The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Nodal/harmonic points

A result of playing my recent 12 Fret 0 build , I noticed that there is a nodal/harmonic dead on the middle of the sound hole .
This seems to have created the effect of exciting unfretted strings to produce sympathetic harmonic resonances/tones .
I find this to be a pleasing chime during play .
Am I correct in my assessment of this phenomenon ?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
A result of playing my recent 12 Fret 0 build , I noticed that there is a nodal/harmonic dead on the middle of the sound hole .
This seems to have created the effect of exciting unfretted strings to produce sympathetic harmonic resonances/tones .
What's a nodal/harmonic dead?

I'm assuming it's some sort of typo. But in my mind, anything that excites the strings without actually strumming or plucking is a good thing. If you feel that you don't like this effect, just leave a set of strings on for 6 months and you won't have that problem any more.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Yes you are correct, this should be similar to a natural harmonic on the 5th or 7th fret. I'd have to take measurements on your guitar but I'd guess 5th. A lot of guitars do this and fingerstylists capitalize on it
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Yes you are correct, this should be similar to a natural harmonic on the 5th or 7th fret. I'd have to take measurements on your guitar but I'd guess 5th. A lot of guitars do this and fingerstylists capitalize on it
The 5th fret harmonic is repeated at the 24th fret and the 7th fret harmonic is repeated at the 19th fret. So, it might be the 5th fret harmonic or the harmonic at around the 3.2 fret which is the also 31st fret.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

A touch harmonic at 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, etc. division points along the string's total scale length will get a harmonic. That's in both directions, i.e. from the 12th fret towards the nut or towards the bridge. The same harmonic point at the fourth fret occurs pretty much near the center territory of the sound hole.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-08-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:06 PM

It is more obvious and therefore useful on some guitars
Old 10-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

There are a bunch of harmonics in the sound hole area. That's the pinch harmonic zone, that electric and especially electric metal guitar players are familiar with.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 10-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Hmmm...

Firstly, the node in the middle of the soundhole is probably the 4th harmonic, as rick says, seeing as the centre of the soundhole is (in most acoustics) roughly half-way between bridge and 12th fret. The 4th harmonic node is at 1/4 string length, and produces 2 octaves above the open string. (Compare it with the 5th fret harmonic.)

Secondly, I don't understand what you mean by "created the effect of exciting unfretted strings to produce sympathetic harmonic resonances/tones". Harmonic nodes don't "create" such things (regardless of position). Unless perhaps you actually play the harmonic, maybe...

What makes unfretted strings vibrate in sympathy is fretted notes (or harmonics) that either have the same frequency as the unfretted strings, or share lower harmonics.
E.g., if you were to play that soundhole harmonic on your 6th string (if it is the 4th harmonic), then the first string would vibrate in sympathy, because it's the same pitch. You might also get sympathetic resonance from the A string, because its 3rd harmonic is the same pitch (near enough). You'd get the same effect from the 5th fret harmonic (on 6th string).

"Pleasing chimes" while you play may be due to all kinds of sympathetic resonances (from unfretted strings) depending on what notes you're playing, and is nothing to do with the position of a node relative to the soundhole or any other position. Harmonics are all about string fractions, as rick says. The nodes for fretted strings are of course in different positions from those for open strings.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 PM

On my 12 fret the 24th fret harmonic point is found about 1/4" below the center of the sound hole. The second node of the seventh fret harmonic is at the top of the sound hole. Other guitars might differ.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write