The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-01-2017, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Michael Bashkin Placencia OM Carpathian Indian Review

Howdy Folks, time to give a shout out to Mr, Bashkin!!! This review is not coming from a pink cloud frame of mind, I've owned her since September, I purchased this guitar directly through Michael at the 2016 Santa Barbara Show. I went to the event with no money in my pocket or plans for another instrument... I've successfully attended the Healdsburg Show 3 or 4 times and survived such a plan.. not this time... lol...

So of course there is a ton of outstanding instruments at such an event, The most primo talent in the Luthier World any direction you look... I played many guitars I obviously loved, and yes, wanted to own... But man, I just couldn't talk myself out of this Baskin..! and here we are...

I've played Bashkin's work numerous times over the years, and I've always been impressed, especially from an acoustic performance point of view... craftsmanship, playability and sensitivity have always been in the top 1% in my opinion... tone wise I've never played one that sounded so "vintage" as this one does... I've always put his tone more in the modern finger style vibe... And nothing against a great finger style guitar, but man, when you can mix the best of both worlds, vintage & modern Finger Style, Yummy, thats my cup of Kombucha...!

So this Bashkin has a dry, crisp and snappy, aged woody vibe that screams vintage... and thats a quality I "really" connect with... for instance, I'm a real sucker for an old 50's or 60's Guild with that good ole aged mojo, or a vintage Martin of course... But there is also a place I can never quite get in most true vintage guitars, a place that for me todays top modern luthier can deliver... to sum it up, this Bashkin gives me what I love about vintage guitars, and also brings me what I love about todays modern FS instrument... a level of complex bloom, balance, sensitivity, playability, and level of expression that only a Ferrari can bring...

I love a good sounding guitar of course, but for me, "feeling" what I'm playing is just as important... When I'm getting the stimulation in my fingertips as I play, and the box comes alive on my lap, I'm inspired, I can't put it down, I forget all my worries, and all is good in the hood... Expressive and Alive instruments really interest me... This Bashkin has tone I adore, and, a connection to my playing similar to what a fine classical guitar can deliver... Overall one of the most interesting and stimulating guitars I've ever had the privilege of playing.

I'll record a couple videos and post them soon... I'm not advanced in the audio department, just use an iPhone, but its still fun to be able to push play and have a listen at something! lol

So be on the lookout to play a Bashkin! He builds serious winners! Fer Realz and I can't say enough about the man himself, Michael is SUCH a stand up guy..!

Last edited by Diamondave; 07-23-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 AM

Looks sweet, give us some audio soon Dave, im curious how many gits are in your stable and how many you can keep in a regular playing rotation? I like the idea of multiple "great ones", but find when i have several the most physically comfortable is the one i grab for

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Really pretty. I'd love to see more of that back bracing pattern!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Every Michael Bashkin guitar that I have had the pleasure of playing has been stellar in every respect. Thanks for sharing your experience of this beauty.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-01-2017, 12:21 PM

The top on that is insane. Big fan of Michael's work!
Old 05-01-2017, 01:08 PM

I have to say; now there's a beautiful looking guitar. Bet it's sounds as sweet as it look's. Yes sir! That's pretty.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Congrats...

Despite retaining his signature aesthetics, Michael has been evolving his designs under the hood quite a bit. You will see a much flatter top dish radius and a more traditional bracing scheme compared to his earlier work.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Every Michael Bashkin guitar that I have had the pleasure of playing has been stellar in every respect. Thanks for sharing your experience of this beauty.

Best,
Jayne
Me too. Some of the best guitars I've ever played were built by Michael.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

This is indeed a very special guitar. I first played it in Memphis, and it was there that I signed up for a commission. I later visited Michael in Fort Collins, and played this guitar in his shop. A week later it went on temporary display at a museum at Red Rocks for about a year. Lastly, of course, he brought it to Santa Barbara where I got to play it again. According to Michael, it is the best OM he's ever made. My future commission is largely based on the sound of this guitar.

You made the right choice!!!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzOMGuy View Post
Looks sweet, give us some audio soon Dave, im curious how many gits are in your stable and how many you can keep in a regular playing rotation? I like the idea of multiple "great ones", but find when i have several the most physically comfortable is the one i grab for

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hello SCOMG, good question! and man, I have more than I need lets say, kinda like the crazy cat lady who has so many she stopped naming them! HA Well, honestly, I kinda grab whats at the top and most easy to get to... Some days I go hunting and dig from the bottom... Its funny, some of my most favorite guitars I find myself playing the least, because I'm always switching back and forth between others struggling to figure out what to sell next, bad habit... It seems I just can't stop buying... There is really no such thing is the perfect guitar for me, or one thats the best in the world etc and now I don't need others... I really just love playing them all, buying, trading, selling, tripping, confusing, lol its all become a lifestyle I guess... I've got GAS
Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
This is indeed a very special guitar. I first played it in Memphis, and it was there that I signed up for a commission. I later visited Michael in Fort Collins, and played this guitar in his shop. A week later it went on temporary display at a museum at Red Rocks for about a year. Lastly, of course, he brought it to Santa Barbara where I got to play it again. According to Michael, it is the best OM he's ever made. My future commission is largely based on the sound of this guitar.

You made the right choice!!!
Hi Nootis, yes, I remember, we met at the show! thanks for the words man... So hows your build coming, I forget, did it start yet? You went there and picked out the wood right? So exciting...
Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the kind words Folks! Go Bashkin...! And yea, I LOVE the top on this one, they say LOOKS don't matter, but man, a superb looking top really is the icing on the cake... I've heard Michael has been making some changes to his builds as well, and yea, I was always a fan, but now I'm a member
Old 05-02-2017, 12:01 PM

This was one of the most memorable guitars for me at Santa Barbara. The kind of guitar you strum once and you just know-

Awesome!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Michael is a close friend of mine and one of the most thoughtful and creative luthiers I know. We get together a few times a year and I always look forward eagerly to good conversations, shared stories and bad jokes.

The LS redwood/Panamanian rosewood 00 he made "with me in mind" (because he thought I might like it), is more than extraordinary, it is Unique, meaning simply that I have never heard another guitar that has a voice like this one.

It sounds like... well, I can't think of anything to compare it to, but you can read more of my attempts to describe it and see lots of photos on my review page by clicking on the "'09 Bashkin 00-12 fret" link in my signature below.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Hi Nootis, yes, I remember, we met at the show! thanks for the words man... So hows your build coming, I forget, did it start yet? You went there and picked out the wood right? So exciting...
No it hasn't started. It should be very soon though, and I'll post a thread here when it does.

Yes, I went through Michael's wood selection, and whittled it down to a beautiful set of Panamanian Rosewood and Zircote. Based on my preference of a slightly "bassier" low end, Michael suggested the Zircote. It will be paired with a Carpathian top of Michael's choosing. In fact, I was holding your guitar when he asked me what I would change (tone-wise), and my answer was pretty much "nothing"!

Until then, I'm nursing a nasty dog bite on my left middle finger, so for now I can only drool over this forum and my small collection. I am hoping that it won't impair my playing for too much longer (it's been 3 weeks!).

- Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop