The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-12-2021, 02:46 AM

Default Pickin, what did you think?

https://youtube.com/channel/UCLH2uIdnL-4fyGoi34ahVrA

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 09-12-2021, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I make YouTube videos and I teach/mentor via zoom.

I tend not to comment on "how do you like my playing type threads,but I'll answer this one ...cautiously.

When I take on a new zoom client, I ask them to play some parts of two or three pieces, and in a few minutes I can note what I can help them with.

These come in various aspects: technique, right hand and/or left hand, timing, rhythm, sometimes singing and sometimes about stagecraft, and often about confidence.

Your picking style is fine. not unlike mine. Good bass lines and melody combined and consistent timing.

Improvement areas ?

1. Camera placement - in TV and cinema they use multi camera positions to make boring stuff look exciting. When we guitar nerds watch musicians, we want to see a clear, steady view of you (your face) and your two hands
We become what Stefan Grossman calls "the finger starers"

2. Pick! It sounds reasonably heavy - good but it also sounds scratchy. Maybe it needs polishing? Beveling?
this is really when a Blue Chip or at least a Wegen might help you - further, I'd suggest large triangle versions. It's not just me - I've met so many bluegrass and country pickers who use them.

Now we need to "see" you singing and playing!

Well done!
Old 09-12-2021, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

I don’t know what you are asking..l

I see what SM is saying about pick noise… regarding camera angles and placement… I am worse than you!

Picking and play? Awesome. You are smooth and clean. Is that an Eastman E10ss? Very warm and pretty tone.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:33 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Good technique and timing. Very smooth...
Old 09-12-2021, 07:01 AM

I thought it was well done
Old 09-12-2021, 08:37 AM

I think the picking was fine. I love hearing others use a pick- me, not so much
Old 09-12-2021, 08:49 AM

Default Pickin, what did you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I make YouTube videos and I teach/mentor via zoom.

I tend not to comment on "how do you like my playing type threads,but I'll answer this one ...cautiously.

When I take on a new zoom client, I ask them to play some parts of two or three pieces, and in a few minutes I can note what I can help them with.

These come in various aspects: technique, right hand and/or left hand, timing, rhythm, sometimes singing and sometimes about stagecraft, and often about confidence.

Your picking style is fine. not unlike mine. Good bass lines and melody combined and consistent timing.

Improvement areas ?

1. Camera placement - in TV and cinema they use multi camera positions to make boring stuff look exciting. When we guitar nerds watch musicians, we want to see a clear, steady view of you (your face) and your two hands
We become what Stefan Grossman calls "the finger starers"

2. Pick! It sounds reasonably heavy - good but it also sounds scratchy. Maybe it needs polishing? Beveling?
this is really when a Blue Chip or at least a Wegen might help you - further, I'd suggest large triangle versions. It's not just me - I've met so many bluegrass and country pickers who use them.

Now we need to "see" you singing and playing!

Well done!

Thank you for listening and commenting! I’m a big fan of your posts/videos. FWIW, I’m using a blue chip tp 48, to which I’m a recent convert. I’ve been playing for ~25 years, but only in the last few months did I pick up a pick - first a thumb pick, then this blue chip. It’s kind of funny how I only recently discovered the world of music that inspires me every day.

Last edited by JHey!; 09-13-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I don’t know what you are asking..l

I see what SM is saying about pick noise… regarding camera angles and placement… I am worse than you!

Picking and play? Awesome. You are smooth and clean. Is that an Eastman E10ss? Very warm and pretty tone.

I was just asking if any of y’all dig it. I’ve been practicing and want to share it with others, other than my wife, daughter and dogs. They like it but they’re biased towards me.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:53 AM

And yep, it’s an E10ss. A very sweet guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell