The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi bill... I did have an opportunity to hear K&K and JJB side by side (not in the same guitar but both in hand built, and properly installed)... If asked, I'd still recommend the K&K Mini - especially if one is going to just plug straight in without a preamp.
Thanks very much Larry. As always your observations are important to me... based on years of reading your responses on a wide variety of topics, I trust what you say. K&K it is!

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
They don't... the method of installation is exactly the same. You superglue the three transducers to the bridge plate.
I thought K&K says directly under the saddle, while JJB recommends installing behind the bridge pins?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie22 View Post
I thought K&K says directly under the saddle, while JJB recommends installing behind the bridge pins?
I've had both setups now - The behind the bridge JJB sounded less 'piezo' like, but has a slight issue with string balance. The K&K, under the saddle, was more direct and peizo sounding, but the string balance was better to my ear.

For my money, I'd stick with the JJB, if you want an SBT.
However, my recommendation now is the Lyric, which I think is wonderful.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie22 View Post
No, they both go under the saddle. Look at their answer to the question "What is the best placement locations for the piezo's?" http://jjb-electronics.com/FAQ.html
answer for convenience:
We HIGHLY recommend this tutorial put together by Rob
DiStefano over at Fret-Tech (link here). Although this is for a
K&K Pure Western Mini, ours installs the same way. The jig
method ensures an accurate placement and is the best we have
seen.

They link to this guide http://frettech.com/kk/
Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 AM

I've noticed that a number of you have used the K & K minis with a Baggs Para DI. It is my understanding that there is an impedance mismatch here but those using them have not indicated any discernible problems. Can someone please address this? I am having a K & K mini installed in my Martin and I also have the Para DI. Just wondering what issues may need to be addressed.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbee View Post
I've noticed that a number of you have used the K & K minis with a Baggs Para DI. It is my understanding that there is an impedance mismatch here but those using them have not indicated any discernible problems. Can someone please address this? I am having a K & K mini installed in my Martin and I also have the Para DI. Just wondering what issues may need to be addressed.
As long as your input impedance is over around 500K, there should be no issue. Higher impedances are fine in spite what what we read on the internet, and lots of people use PADIs and K&Ks. Have you tried your K&K with your PADI?
Old 06-30-2017, 11:40 AM

Not yet, I'm having it installed in a few weeks, but I was just wondering how widespread any mismatch would affect it. Not a big deal at all, just curious. Thank you for the reply.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:40 AM

I have used K&K's in 3 different guitars with a Fishman Spectrum Aura and had very positive results with all 3.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbee View Post
Not yet, I'm having it installed in a few weeks, but I was just wondering how widespread any mismatch would affect it. Not a big deal at all, just curious. Thank you for the reply.
One challenge with impedance is that people usually only compare different preamps, and it's easy to assume that any difference in sound is because of impedance, when you're actually comparing two different devices with completely different designs. To see the impact of impedance alone, you need to be able to change just the impedance, a feature that isn't too common. I have a Grace Felix which offers switchable impedances, 5 different, so I did a test. Here's what happens when you switch *only* the impedance with a K&K.

From the soundcloud description: This is a test of the effect of input impedance on various guitar pickups using a Grace Felix preamp, which has 5 different impedance settings between 2 channels (both channels have 1M). The test consists of a short lick played with 3 impedance settings on channel 1, 1M, 10M, 10K, followed by channel 1M, 20M, 330K.

This is recorded direct, sequence is: 1M, 10M, 10K, 1M, 20M, 330K

Here's a repeat of the test, but this time, playing thru an amp and recording the sound with a mic. Same sequence of impedances

Your PADI may sound different from the Felix, of course, but this is at least an apples-to-apples comparison of the effect of impedance alone.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:56 PM

Thanks for doing that, Doug! Very interesting.

I don't hear any difference except for on the 10K setting.
Even the 330K setting seems "close enough".

_Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification