The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Just notice something about my US-122 phantom power

The volume can't be tuned all the way down. I can move the US-122 all the way to the 0 volume level and the recording volume all the way down in my DAW, but the phantom power still gives volume to the mics. I'm not sure if I like this, lol.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

A lot of microphone preamps do provide some small fixed amount of gain to the microphone regardless of where the gain knob is set. Sounds like you have fairly sensitive mics too - if you tried a less sensitive microphone you might not notice anything.

-Mike
Old 07-05-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The volume can't be tuned all the way down. I can move the US-122 all the way to the 0 volume level and the recording volume all the way down in my DAW, but the phantom power still gives volume to the mics. I'm not sure if I like this, lol.
Phantom power doesn't provide volume, it provides the 48v of electricity the many microphones (mostly condensers) need to operate.

If you're using a microphone that requires phantom power, and you don't want that mic to record a signal and you don't want to unplug it, you can turn off the phantom power for that channel (assuming each channel on your unit has an on/off switch for phantom power).
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 AM

Like Jim says, phantom power does not give volume. Do you mean that you are getting bleed to the other input channel?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Like others have explained; (1) phantom power doesn't control volume but having it on allows the condenser mic to function (2) some preamps still provide some gain (i.e. 10 to 20dB) when set to minimum. But, this shouldn't adversely affect what you are trying to accomplish. When recording I simply leave the phantom power on, and once the preamp gain is set I leave it alone as well (set the preamp gain to achieve the record levels you want when playing the guitar at the volume you'll be playing at when recording). Use your DAW faders, or mute controls, to control the volume as required for record/playback.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Like others have explained; (1) phantom power doesn't control volume but having it on allows the condenser mic to function (2) some preamps still provide some gain (i.e. 10 to 20dB) when set to minimum. But, this shouldn't adversely affect what you are trying to accomplish. When recording I simply leave the phantom power on, and once the preamp gain is set I leave it alone as well (set the preamp gain to achieve the record levels you want when playing the guitar at the volume you'll be playing at when recording). Use your DAW faders, or mute controls, to control the volume as required for record/playback.
Ok thanks. I'll have to see about the preamp gain. There doesn't appear to be any control for it other than "off".

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok thanks. I'll have to see about the preamp gain. There doesn't appear to be any control for it other than "off".
On your US-122, the preamp gain controls are labeled "INPUT L" and "INPUT R". When rotated clockwise toward the "mic" setting gain is higher and when rotated counter clockwise toward the "line" setting the gain is lower.

Also, you could use the Phones or Line Out volume control on the US-122, instead of the faders in your DAW, to control the volume to your headphones and/or monitors.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 07-06-2017 at 02:07 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD