The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Default 7 weeks later

Hello AGF

It's been 7 weeks since the surgery, and this is what my elbow looks like:

- Almost at 100% range of motion (can't flex all the way yet)
- No more tingling crises or burning sensation in my elbow when playing
- Loss of sensitivity in pinky / ring finger is still there, but that' something that'll take months to come back (if it does at all).

Nevertheless, it's been great to play again - I'll post a soundfile soon.

Cheers,

D
Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 PM

It's nice to read these updates, I'm glad it's going well.

I appreciate being made aware of something to watch out for. I just started guitar but I have a host of aches and wear and tear on arms and shoulders from previous abuse, I'll watch out for these symptoms among others.

Keep up with the healing and I hope you'll be playing before the last of your calluses disappear!

Folking around on guitar since January 2015
Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 AM

I had this issue a couple months back from one nearly all day guitar playing session. My hand was cramping but I'd shake it off and keep going...

I also lift weights which works out my grip as well.

Well, next couple weeks sucked.

It's better now. But I ALWAYS stretch my forearms now. Are there any good things to do for preventing this stuff?

I also find that my style of play is very hard on my hands if the fretboard radius is flat. I thumb wrap and it seemed to bother my hand (flat radius on guitalele I have). Less trouble with narrow neck and rounder radius guitars.

Good to gear surgery can be successful. My right hand has had what seems like mild carpel tunnel for years from writing too hard throughout college. That one seems to stay steady and it doesn't bother me tho.

Regardless, I want to keep my hands in wrist in best shape possible so any and all advice!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments, guys.

My calluses were long gone by the time I started playing again - the first couple of days burned my fingertips back into shape : )

In terms of prevention, always be aware of your posture and tension when playing guitar. My issue was not caused by guitar playing per se, but it's a worthwhile recommendation nevertheless.

Pay attention to discomfort.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM

I've been dealing with cubital tunnel symptoms for over 2 years. Mostly in my right (strumming) arm. Playing guitar, lifting weights and other repetitious things really bother it.

But my doc who is a surgeon doesn't really love doing the surgery if a person doesn't have muscle loss, etc. But I'm about tired of the tingling and numbness. I've seen a bunch of docs over the two years. I do the night splints when it's flared up and I've cut back on everything that causes the flair up.

But I hear the results are 50/50 which isn't good enough odds for me.

I'll keep an eye on this and see how you progress.

Also, my doc says most who do the plan A come back from the plan B so I don't know what to do!

and way too many picks...
Old 03-23-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
I've had the surgery on both wrists over the past five years. I'm doing great and no issues with mobility as far as the wrists go. Definitely recommend the surgery. I tried all the alternatives and nothing helped. Surgery was the only cure. Unfortunately now I am dealing with trigger finger and arthritis in my fingers - unrelated to the carpal tunnel issues in the past.
You had carpal tunnel if it was in your wrists. Cubital is in the elbow. Much more invasive procedure.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked View Post
I've been dealing with cubital tunnel symptoms for over 2 years. Mostly in my right (strumming) arm. Playing guitar, lifting weights and other repetitious things really bother it.

But my doc who is a surgeon doesn't really love doing the surgery if a person doesn't have muscle loss, etc. But I'm about tired of the tingling and numbness. I've seen a bunch of docs over the two years. I do the night splints when it's flared up and I've cut back on everything that causes the flair up.

But I hear the results are 50/50 which isn't good enough odds for me.

I'll keep an eye on this and see how you progress.

Also, my doc says most who do the plan A come back from the plan B so I don't know what to do!
Hi Inked

Thanks for sharing your current predicament, I certainly know what you're talking about.

Since having the surgery, I've felt an immediate relief in the pressure at the elbow joint. Though there have been two instances of tingling / numbness, neither was caused by bending the elbow past 90 degrees, but rather by applying pressure directly on the inside of my forearm (near the nerve) during sleep (awkward position). Recovery is decidedly slow, but the most important thing was to stop damaging the nerve, given that I was entering grip strength loss territory. The feeling in my ring and pinky finger is definitely still not back to normal.

As for 50/50 and "most" coming back for Plan B, I've heard a few different opinions. The doctor who operated on me said that there while Plan A offers a bigger chance of re-incidence, Plan B is a more invasive procedure which carries greater risk. He mentioned specifically that were I not a guitarist, he'd go for Plan B.

Ultimately, my nerve compression was compromising too much of my daily activity set - limiting quality of sleep, guitar time, exercise (none).

I hope this helps, we can PM if you'd like any specific info.

Best

D.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Hi Inked

Thanks for sharing your current predicament, I certainly know what you're talking about.

Since having the surgery, I've felt an immediate relief in the pressure at the elbow joint. Though there have been two instances of tingling / numbness, neither was caused by bending the elbow past 90 degrees, but rather by applying pressure directly on the inside of my forearm (near the nerve) during sleep (awkward position). Recovery is decidedly slow, but the most important thing was to stop damaging the nerve, given that I was entering grip strength loss territory. The feeling in my ring and pinky finger is definitely still not back to normal.

As for 50/50 and "most" coming back for Plan B, I've heard a few different opinions. The doctor who operated on me said that there while Plan A offers a bigger chance of re-incidence, Plan B is a more invasive procedure which carries greater risk. He mentioned specifically that were I not a guitarist, he'd go for Plan B.

Ultimately, my nerve compression was compromising too much of my daily activity set - limiting quality of sleep, guitar time, exercise (none).

I hope this helps, we can PM if you'd like any specific info.

Best

D.
I hear ya! Sorry you're going through this, but glad I'm not alone. I am going to have a hernia fixed in a few weeks. Then plan a visit back to the arm doc once I'm better. I'm thinking that I may try to get my arm worked on this summer. I'll keep you in the loop as it gets closer and I decide what to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write