The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Default DAW or Daw

Ok, here's a terribly trivial question.

I understand DAW stands for "Digital Audio Workstation" but does one say, "Daw" (like an actual word) or, "D. A. W." (As three separate letters like VCR)?

Just wondering...

PJ
Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Use "Daw" among people using one.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

In my admittedly limited experience, only two classes of people use the short forms of words like DAW: The ultra-cool guys from Hollyweird whom everyone looks up to and the nerdish wannabees, who typically use the syntax, "Heh... Heh... I've got a really cool Daw in my bedroom. Wanna come see?" Regardless of the source, the first typical response is:

Then, in the case of the nerd, the second response typically is sneered: "Nerd! Push your glasses back up."

Okay, just messing with you. But never having been a cool Holyweird mixer or sound editor and being a tad bookish, I've always feared being classed with the nerds (and I do wear glasses). Truthfully, I've never really been mistaken for cool, so I call this device a Digital Audio Workstation out of school and simply a workstation when I'm with my colleagues. Oh, and I do sometimes call one the box to the engineers at work when I'm discussing that new plug-in that "blew up the box" so it no longer works.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Well Bob pro audio engineers exist in their own little worlds with their own inside vocab.
Juss messin' with ya.
I think it is safe to say for the vast majority of "prosumer" home recordists, that the acronym is pronounced as a single word as often if not more than as letters or the words the acronym represent . And they do so without pretence of cool or wanting to be anything
Functionally shorting the three letters to a single word, is little different in actual intent, than shorting the three word name to a single word.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-12-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well Bob pro audio engineers exist in their own little worlds with their own inside vocab.
Juss messin' with ya.
I think it is safe to for the vast majority of "prosumer" home recordists, that the acronym is pronounced as a single word as often if not more than as letters or the words the acronym represent . And they do so without pretence of cool or wanting to be anything
Functionally shorting the three letters to a single word, is little different in actual intent, than shorting the three word name to a single word.
Oh, yeah. I was more joking about my own tragic un-hipness than anything else. Here I am living a third of my life on DAWs and have no idea how the rest of the world "out there" pronounces the word. I've come to realize that "bookish" is defined by having a large vocabulary, the majority of which you've never heard spoken by a living human being.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD