The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I wouldn't call myself a veteran fingerstylist, but I play with bare thumb and fingers. I can't get used to the feel of the thumbpick so far. Something about my thumb turning blue, LOL. Last week I picked up a flatpick for the first time in a while. I may start doing some work with that because it was alot of fun making up my own bluegrass type of tunes when I was younger and now that I have a Martin dread I can't resist the pull of the plectrum (LOL). I'm still going to keep trying the thumbpick because I really like Tommy Emmanuel's boomchick style and I wouldn't mind be able to play some of his tunes in this style.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-16-2009, 06:51 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I wouldn't call myself a veteran fingerstylist, but I play with bare thumb and fingers. I can't get used to the feel of the thumbpick so far. Something about my thumb turning blue, LOL.
Me thinks you need this:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PK6-HL-DELRIN.htm

PK6-HL-DELRIN .. large thumb hole, heavy gauge, delrin

Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Me thinks you need this:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PK6-HL-DELRIN.htm

PK6-HL-DELRIN .. large thumb hole, heavy gauge, delrin

Oooh, thanks mmmaak. I'll see if I can find it in the stores by me.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 AM

I play with very short nails—mostly flesh. I find that it requires a little more control. I have to be more precise and keep the fingers close to the strings; similar to the home position on a keyboard. Having the fingers “rest” on the strings is kind of like feeling your way around a dark room. It gives you a point of reference, a connection that you can feel. Whereas with long nails, I’m more likely to keep an air gap and touch down less often. That connection is great for cutting off notes. For example, a harmonic that you choose to let ring until conflicting bass note comes along. Let's see, thumb muting, rest strokes, tone, are few things to consider...

Once the nails are trimmed down, you’re committed for awhile! Although, one practice session and I think you’ll find that you adapt fairly quickly.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Hey thanks for posting everybody. Alot of good info here and of course I'm still as confused as ever. I feel like I have made some decent progress in the 5 months I've been practicing every day on my guitar. So I'll probably stick with strumming with a plectrum and using bare fingers and thumb for fingerstyle. After I gain some "chops" maybe I can try some different things like a thumbpick.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM

I've been giving bare fingers (no nails) and thumbpick a try for the last few months and I'm just not sure... On some days, I really like the tone I'm getting, but on others, my treble notes all sound muted and dull. It probably has to do with the amount of moisture in my calluses, which seems to vary wildly from day to day.

Today, my picking hand fingertips are a bit on the hydrated side of the "scale" and it's one of those days where most of my treble notes sound good to my ears, but there's the occasional dull/muted note:

http://www.scottallyn.com/music/farewell.mp3

I might try some alcohol on the calluses when they seem to be producing the softer/duller notes to see if I can dry them out a little bit and get some more "zing" out of them.
Wenge B/S Lutz/Cedar Double Top
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
I might try some alcohol on the calluses....
Maybe you should try some alcohol, period
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Maybe you should try some alcohol, period
Been trying that for years - it's not helping! But maybe if I dip my fingers into the glass....
Wenge B/S Lutz/Cedar Double Top
Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 PM

I have been all flesh for about 3 weeks now, having gone back and forth over the years. I am drawn to the sound, I especially like the treble and mid notes, they don't jump out in your face as much as with fingernails, but have more profound authority, I guess an understated sound that is appreciated more as you get used to it.

I really like the overall evenness of sound and the way I don't get a honker
( note struck too hard with a nail) that stands out. You do have to dig in a little more for volume, but the volume is different. I think bare flesh is tops for thumping, chugging stuff with some hard fingerpicking, and just deeply sweet notes: not sparkling, but clear ( sounds like an ad for a soft drink).

I have tougher skin on my non fretting fingertips, but no pads.They were a little sore the first 3 or 4 days, but I can play as hard and long as I want now and they don't bother me.

nails or not? both are great!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM

I feel more in line with my instrument and the piece I'm playing if there's nothing between me and the strings.

Good advice on here about the topic. I've thought about giving a thumbpick another try. But I'm getting old and resistent to change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write