The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Wood conversion for Fishman Loudbox anyone?

I love my Loudbox mini so much, I also bought an Artist as well. Love both of them, but as others have mentioned, they dropped the ball on the "tolex" covering. Having built several guitars from scratch, I wouldn't think building a cab out of wood for the amps would be difficult. Anyone else have a go at it? Any tips or pitfalls?

TIA,
Dave F

ps...saw some beautiful pics, but no construction details here on AGF
Old 06-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Yes please!! A 'how to' thread would be wonderful.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

The flimsy vinyl covering on my Loudbox Mini tears and scratches so easily that I can't understand why Fishman continues using the material.

They are now offering their amps with a wood cabinet for a higher price. Based on my experience I would advise anyone buying a Fishman amp to go for the wood cabinet upgrade.

Does anyone here know whether it's possible to buy just the new wood cabinet from Fishman?

6/28 - I recently learned it is not possible to upgrade an old amp to a new Fishman wood cabinet. Fishman will re-cover your amp if you send it to them. They can be reached at [email protected] for additional info.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-28-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:54 PM

It is a limited edition model in mahogany. I see they are listed by Guitar Center on their website:

http://http://www.guitarcenter.com/F...C-adType%5EPLA

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 06-25-2017, 01:59 PM

I looked but never found wood cabinets for sale. I'd buy one if they were!! My Artist is still new so I'm not really worried about it yet. When the time comes I'll probably just build it myself, but some plans would be nice!!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM

I have been considering this as well. My thought -- although I have not dug into this much yet -- is why not just remove the two flat side panels? Those are the panels covered in the world's thinnest tolex. Using those panels as a template, one could re-engineer replacement side panels out of some attractive hard-wood (Fishman themselves has done this on a limited edition). Building an entire cabinet is probably outside of my technical abilities right now, but I can see just re-making the side panels out of some nice wood. Seems straight-forward, and gets rid of the tolex. I think it could look really nice as well.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I imagine it's possible to buy Tolex covering (like Fender uses) and recover the Fishman amps. It would take some care to make sure all panels are cut, laid-out, and glued just so but it would be cheaper and less time-consuming than building a wooden cabinet to the Fishman's innards.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

I called Fishman customer support about this. It is not possible to have them put an older amp into one of the new wood cabinets.

Fishman will re-cover your amp if the tolex is defective as seems to be the case with my Loudbox Mini. You can contact customer support if you have this problem and they will take care of you. [email protected]

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I have been considering this as well. My thought -- although I have not dug into this much yet -- is why not just remove the two flat side panels? Those are the panels covered in the world's thinnest tolex. Using those panels as a template, one could re-engineer replacement side panels out of some attractive hard-wood (Fishman themselves has done this on a limited edition). Building an entire cabinet is probably outside of my technical abilities right now, but I can see just re-making the side panels out of some nice wood. Seems straight-forward, and gets rid of the tolex. I think it could look really nice as well.
I thought the same way and then dug in and found out that its not.

The side panels aren't separate slabs. The entire box is stapled and hot glued as a single piece and the screws you see ate holding the pre amp box and the transformer and such to it.

If you're out of warranty you can take the pre box off, just to see.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 AM

Do you guys that have had noticed the tolex damage problems use covers?

I've had an artist for a few months now, and I travel with it a few times a week.

I always use the cover when in transport. It's still pretty much pristine.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I thought the same way and then dug in and found out that its not.

The side panels aren't separate slabs. The entire box is stapled and hot glued as a single piece and the screws you see ate holding the pre amp box and the transformer and such to it.

If you're out of warranty you can take the pre box off, just to see.
Well Danny,
THANK YOU for doing all of that preliminary work so that I don't have to!

Seriously, thanks for sharing those findings. The amp still sounds great; I guess I'll just continue beating the hell out of that flimsy tolex on the side panels!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Well Danny,
THANK YOU for doing all of that preliminary work so that I don't have to!

Seriously, thanks for sharing those findings. The amp still sounds great; I guess I'll just continue beating the hell out of that flimsy tolex on the side panels!

When the guy who made those stunningly gorgeous boxes for his Fishman amps, sorry to him for forgetting his name, I *really* wanted to make one for mine. I did ask him how hard it would be, skills wise, and he said not so bad. just be patient and measure right.

I never attempted it but did put it on my future projects list and did dig in to my amp to see.

I also asked if he put finish on first and, if Im remembering right, he cut the various pieces, finish sanded and finished them at their final shape and then put the box together.

That's just in case you do decide to make one.

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-26-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 PM

I'm not familiar with the loudbox, so my suggestions will only be very general. It should be easy to build a new wooden case for your amp. It is, after all just a box with bits of electronics stuck to it.

For the case, I'd most likely use a dense 5 ply (or solid timber if you like) so that the walls are about 1/2" thick You could joint the corners in any manner you see fit. A butt joint is the simplest, but can also be the weakest. Like everything measure twice, cut once. Any sound deadening material in the original could likely be transferred across to the new box anyway. If you want to retain the look of the original, all you need do is copy it in the materials you so desire, You could even make it in plastic, or sheet metal if you so desire.

As others have suggested, re-covering might be a good solution.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 AM

I believe "Dchristo" is the members name who has made wood panels for his Fishman amps. He may be the one to ask what it takes to make this happen.

Previous discussion with Photos of Wood panels
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

My mini is out of warranty, so I'm just gonna go for it. I am definitely planning on solid wood with varnish, to avoid re-covering. I build a decent guitar out of wood, but if anyone has seen my Christmas present wrap jobs, they would surely discourage any re-covering notions! I thought a box assembly would be necessary, rather than just side panels. That would be nice, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification