The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-28-2017, 06:38 AM

Last night I heard another player who was unable to get enough signal from his iRig Acoustic Stage for the PA setup at an open mic. Luckily, I had a preamp with me which we inserted into the signal chain to boost the signal to an adequate level.

This was the same open mic where I was unable to get enough signal (from my own iRig Acoustic Stage) on the previous week. As I mentioned when commenting on that event, I suspect that the host could have boosted the master level on her little PA, but then she would have had to lower the levels on all the other channels.

In any event, anyone taking the iRig Acoustic Stage to an unfamiliar open mic would be well-advised to bring an extra instrument cable and a basic preamp along, just in case a signal boost is needed. That's especially true if you want to avoid a compressed signal. As I mentioned in a previous post, the iRig Acoustic Stage compresses or limits very obviously when the volume knob is all the way up. That's a definite design flaw, in my opinion, but I nevertheless believe its a great little product for the price. One can avoid compression with the volume knob set halfway, or with another work-around which I mentioned in a previous post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification