The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-06-2017, 02:27 AM

Default Practice regime

https://www.dropbox.com/s/au59t1re67...F%20G.png?dl=0

The link is of a chart of scales that i use for my practice fingerstyle method ,i have made one for all 7 keys of "the major scale" (C) .

I can get the natural minor scales from starting on the 6th note of the major scales .

Took the scales from this site https://musicmotivated.com/ and i feel a bit bad coz i had to take off the advertizing to make them fit on one sheet per key using windows paint .

But thats it apart from wandering through some chords i am going to devote my time learning these scales fingerstyle
Old 05-06-2017, 03:54 AM

What that chart calls the A Pentatonic scale is either the A major pentatonic scale or the F# minor pentatonic scale.

The scale on your chart contains two sharps, C# and F#. The major scale of A contains three sharps. As well as the two already mentioned it has a G# but that is one of the notes omitted fron the pentatonic scale.

I'm thinking why bother with a web site that contains such a basic error?
Old 05-06-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
What that chart calls the A Pentatonic scale is either the A major pentatonic scale or the F# minor pentatonic scale.

The scale on your chart contains two sharps, C# and F#. The major scale of A contains three sharps. As well as the two already mentioned it has a G# but that is one of the notes omitted fron the pentatonic scale.

Thanks for the clarification straton i am gutted that these scales are incorrect as i have printed them off and laminated them already and i was all ready to hammer them ....oh well back to the drawing board .
Old 05-06-2017, 04:49 AM

You could still use them for practice. It was the name that was wrong,
Old 05-06-2017, 04:55 AM

How much time do you devote to playing tunes that might entertain someone?
Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
How much time do you devote to playing tunes that might entertain someone?
I play for my own pleasure but am hooked on theory ...i need to understand minor chords and scales better to be able to build them from memory in my head as i play (sort of freelance but following the patterns ).

I have played for a long time but never really learned the notes of the fretboard to be able to play fingerstyle on my own making music as opposed to covering music from tab
I'm determined to commit the fretboard to memory
Old 05-06-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze. View Post
I play for my own pleasure but am hooked on theory ...i need to understand minor chords and scales better to be able to build them from memory in my head as i play (sort of freelance but following the patterns ).

I have played for a long time but never really learned the notes of the fretboard to be able to play fingerstyle on my own making music as opposed to covering music from tab
Admirable, but don't let learning guitar interfere with learning music.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

Try these. I have hours of fun playing I IV V chord progressions with the pentatonics:

http://www.freeguitarsource.com/Blue...ues_Scale.html

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Since you are looking for another resource, it might help to think of it as one pattern being the same for all the minor scales. I say this just because you were apparently looking at a different scale shape for each key, but, I am learning the fretboard, too, and for the same sort of reason you are, to build the scales and chords as I play.
For me, it's much easier to think of just one pattern per scale starting on a different note for a different key.
The natural minor is
la ti do re mi fa so la
or
W-H-W-W-H-W-W
I can build that from any note without memorizing different shapes for it.

I've done a lot of work on learning the fretboard recently and it's already made a big difference in my improvisation. Would be happy to share ideas about anything you're interested in.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Admirable, but don't let learning guitar interfere with learning music.
Can you explain what you mean?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I think he means that sometimes our guitar geekiness gets in the way of making music.... But HHP is more than capable of answering your question, I'm just putting my 2 cents in. (slang for opinion).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-06-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post

I can't view the chart, but based on your post alone I can't see why you're calling this out as an error.

I looked over the site and didn't see anything that stood out as glaringly wrong.

Could you elaborate on this?

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 05-06-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Theory is not the foundation of music, its simply a way of explaining existing music. Learning scales and modes is useful so long as it is a means to music. I doubt any musician I respect or admire could do an F# minor pentatonic scale on demand. Nor would I even ask. I'd ask them to play music, not scales.

Most people are inspired to play based on experiencing music they are not content to just listen to. It is an emotional reaction more than an intellectual one. The real point is not necessarily understanding it, but to simply play music that appeals to you and others.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Theory is not the foundation of music, its simply a way of explaining existing music. Learning scales and modes is useful so long as it is a means to music. I doubt any musician I respect or admire could do an F# minor pentatonic scale on demand. Nor would I even ask. I'd ask them to play music, not scales.

I'm not disagreeing with your basic idea, but I think any musician could play an F3 pentatonic scale on demand.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I'm not disagreeing with your basic idea, but I think any musician could play an F3 pentatonic scale on demand.
I'd be more inclined to think most couldn't spell "pentatonic" on their first try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write