The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default I blame some of you for this order

So I had a moment of weakness and ordered a Squier Stratocaster deluxe in Daphne blue...I have owned a couple of Squiers and they have proven to be acceptable instruments, and then some. I own a Squier Telecaster that I used for a long time for live gigs and it has served me well.

Anywho, I wanted the maple fretboard and when I saw the Daphne/maple combo in the deluxe model (w/Seymour Duncans) I could not resist. I cannot find this combination for a Telecaster anywhere, so I settled for a Strat, which is just fine with me. I need another Strat, anyway...These are out of stock everywhere so it will probably be a couple of weeks before it arrives. Can't wait!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:23 AM

There's a fine line between "blame" and "credit." I think we deserve some credit.

Nice color! Nice Strat! Good choice.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Looks great.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Yes credit is a more fitting word. I admire anything that reminds me of 50's style, and this guitar fits the bill.
I must admit when I said I "needed another Strat" in the OP, that was a crock. Of course you all knew that.
In all seriousness, I had no intentions of purchasing another axe this year...It just happened. LOL

I still want a banana pudding Telecaster.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:32 AM

That's a nice looking guitar. I love the shapes and colors of electric guitars.

My experience has also been that inexpensive solid body electric guitars can generally make sounds as valid and as wide ranging as expensive ones (unlike acoustic guitars). In particular, single coil pickups seem to have more interesting variations across price ranges than humbuckers.

So there, I've helped rationalize your purchase. Enjoy!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-22-2017, 03:27 PM

That's going to be one sweet guitar. Looking forward to your review.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I like mine, also in Daphne blue. I changed the pots, switch, and tuners and it is one sweet guitar!

In the below pic, it's the one in the center.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Congrats! I like mine, also in Daphne blue. I changed the pots, switch, and tuners and it is one sweet guitar!

In the below pic, it's the one in the center.
^^One of the guys I blame. LOL
You have good taste, man. That's a fine looking wall!
I believe you have the only Daphne/maple Telecaster in existence. Seriously, they are near impossible to find. What a beauty. I'm guessing you like it since it is one of the only ones with a strap attached to it. Please message me if you ever decide to part with it!
I had already figured I will eventually change out the tuners. It shouldn't take too many changes to make it a very fine axe...One that will rival all my other axes.

Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward to running this thing through its paces, the gauntlet, so to speak, and will definitely post my thoughts on the overall capabilities and my impressions. For the money I expect it to be more than acceptable, just like the other Squier instruments I have owned and played. I've had really good luck with them. That's why I bought this one.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
That's a nice looking guitar. I love the shapes and colors of electric guitars.

My experience has also been that inexpensive solid body electric guitars can generally make sounds as valid and as wide ranging as expensive ones (unlike acoustic guitars). In particular, single coil pickups seem to have more interesting variations across price ranges than humbuckers.

So there, I've helped rationalize your purchase. Enjoy!
My experiences have mirrored your experiences, not to mention I am more comfortable making changes to electrics that I am comfortable doing myself, unlike some of the acoustic work.

I am also a fan of single coils. The Stratocaster is perhaps the most versatile electric guitar ever made and the standard S/S/S combination is one of my all time favs. The standard S/S of the Telecaster is also a definite fav.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
^^One of the guys I blame. LOL
You have good taste, man. That's a fine looking wall!
I believe you have the only Daphne/maple Telecaster in existence. Seriously, they are near impossible to find. What a beauty. I'm guessing you like it since it is one of the only ones with a strap attached to it. Please message me if you ever decide to part with it!
Seriously...where did that tele come from!?

As for the Squier Strat - i have one of the deluxe 70's models with those same "by Duncan" PU's and I'm generally impressed with them. They are very bright, so make good use of the tone knob.

That being said, I think this particular generation of Squiers make fantastic platforms for pickup tinkering, as the overall quality of the instruments is really quite good.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD77 View Post
Seriously...where did that tele come from!?

As for the Squier Strat - i have one of the deluxe 70's models with those same "by Duncan" PU's and I'm generally impressed with them. They are very bright, so make good use of the tone knob.

That being said, I think this particular generation of Squiers make fantastic platforms for pickup tinkering, as the overall quality of the instruments is really quite good.
I agree. I have owned a couple of them and they are very nice for the money. My standard tele squier is over 20 years old and completely bone stock, and it has been a work horse of a guitar. It needs a set up, but past set ups have been very simple. Just a little tweaking and it is ready to rip again.

I also agree the modern Squier instruments have stepped up their game. I have always found them to be more than acceptable, going back to the 80's, but some of these new CV models are just downright nice!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

You folks and your Daphne Blue..
Seriously, That Strat looks great!
Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
You folks and your Daphne Blue..
Seriously, That Strat looks great!
Thanks!
Yes I have an addiction to Fenders in various colors. Unfortunately for me the colors I like the most seem to be the toughest ones to find.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:29 AM

Cool! I love Strats, and already have 2 that are great, but seeing that blue one makes me GAS for another. And the Squier versions are so reasonably priced that it's very easy to rationalize the purchase...
I have to stop clicking on these threads. So, to the OP: now I blame YOU!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

But the burning question is "Who is Daphne ?"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars