The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Default Tonewood Amp Installation tips

After gassing one for quite some time, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. I've watched just about every video out there.

As the title indicates, I'm looking for tips from those who have installed them in their guitar for tips on the installation of the bracket inside the guitar.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

It was pretty straight forward to the video instructions. Definitely take your time and try a couple trial runs without removing the sticky pad covers. Be very careful of the braces inside. That was my issue. The first few time going in and out I kept hitting the braces and ended up removing one of those sticky pad covers and bunging it up a little before finally installing. But they give you extras anyway.

The painters tape works well. Sometimes the suggested distance won't work depending on the body size of your guitar. I think their suggestions are based on a dread or larger body and I was putting mine in a 00 size body so I had to adjust the position of the main unit so the inside X brace was not touching an braces. Also be careful if you have electrics inside the guitar. The wires are something you'll have to contend with while practicing with the X-brace install. I had a K&K in mine.

Take your time and have fun. It's a fun effect.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:34 PM

I agree completely with Methos.... I went all out and use it with my Ipad and the midi guitar and sample tank apps...

I really like to add the grand piano, some violins and choir to my playing....

I normally start using any device without reading the instruction book but after several months I did read it and that has helped me to understand the settings and how to use them better.

I switch the amp between a steel string, a crossover and a classical guitar... it really can add a lot to your enjoyment and the sound of your guitar....

Have fun...
Old 06-24-2017, 05:11 PM

My plan is to install it in my Cordoba GK pro. My biggest concern is getting my big hand into the soundhole to install the bracket.

Dave
Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 PM

I have one in/on my Cordoba GK Studio Ltd.... Did scrape some skin off the hand getting the magnets installed.... I, too have a big paw....

I put the bracket up against the back brace farthest from the soundhole... works great....

Good luck... gene
Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Do a search on AGF....I posted some pictures of a technique I used which really helped me.

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Check my post.....I found this installation technique to work really well!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=396570

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 01:28 PM

Thanks Todd in Chicago!!

My amp arrived yesterday... I've done the blue tape boogie and tried out the amp... Love it.

After 1-2 trial runs, it appears my biggest hurdle will be getting my hand fully into the sound hole.

Maybe I'm missing something, but determining the location of the amp on the back of guitar seems to be more a function of where you prefer it rather than where the amp works best.

So my next thought is that it might be easier to place & adhere the bracket inside the guitar close to where you want the amp. THEN apply the amp to the back of the guitar.

It seems like having the magnets pulling the bracket to the location is asking for mistakes. Especially when dealing with close quarters inside the guitar
Old 07-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Holey Moley what an ordeal installing the bracket was for me.

#1 My hand barely fit inside the sound hole & then move around to be able to properly place the X bracket per the video.

#2 My Cordoba GK Pro has a brace that goes across the back almost directly opposite of the saddle. Because the guitar is pretty narrow, there wasn't a lot of clearance for the bracket to pass through.

As luck would have it, the best position for the amp required that the X bracket straddle the brace to be in the right location.

My recruitment of my wife to help was of no help... she couldn't get her hands inside the guitar to place the X bracket either. Renting a child for this process was not an option.

So, Yankee ingenuity went into play. I spent the weekend working on several designs of a flexible tool that would let me get the bracket into the guitar and place it in the right location.

All day yesterday & again this morning. I did trial runs and fine tuning the tool or installation. Each time that I had a failure, I fine tuned my tool or the process.

After 3 consecutive successful trials this morning, I decided that it was time to do it for real & peeled off the adhesive covers. As soon as I got it close to the internal brace, the X bracket hung up by sticking to the brace!!! I thought I looking at complete failure. But I was able to free it and get it to the location of the amp and the magnets took over from there. SUCCESS!!

The make shift tool was some old flexible copper wire. I then twisted pieces numerous times to make a decent sized flexible tool. I used small pieces of blue painters tape to attach the bracket to the tool. It wasn't pretty but it worked!

YAY

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification