The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Default In need of tips on how Bouree in E minor is meant to be played.

First of all, I've already learned the song, and it was surprisingly easy - it only took a few hours for me to get it fairly clean and up to speed. It is incredibly fun to play, though - even though I am playing it on a steel string. Here's where the problem lies - I don't have sheet music for it (nor can I easily apply sheet music to guitar quite yet), so I'm not completely sure where everything is as far as staccato notes, vibrato, etc.

I can play it easily both with all notes "regular" (non-staccato) and I can also play it with all the "in-between" notes staccato. If neither of those are correct, please tell me what is and I should be able to fix it up fairly quickly. As far as vibrato goes, I'm currently adding vibrato to anything fretted (not open, obviously) on the B and high E strings that's a quarter note in length or more (if there is a "more" - no need to be picky and check just to type up a post).

Thanks in advanced, everyone. Also, if you have a suggestion for something more challenging (but not overwhelmingly so) from either the baroque or classical period, please tell me what it is.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Have you youtube'd this to see how others are playing it?

Here's one example of many, many: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSg8t4zyLg

If I could actually answer your questions, of course I would have, but maybe youtube is a start.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 PM

That should answer the question...
Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
Have you youtube'd this to see how others are playing it?

Here's one example of many, many: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSg8t4zyLg

If I could actually answer your questions, of course I would have, but maybe youtube is a start.
I can't believe I didn't think of this. I haven't had internet for two weeks, and today being my first day back on the internet I guess I just completely forgot I could do that.

Sorry for the stupid questions, everyone. I could have solved this myself, I guess. My bad.

EDIT: And as it turns out, the guy in that video is playing the exact same version I play (I understand there are different ways to play it - correct me if I'm wrong). I wonder if that slide was intentional, because I don't do that and I'm not sure I like it very much...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write