The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-30-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I know which G chords this describes but I don't understand the numbering used here. I would have referred to these as 320033 or 320003 which, of course, is frets, not fingers. Can someone tell me what do these numbers describe exactly?

I use the 4-fingered G only when playing a song that seems to be written for it, because it calls for Dsus or D/F or Em7... chords that are easier with that fingering, or if I need the sound of the extra 5th. Otherwise, I like my index finger free, too.

Sorry the numbers describe the fingers used to finger a 320003 G chord. So 3 = ring finger, 2 is middle, 4 is pinky.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I finger Am with the index on the B string, middle on G, ring on D, and my middle and ring fingers stay in the same orientation for Am, Em, C, little F, and G. You might find that position/motion easier on your hand.
Interesting. At this point, if all I am doing is a straight Am to C it’s no problem because I tend to move just slightly my elbow and my wrist to do it. However, if I am teasing my pinky on and off the G and D notes durig the Am, and then the C chord, I try to keep my wrist in one good position and move “only” the ring finger. That’s where I feel some internal push back in my “linkage.”
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 09-30-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Sorry the numbers describe the fingers used to finger a 320003 G chord. So 3 = ring finger, 2 is middle, 4 is pinky.
Makes sense. I was trying to put them in order somehow and couldn't make that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
Interesting. At this point, if all I am doing is a straight Am to C it’s no problem because I tend to move just slightly my elbow and my wrist to do it. However, if I am teasing my pinky on and off the G and D notes durig the Am, and then the C chord, I try to keep my wrist in one good position and move “only” the ring finger. That’s where I feel some internal push back in my “linkage.”
That sounds like it must be rather annoying. Would be interesting to see if this small change made a difference.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I like Slim II response. The best way to learn is to learn chords, then learn songs to play them in and then learn more songs.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write