The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM

Default Posture question: Keeping a dreadnought in balance

Hi all,

I have the - some would say bad - habit of wrapping my thumb around the fretboard. I do use my thumb in my playing, and my teacher said it's ok so I haven't worried too much about it.

However, last night, when trying to keep my thumb behind the neck, I realized that I unconsciously use my thumb to clasp the neck and keep it from swinging away from my body. If I keep my thumb behind the neck, the guitar pivots in my lap: Once released from my thumb, the neck slowly swings away, driven by the pressure exerted by my right elbow and forearm resting on the guitar's body.

I have a feeling this should not be the case. When I play standing up, the problem is much less pronounced.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Last edited by DesertTwang; 04-30-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM

I used to have a few playing problems like you, and found it was a result of poor posture while playing. My hand problems were a symptom of a larger problem. Try wearing a strap so the guitar is supported that way instead of by your hands, if you don't already. I've also seen a few recommendations for a NeckUp strap here. I play in something approaching classical position now with my dread with the neck not as high, and it feels really secure that way. My left hand is free to do what it needs to do (I'm a thumb player too) without worrying about the neck and my overall posture feels well balanced. My ending up in that position was the end result of trying quite a few different positions, and while it works well for me you may have different results. Try some minor changes here and there and see if you find something that fits you better.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
...Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
Hi DT...

Without seeing/watching you play, it's tough to make suggestions.

Best guess, wear a strap so you can elevate the headstock, or when you sit use a lift, so you can keep the neck from swinging.

I find with students, they are sometimes supporting/lifting the neck with their thumb. I start by having them elevate the neck so the headstock is at least at chin level. This moves the neck closer to the player's left side, reducing the swinging, and taking away the need to lift/control the neck.

I use a device called a NeckUp strap as a lift because it also allows me to set the guitar out near my right knee with feet flat on the floor, and the guitar body leans back toward my body and I don't move it around with my right hand/arm. It also spaces the back of the guitar away from the 'front' of me which allows it to resonate as it is designed to do.

Here's a pic of me using one with a mini-Jumbo, 000-12, and Dreadnaught.

Sorry for the choice of models to pose for me...limited choices lead to desperate picture takers…

Using the NeckUp I can adjust the position of the upper bout of a guitar body so it connects to me in the same place no matter which size guitar I'm playing, and keep my feet flat (footstools are tough on lower backs) and retain the right knee approach..

Hope you find a good solution.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write