The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-31-2009, 08:21 AM

Default Will any of you be cool enuff to fill me in

like what should i practice first on the guitar? i feel like im practicing everything out of order like 2 minute this,35 seconds that and its a total mess. can anyone be nice enough to give me a schedule on what to practice on 1st and for how long? id relly appreciate it. thank you
Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM

What sort of music do you want to play?

Strum along to accompany your singing? Flatpick fiddle tunes? Play bluegrass rhythm guitar? Country Blues licks?

Obviously you have to learn to get your left hand on the correct notes, how to strike the strings with your right hand and how to coordinate the two in a musical fashion. But a lot of the details vary with the style you're going to be playing in.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-31-2009, 08:40 AM

dont know. i just want to make my own chords and sing along to it i want be be a fast strummer so idk what style i want to play i just wanna play random chrds that sound good
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

You might start by playing simplified chords, perhaps just strumming the four treble strings in some cases. If you can find some songs that you can get through with one-finger or two-finger chord shapes, this will get you more quickly to a point where playing is more fun. Then, as things smooth out, you can build fuller chord shapes, adding in bass strings. The key is to make it fun. That, in turn, will motivate you to learn more stuff. If it's too much drudgery in the beginning, it gets pretty discouraging.

But, at some point, you'll have to put in some effort in order for your skills to grow. In the meantime, spending at least some of your time playing simplified arrangements can keep your motivation up.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

The teaching Ive done has been pretty informal..gitrlfriends, wives, my kids, etc...

devellis had some great suggestions.. about partial chords until you can grab wthe whole thing...besides. partial chords are important in playing in a group...many times you want to play a fragment instead of the whole 6 string chord anyway...I play sometimes with a guy who cant/wont play partial chords and it drives me crazy.

Anyway...I suggest that you find a song..a simple one, but one you like...dont worry if its dumb or silly ...and play it about a million times..then play it in another key...I used "Michael Row the Boat Ashore (heck, it was the 60s, ya know...)....my first wife used The Troggs "Your Love is All Around Me"...my second wife used "American Pie"..but play it, sing it, pound it out, have fun with it...while youre having fun youre building the muscle strength and memory you need....then..pick another one....and repeat...

http://www.myspace.com/dhenrymiller
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 AM

Sounds like you want to play chords and sing accompaniment. Nothing wrong with that. You need some fake chord sheet music and know how to play from it.

Let Google find the songs YOU want to play. Google these key words.
Guitar chords, "name of the song" comma and quote marks are important.

Here is what may come up.
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/ww...dColdHeart.cpm
Bookmark this site, I'm sure you can find some songs you like here.

OK you need to know the A7, D, D7 and G chord to play this song. Notice the diagrams are given to you - upper right hand part of the page. If you don't already know them learn them. Now I hope you know the tune to this song as fake chord will not help a bit. You have to already know the tune to play from fake chord. And yes your voice provides the melody and your guitar provides the chord harmony.

The A7, D is an introduction. Form and sound (strum) the A7 and D. Start singing and strumming the lyrics when you get to the word dream change to the A7 chord - keep strumming (all down strums will be OK for now) and when you get to the word scheme change back to the D chord. Keep strumming and singing. Picture is worth a thousand words:
http://www.5min.com/Video/Learn-Hank...old-Heart-3793

Learn your chords as you learn new songs. Have one new song going each week and learn the chords necessary for that song. Now put the finishing touches on last weeks song, i.e. you have two songs going in your practice sessions each week. When you get one perfected put the sheet music for it into your gig book. When you get 20 songs in your gig book start jamming with your friends. Notice I did not say start a band. Start jamming one night a week with friends. Best way to learn guitar is to play guitar with your friends. You will learn from each other.

I enjoy playing songs, I do not especially like spending a whole practice session on chord or scale work, but, if it is helping me play a song I don't mind spending the time.

Have fun.

Last edited by Malcolm; 07-31-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM

How long have you been playing?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayd3r View Post
i want be be a fast strummer so idk what style i want to play i just wanna play random chrds that sound good
Not again
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Juvi alert!! Hey, I just wanna be 15 again....well, no not really...

Strummin Random Chords will not sound very good....believe me...you have to have structure....but random is how you can get to structure, if your mind composes "on its own".

Just wasted some breath there...

Man, I just wanna be the Edge, or Super Grunge...or...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write