looked online but couldn't find anything like that.
I usually do covers but with my own flavor. So probably creating my own backing track is a better way to go?

Baby steps though as I'm a noob and have only played out a few times. I'm still getting sorted.
So far it's a Pono guitar-lyric-acoustic play-Behringer 1002fx mixer-single DBR10. Also I use a Sennheiser e935.
I set up with cables and stands a table holder. Tablet running songbook.

I also have 2X par 64 LED lights and 2x par 38 LED lights. No DMX controller yet but I'm also looking at using band helper to trigger a midi DMX controller for some simple lighting.

Any suggestions or insight on any of this is appreciated.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 AM

I tried backing tracks for a while. I, like you, do my own versions of songs. I purchased a program called "Band In A Box" to create my own backing tracks. I use that program to play them as well.

With this program, I can produce a song with several different instruments. I can play with the volume, EQ and effects from each instrument/track. I often create a song and delete or mute every track except the drums and bass. I may add something else like a cello, piano, steel guitar, etc. I may only do 1-3 songs with backing tracks and then the tracks are very subtle. I just want to make sure I don't sound too canned.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:04 AM

Thanks. I just checked out the website.
Is there a large enough variety in say country/honky Tonk or would it all start to sound too similar after a while?

Old 11-27-2015, 07:33 AM

Yes, there are different versions. Lots of Texas blues as well. You can add/change instruments to make variations. Tons of you tube videos. Watch some of them to get an idea what can be done. Try typing in "creating backing tracks with band in a box".

There is also a sister version that comes with the program called Real Band. It sets itself up well for playing backing tracks.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:00 PM

Okay thanks. Sounds very promising.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Be sure you have a limiter on the IEMs, or any feedback will destroy your hearing...
Old 12-02-2015, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the advice I just checked and the acoustic play has a built in limiter [emoji106]🏼.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:13 AM

For easy control, you can buy a small headphone amp with a volume control if your earbuds do not have volume. I have one at home that a company makes out of Altoid type cans. Prettty cool little toy.
You can run your line out of your mixer or pedal to the small amp and then plug your earbuds in and have volume at your fingertips if you mount the small headphone amp on the mic stand or somewhere easily reached.
REALLY important to protect your hearing though...
Good your pedal has a limiter.
davidc
Old 12-08-2015, 08:20 AM

I have been using the Play Acoustic and IEM system for about a year. The IEM system seems to work better than floor monitors as you don't have the feedback problems normally encountered with acoustic guitars. Here are a couple of things I learned: 1.The combination guitar/headphone cable is not very robust. Make sure you always have a spare. After a few months the IEM signal will most likely start cutting out. 2. I went to the Westone UM30 Pro earbuds (about $400). The Play Acoustic headphone out signal is not sufficient to drive most earbuds to a usable level for my hearing. The UM30's have a 124 dB sensitivity and don't require and additional headphone amp.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:39 AM

When I made the switch to IEM's, I didn't have much budget so I went the wired route for about 6 months of gigs. However, I knew that I eventually wanted to go wireless (and it has been a significant convenience since) so I factored this into which product I purchased.

This was a couple of years ago, but I purchased the Shure P2R (which is just the body pack of the Shure PSM 200 kit). The P2R could either be used wired with a 1/4" TS jack or wireless if you buy the P2T transmitter. The P2R has a limiter and volume control as well. I found the P2R on eBay for a steal (like $150) and then saved up to eventually by the P2T when I could afford it. I believe the P2R is discontinued and I just saw that the P3R only supports wireless transmittal and not wired.

The reason I went this route is because I didn't want to spend a chunk of money to go wired IEM's, then have to spend a full amount to convert to wireless only to just waste all the money I spent on the wired IEM gear. This allowed me to buy the same body pack and use it wired until I saved for the wireless transmitter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification