The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Default Pete Huttlinger's Mcguire's Landing

I purchased Pete Huttlinger's song book especially to learn this song, but his tab is very different at a certain point than his youtube versions. The problem is, I want to learn it the way he plays it, particularly from the beginning of page 3. I wouldn't ask anyone for this if I had not already paid for the book, but can anyone provide me with a more accurate tab for this part of the song? If you compare his tab to the youtube version, it is different and much nicer.

Much appreciated!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Hi Rick,

Which book do you have?

I own all of Pete's published work. I can see some differences between his arrangement for solo guitar in the "McGuire's Landing" book and the one in his book "Pete Huttlinger Collection Vol 1".

Also, which video are you referring to? By my account there are at least 3 different videos of him playing the song. (Elixir Strings, Acoustic guitar mag, Nashville High)

Ultimately, what I think what you are facing is that Pete played this tune a little differently every time he played it.

I used to play this tune using information from both of the arrangement in his books. What I did was try to do the best that I could to emulate his playing of the song knowing that my playing habits are going to affect the final sound.

You might also contact Lance Allen. If I'm not mistaken, he was a friend of Pete's. I know that he is very familiar with Pete's work and posted his own video of this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1tSKOv1Gc

Good luck

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 07-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Hi Rick,
I sent you a PM on this.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-12-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Hi Rick,

Which book do you have?

I own all of Pete's published work. I can see some differences between his arrangement for solo guitar in the "McGuire's Landing" book and the one in his book "Pete Huttlinger Collection Vol 1".

Also, which video are you referring to? By my account there are at least 3 different videos of him playing the song. (Elixir Strings, Acoustic guitar mag, Nashville High)

Ultimately, what I think what you are facing is that Pete played this tune a little differently every time he played it.

I used to play this tune using information from both of the arrangement in his books. What I did was try to do the best that I could to emulate his playing of the song knowing that my playing habits are going to affect the final sound.

You might also contact Lance Allen. If I'm not mistaken, he was a friend of Pete's. I know that he is very familiar with Pete's work and posted his own video of this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1tSKOv1Gc

Good luck

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have Pete's McGuire's Landing book. Looks like Lance plays it by the book. This is the version I am looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBbc5KZzblk

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JZJZ_UeOVc

I know they are a bit different, but I like the extra notes and variations he adds to accentuate the bass and melody notes.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 07-12-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm. I have several of his works that are autographed. They are a bit beyond my skill level. Maybe I should list them.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Hmmm. I have several of his works that are autographed. They are a bit beyond my skill level. Maybe I should list them.
Sorry, but I don't follow what you mean
Old 07-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Sorry, but I don't follow what you mean
I have a few of Pete's guitar songbook collections. They are autographed by Pete. The songs are hard for me. I should dig them up and put them on eBay for someone else to enjoy. I have considered donating them to his wife for a fundraiser.

How did I get the autographs? Pete was a guest of Steve Krenz on his video series as part of his Learn and Master guitar course. They offered the books for sale and Pete signed them as a promotion.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I have a few of Pete's guitar songbook collections. They are autographed by Pete. The songs are hard for me. I should dig them up and put them on eBay for someone else to enjoy. I have considered donating them to his wife for a fundraiser.

How did I get the autographs? Pete was a guest of Steve Krenz on his video series as part of his Learn and Master guitar course. They offered the books for sale and Pete signed them as a promotion.
If nothing else, someone could benefit from them. Why not?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:47 AM

Sure, if you aren't going to use them.. Sell them here or on E-bay

Most of my items from Pete are also autographed. I was fortunate to have seen him perform and met him a bunch of times here in Connecticut during breaks in his shows.

During one of the breaks in his shows, I asked Pete about one of his arrangements & explained my difficulty in getting the playing down. He grabbed me by the shirt sleeve and took me backstage and walked me through it. Best guy ever... Man, I miss him!!
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 07-14-2017, 07:58 PM

I guess I will figure the song out on my own in time, just thought to speed up my learning curve.

Regards!
Old 07-15-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I purchased Pete Huttlinger's song book especially to learn this song, but his tab is very different at a certain point than his youtube versions. The problem is, I want to learn it the way he plays it, particularly from the beginning of page 3. I wouldn't ask anyone for this if I had not already paid for the book, but can anyone provide me with a more accurate tab for this part of the song? If you compare his tab to the youtube version, it is different and much nicer.

Much appreciated!
I sent you a GuitarPro file and a PDF. Hope it is the right one.

Martin 000-28 12 fret Adirondack Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write