The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Yikes indeed! I don't want to imagine just what an impact it took to accomplish that damage. And doubly sucky that no one owned up to it.

Maybe time for an overlay / pick guard art?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM

Maybe I shouldn't leave my Lucky at work too much longer. I've been lucky so far, but obviously these CF guitars aren't impervious to injury and is why I keep my X20 in a bag (and the Lucky at work) during my bathroom remodel project.

I think "Yikes!" pretty much sums up my sentiment too.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Maybe I shouldn't leave my Lucky at work too much longer. I've been lucky so far, but obviously these CF guitars aren't impervious to injury and is why I keep my X20 in a bag (and the Lucky at work) during my bathroom remodel project.

I think "Yikes!" pretty much sums up my sentiment too.
Yikes indeed, Tom, but I wouldn't worry about your Lucky 13 delaminating like that. In fact, while the wood veneer did delaminate on bsman's x7, it looks like the CF is still in tact.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:30 PM

I guess I'll also go with - Yikes !

On the positive side, a CF Git with some real MOJO !

That could be a first, congratulations Ed !
Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Yikes indeed, Tom, but I wouldn't worry about your Lucky 13 delaminating like that. In fact, while the wood veneer did delaminate on bsman's x7, it looks like the CF is still in tact.
I am not worried about nicks and cuts on either of my CF guitars though I generally try to avoid those situations (by keeping them out of construction zones). What I am worried about is someone taking one of these beauties for a joy ride and me not finding Baby waiting for me when I cruise into the office.

Besides being a good story to tell to scare all those baby guitars (aka ukes) into behaving better when they grow up, I bet Alistair will get in contact (if he or Sean hasn't already) to see if there is anymore information to gather. That looks like quite a crack and I would call it a chip knocked out (which IMO is over and above basic delaminating). That's clearly not basic wear and tear or moderate abuse or neglect even. That guitar had a pretty aggressive experience with Newton's third law of motion unless there was a defect in the manufacturing. Since the chip is missing I am going with something crazy happened and I blame the teenagers (some may be in their twenties) who clean the office at night. Notice I have no evidence other than a missing chip. This is how rumors get started.

Bottom Line - Yikes!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Maybe it is time to have an inexpensive, more expendable guitar for the office -- something like a used Yamaha 700, Big Baby Taylor, or a used Seagull. I'd rather pay for the cheapo used beater than that repair.....
Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
...I bet Alistair will get in contact (if he or Sean hasn't already) to see if there is anymore information to gather. That looks like quite a crack and I would call it a chip knocked out (which IMO is over and above basic delaminating). That's clearly not basic wear and tear or moderate abuse or neglect even. That guitar had a pretty aggressive experience with Newton's third law of motion unless there was a defect in the manufacturing.
Definitely not a manufacturing defect. Looks like that little beauty took a serious hit, which of course can happen with travel guitars. The big story here is that other than the esthetic blem, the guitar is still fully functional. Big thumbs up for that little x7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Maybe it is time to have an inexpensive, more expendable guitar for the office...
So I gotta know, does anyone on this forum actually work at the office.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Since my home play room is non operational at the moment (adjacent to another bathroom where the contractor became me as the last resort). I have migrated most of my guitars to storage (and probably should sell those), but a couple I still wanted access to. I only have the X20 (and a strat) at home as I just don't have the room at the moment. I currently have a PRS electric and the Lucky 13 in my office for quick access, and I keep a beater there regularly that I usually use to jam when the opportunity presents itself. So that is three guitars in the office (but no amp). The problem is that I can't resist the Lucky when there is a reason to grab a guitar, so it's getting a lot of love from new converts who like how it looks, plays and sounds. A couple of the guys are planning to drop by my house sometime now that they know I have a guitar there that they think I like better than the Lucky. Might be able to get some slave labor if I play my cards right. I try to tell them that the X20 and the Lucky are completely different animals, but they still want to pet the Emerald and see what kind of teeth it has for themselves.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Yeowch! That made my hind-end pucker. So sorry to see that. Not as bad as the tale here from the gentleman whose guitar got run over!

With that void being filled with epoxy, I wonder if anything could be done for it now. While no longer "blemish free," it is good that the guitar is still playable.

Pretty sure I would have to bring a polygraph in and line up the suspects.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the great replies, and for the information.

I will handle my CA OX with the same care against scratches and dings as I do my wood guitars.

Interestingly, I wasn't assuming a CF guitar would be "invulnerability" to these risks. To the contrary, I was actually concerned that CF may be "softer" and possibly more "brittle" than traditional back and side hardwoods. I am glad (and relieved) to hear that, if anything, CF is a little tougher and harder than hardwoods (in addition to also having the resistance to environmental swings).

Thanks again. Oh, and I too extend my sympathy to all those who have had CF guitars damaged.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
...Oh, and I too extend my sympathy to all those who have had CF guitars damaged.
Well Ed, I've owned, and traveled with more CF guitars than most, but I have yet to damage one, so most of us are probably safe.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:14 PM

No dings yet, but my Shorty has a clearcoat finish that's subject to scratches, pick marks, and swirls just like any other clear. I contemplated adding a pickguard, especially something clear, but I haven't yet. I've been fingerpicking more lately anyways, but I do have pick marks that should buff out.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
So I gotta know, does anyone on this forum actually work at the office.
I work from a home office, and surf the forum on computer #2 when the primary computer is otherwise tied up running a model or downloading a huge file from a client. No, I don't usually take much time to play -- that would definitely get in the way of working. I'm sitting at the desk anyway, so surfing is easy. Even so, I spend too much time here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Not as bad as the tale here from the gentleman whose guitar got run over! ....
As I recall that guitar was accidentally backed over by a car after some late night adult beverages in a campground. If he still has the pieces, we could do some impact testing on the carcass.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:25 PM

I do work at the office, but when I'm stuck home doing computer stuff, my mind wanders... usually toward guitars...
Old 09-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Guest 928

So, the lesson here is that CF instruments are not friend-proof.

Also, when I look at the wounded guitar the damage does not look like normally chipped wood. The blistering at the edges is strange and almost looks like heat damage. Odd.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber