The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 PM

What are the shipping charges from the online vendor? After taking that into consideration, how much would you be saving?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
What are the shipping charges from the online vendor? After taking that into consideration, how much would you be saving?
The Bose L1C is on sale for $849 ...

Musicians Friend, Zzounds, Sweetwater, American Musical Supply,
all have free shipping and do not collect sale tax in most states.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM

I think supporting your local shop is important as most of us will check out products in the store before making a purchase. There will be no local shops to check out products soon if everyone is buying online.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Default sales tax

In wrestling with the issue of supporting local shops verses cheaper on-line stores, I finally came up with a practice that solves the issue for me. I pay the sales tax and buy local if everything else is equal.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM

You poor schmucks that live in sales-tax-collecting states! I feel for you (not really!) here in the frozen tundra of Montana, where there is no such thing!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
The Bose L1C is on sale for $849 ...

Musicians Friend, Zzounds, Sweetwater, American Musical Supply,
all have free shipping and do not collect sale tax in most states.
Jake answered a previous question for me (above).

I would be saving $66 dollars approximately.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I would consider what services I receive from paying the local sales tax. My guess is you receive some nice services from the sales tax such as snow removal, road upkeep, and on and on. Just sayin......
😂😂😂 It doesn’t sound to me like you have visited Southern California in recent years.... but that is kind of funny!

Actually, the biggest portion of the sales tax in this state goes to something called the “general fund,” which mainly goes towards education and health services. I do, however, appreciate your sense of community and optimism.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 AM

I always try to support local businesses first as long as they have the product I want and can come reasonably close to the online price.

That being said, and civic duty not withstanding, I've never heard of anyone getting busted for not paying the Use Tax from ordering online so I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I always try to support local businesses first as long as they have the product I want and can come reasonably close to the online price.

That being said, and civic duty not withstanding, I've never heard of anyone getting busted for not paying the Use Tax from ordering online so I wouldn't sweat it.
When I was a tax auditor, we regularly audited businesses for use tax violations, and often uncovered some pretty large violations (like a business buying a $100,000 piece of equipment from out of state and "forgetting" to report the use tax.

We never audited individuals solely for use tax violations...BUT...if we were auditing you for something else and picked up a use tax violation in the process, we'd stick you for that while we were at it.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 PM

The OP probably has a much higher chance of being struck by lightning than being audited (even higher if he's an employee). I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:08 AM

7.25% sounds pretty good from where I am sitting ;-)

Tax rate in Germany is 19%

Various stringed instruments
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 AM

I now make a point of trying to buy from a local vendor because I want them to stay in business. That being said, I buy a lot of stuff on-line. Mostly because its so darn convenient. And less expensive—-not even thinking about taxes. I go out of my way to get stuff from Guitar Center, because I value having a viable music store in my city.

Aside:
Big and wealthy states, such as California, have higher taxes because of the need for a complex infrastructure and support requirements that small states don’t have. California has about 40 million people, Wyoming about 1/2 million. As population increases, complexity of government increases faster. It’s not a simple linear scale. For example, at a certain population density, subways, public transit and freeways are a necessity. This is an extremely expensive undertaking. How many mile of subway exist in Montana? Since I live in California, I gripe about the taxes, sure, but my rational side understands the need.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Just cause you won’t get caught doesn’t mean it’s not cheating.

Buy it local, while there are still shops to go to. Tell the salesperson the truth about your dilemma — maybe you can get a discount or something extra thrown in for Black Friday.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Argh. This feels like a bit of a no-win situation. Any thoughts?
Walk into the local store, show them the online (tax-free) price on your phone, and ask if they're willing to match the out-the-door price.

They'll probably get you at least partway there.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
How many mile of subway exist in Montana?
Oh, we got lots of Subways in Montana. I love the Turkey and Meatball Subways, but my wife prefers the Sweet Onion Teriyaki Chicken Subway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification