The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 AM

Default Controling Tempo

I'm interested in some tips and techniques to help control tempo when playing solo. I've been recording my practice sessions a lot lately and I've realized that I have a bad tendency to speed up as a song progresses.

I've ordered a metronome and am going to start practicing with it. Any other advice?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RappahannockRag View Post
I'm interested in some tips and techniques to help control tempo when playing solo. I've been recording my practice sessions a lot lately and I've realized that I have a bad tendency to speed up as a song progresses.

I've ordered a metronome and am going to start practicing with it. Any other advice?
Hi R-Rag....

Yes - after you've used it for a week or two to practice with, start the metronome and count the tempo with your foot, turn off the metronome and start the song.

When the song ends, start it again and compare to see if you are improving.

Another suggestion is to find someone else to play along with as playing in ensemble encourages people to learn to play in proper tempo.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Common advice for such problems is to clap the time. Set the metornome to a comfortable speed and simply clap time once or twice (tapping your foot along with your clapping should help) before you begin playing. Repeat this exercise until your muscle memory tells you you're no longer holding meter.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

On recording day warm up by playing the song through a few times. Usually you will play
a little slower the first time or two through and then settle into a more steady tempo.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the tips! I play solo acoustic fingerpicking stuff so I really want to develop a steady rhythmic while playing alone. I'm looking forward to getting to work with the metronome!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Yes - after you've used it for a week or two to practice with, start the metronome and count the tempo with your foot, turn off the metronome and start the song.

When the song ends, start it again and compare to see if you are improving.
Thanks. I think this sounds like a good way to get started.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write