The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM

Default Sounded TOO Good

Yesterday was at a local event , and there was a trio , guy on electric , lady on bass, and a drummer . I heard them doing some 60 and 70s stuff so approached and saw they had quite extensive equip , Bose etc .. but they sounded a little TOO Good to be true . I watched the lead player and he seemed to hang on an Am7 chord for every song ...I walked around the rear and there was some larger Ipad type thing on a stand , but not being used for reading words ...small print on it, but couldn't quite see, but Im sure that was 90% of the processed music, as I was hearing faint fiddles and organs , along with pronounced bass and electric lead which I really don't think was being played, only Vocals, which were OK ..I don't know who they were , but it was just a little TOO Smooth to be real ...I wouldn't have the nerve to even try and fake something like that... they must have gone to a lot of trouble to do so ...must be the economy ...every song was timed about a minute or so apart ...I left after about 3 songs, and could tell , something wasn't " quite right " .....
Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 AM

Wow! That's a funny story. Always look behind the curtain, I say!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
Yesterday was at a local event , and there was a trio , guy on electric , lady on bass, and a drummer . I heard them doing some 60 and 70s stuff so approached and saw they had quite extensive equip , Bose etc .. but they sounded a little TOO Good to be true . I watched the lead player and he seemed to hang on an Am7 chord for every song ...I walked around the rear and there was some larger Ipad type thing on a stand , but not being used for reading words ...small print on it, but couldn't quite see, but Im sure that was 90% of the processed music, as I was hearing faint fiddles and organs , along with pronounced bass and electric lead which I really don't think was being played, only Vocals, which were OK ..I don't know who they were , but it was just a little TOO Smooth to be real ...I wouldn't have the nerve to even try and fake something like that... they must have gone to a lot of trouble to do so ...must be the economy ...every song was timed about a minute or so apart ...I left after about 3 songs, and could tell , something wasn't " quite right " .....
maybe they were playing their instruments, but also using the ipad to add the fiddles, organs, and other instrumentation?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Plenty of solo musicians use backing tracks, often tracks they've laid down themselves.

I don't use backing tracks... I've never had anyone say I sounded "too good."

Maybe it's time for a change?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 AM

Nope, I've been round too long to know what Im seeing opposed to what Im hearing . When I see a lead player hanging on an Am7 and there is other lead guitar going on , it smacks of his volume is turned off, and he's not really doing anything cept singing possibly, which could also been pre-recorded lip syncing, I Dunno ...I wasnt gonna ask ...Guess it's hard enough to get a gig , now people are having to electronically enhance the entire performance , unbeknownst to non musicians ...as I said it sounded a Lil TOO Good ....
Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…...I left after about 3 songs, and could tell , something wasn't " quite right " .....
Hi ST…

Les Paul used a multi-track recorder just off stage for most of his career…

Not sure I'd have left just because I knew that.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-16-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Well this was no Les Paul . Certainly I've known about backing tracks, drum machines, MIDI and everything else people have been using since around the early 80s or before, but I guess it's just too easy now , where you're whole performance can fit into something the size of a credit card .
Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well this was no Les Paul . Certainly I've known about backing tracks, drum machines, MIDI and everything else people have been using since around the early 80s or before, but I guess it's just too easy now , where you're whole performance can fit into something the size of a credit card .
Hi ST999…

My point was that major artists whom we respect have used this technique regularly. It sounded great…not TOO Good.

I have a 25th anniversary DVD tribute to Les Paul by Jeff Beck, Imelda May, Brian Setzer, Trombone Shorty etc. Imelda did an entire group of songs where they seamlessly integrated Jeff Beck into her band, did all LesPaul/Mary Ford pieces…and Imelda had dubbed all the vocal parts Mary Ford style…impressive.

Paul Schafer (in the audience) enjoyed it immensely.

The only part of your statement I'd take issue with is the part about how easy it is to accomplish now days. I've done transfers of multi-track for live performances when I owned/operated a studio (both digital recordings and midi-synced versions) and it's rarely 'easy' to pull it off live.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Threads like this get me to thinking questions which I don't really have answers for.....

At what point in time does this slippery slope descend to a place where we no longer consider it live music or making music? If a band plays over pre-recorded tracks which they themselves recorded, is it still "live music?". What if the pre-recorded tracks were made by someone else (not the band)? What if the whole instrumentation is pre-recorded, in advance, by other musicians and the performers are only adding vocals (a la karaoke) and just posturing with the instruments? What if the vocals are lip-synced as well, and the performers just add banter between songs and visual interest -- are they even still musicians?

Maybe it doesn't even matter to most people........?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

I say most do not care...why would they..they are there to be entertained, so what if they use a bit of enhancing?
I think it's kinda lame that a person has to find something to judge them by.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Threads like this get me to thinking questions which I don't really have answers for.....

At what point in time does this slippery slope descend to a place where we no longer consider it live music or making music? If a band plays over pre-recorded tracks which they themselves recorded, is it still "live music?". What if the pre-recorded tracks were made by someone else (not the band)? What if the whole instrumentation is pre-recorded, in advance, by other musicians and the performers are only adding vocals (a la karaoke) and just posturing with the instruments? What if the vocals are lip-synced as well, and the performers just add banter between songs and visual interest -- are they even still musicians?

and what about looping pedals? or singers who sing along to melody tracks in their earphones? or even the metronome?

there is a local busker who plays saxophone to pre-recorded tracks, and he very good. but i would probably feel differently if the saxophone was prerecorded and the busker was comping chords (unless he was particularly good at that).

if a lipped-synched performer is dancing all over the stage, are they an entertainer at that moment, but were a musician before (when they recorded the track)? and how much atuotune is allowed? and how many takes?

it matters in a way to me, and these are interesting questions. i think i could write them for a long time.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 AM

I agree almost all don't care . They're too busy looking at the latest text message without walking into a telephone pole . Someone is paying these as a band , when they would , in my opinion - be a fraud . Again no one cares , it's music - and who cares from whence it came . Seems it's too difficult to really play an instrument , so just push the button , and magically the music appears ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write