The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 AM

Samson products are solid - we have had the 308i PA system for 5 years w/no problems so the Samson XP106w that scootch mentioned may be a good option,

We also own the Street Cube EX. It provides everything the Samson does and then some. It is loud, well built and reliable.

Go with the Roland Street Cube and you're done. It will do what you need. Even on the high setting batteries last several hours in the EX. These things are built like tanks and can actually be used as a stool if needed.

For 300 bucks I doubt you'll find anything superior.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-25-2016, 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Luckily there is a Roland street (not ex) in a store near me so I can try my ubass and guitar. No ac33 near me to try tho. Carvin is about 5 miles away from where I live, I can't afford the AF stuff but I will still try it. The Sunburst gear is also on the list. I have a month to try these out before the playing starts. Can the cube street or mobile cube handle a ubass? I not, I might just splurge for a Phil jones double four but I don't think that would do well for guitar or vocals..
Old 05-25-2016, 11:20 AM

I've been using the Roland Street Cube for about 2 years now for small, outdoor 'acoustic' weddings and it's done a pretty decent job but I have to be mindful of my placement to avoid a quacky sound. I use it with a Shure SM58 mic and my Godin nylon string guitar and have gotten quite a few compliments with it---it definitely gets the job done. I've used it successfully for weddings with up to about 30 people. The good thing about it is that it has 3-band eq on both channels as well as separate effects for each; and 6 AA batteries last forever!

I think it would be perfect for a jam session but I've never plugged a bass guitar in it so I can't comment on that.

However, I just purchased the Roland AC-33 as I've read only great things about it and it's supposedly a step up in the sound quality. FYI, Musician's Friend has a 15% off sale= $60 off the $400 AC-33.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

Last edited by Kalani; 05-25-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
How do you like the overall sound of the Sunburst? Please let me know ASAP as I have a wedding to play on 6/3 and with Amazon Prime I would have to order one today to have it by early next week, giving me time to experiment with it before the job. thanks, Gene
Is the wedding outside? Are you going to put vocals and guitar through the amp?

At 20 watts with smallish speakers the M1 model I have is probably a little too small for that. I'd use it for solo guitar at a small outdoor wedding but wouldn't put vocals through it.

I've never played the M3 or M6 but my feeling is they would have enough power. 30 watts and bigger speakers. Still depends on what you are putting through it.

At least with Amazon Prime you'd be able to return it. Wouldn't help your practice schedule though.

For an outdoor wedding ceremony where I was playing solo guitar and providing PA for the officiant I'd grab my Crate Limo. I'm still jonesing pretty good for the Sunburst M6BR8 so I'd like to hear what you do.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Consider the Carvin S600B. It looks like an EXCELLENT option.
The S600 does look good especially for just guitar and vocals. My feeling is that you'd probably need the companion battery-powered sub for wider range material (bass, drums).

That would make for a nice six-channel system that includes Bluetooth and a wireless mic all in two boxes. All battery powered if necessary. That setup is near $2000 however.

When I don't need battery power the AG300 does a lot of that for me already. I add a wireless mic once in a while if the venue needs it and I use a little Bluetooth receiver to play tracks and break music from my phone when appropriate.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:05 AM

I might have to look at an external battery pack. Will the Duracell power pack 600 be safe to use with Fishman loud box mini?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:43 PM

The Duracell 600 has a 26ah battery in it, should give around 6 hours with a Loudbox Mini. That set up will out power and outsound almost every option you're considering. I've been using a battery powered Loudbox Mini for around 8 months now , on the streets, and it's a great amp for the job.
Answering another of your earlier questions, a guy came by with a fretless bass last week and ran it through my set and it didn't hiccup. I was amazed at how well the mini performs as a clean, loud bass amp.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:04 PM

If you're going to be using your set a lot, I'm thinking that it might be best to suggest an amp that has an external effects loop and a sweepable mid. That way you can be sure that you're a fan of the effects section and will have some useful feedback control.

Though the Loudbox Mini is impressive, especially for how small and inexpensive it is, I think that the Loudbox Artist has enough feature enhancements to be worth the extra size, weight and cost.

I've been testing three amps as alternatives, the Schertler Jam 100, Loudbox 100 and Gens Genz Benz Shen.Compak 300 8" and the differences are pretty dramatic. It's been awhile since I last played through the Loudbox Artist but my memory of its sound has it as, for me, the best of them yet.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
I might have to look at an external battery pack. Will the Duracell power pack 600 be safe to use with Fishman loud box mini?
I would only use a pure sine wave inverter on anything electronic or with a motor. Modified sine wave inverters (like the Duracell) are fine for heaters and maybe some lights. I know some people get by using the cheaper inverters, but there are lots of issues (noise, vibration, reduced reliability/life, etc.) that I don't need to expose my Carvin to.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I would only use a pure sine wave inverter on anything electronic or with a motor. Modified sine wave inverters (like the Duracell) are fine for heaters and maybe some lights. I know some people get by using the cheaper inverters, but there are lots of issues (noise, vibration, reduced reliability/life, etc.) that I don't need to expose my Carvin to.
Any recommendations for one? This is all very new to me. I want to get this right the first time, cant go throwing money on the wrong stuff.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
The Duracell 600 has a 26ah battery in it, should give around 6 hours with a Loudbox Mini. That set up will out power and outsound almost every option you're considering. I've been using a battery powered Loudbox Mini for around 8 months now , on the streets, and it's a great amp for the job.
Answering another of your earlier questions, a guy came by with a fretless bass last week and ran it through my set and it didn't hiccup. I was amazed at how well the mini performs as a clean, loud bass amp.
Is that the same battery you are using? I went to my local guitar too and I was also surprised it works well for bass. No wall shakers tho, but that is not what I am after. Also tried the roland street (not EX), and it was pretty okay, but I wont go with it. So far the nicest I tried is the phil jones double four, surprised a guitar sounds well on that.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Found a Carvin AG100D for cheap, I think I will just go for that if I can find a power supply for it.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
Any recommendations for one? This is all very new to me. I want to get this right the first time, cant go throwing money on the wrong stuff.
I have a Cotek SK200-112, about $150 thru Amazon now (it was $130 when I got mine earlier this year). I picked it after reading about several brands. Be aware this is an inverter only - not a packaged system like the Duracell. You still need a battery, cables, some way to package and transport, etc. You need to pick the right power rating - if you decide to overkill and get a 1 kW inverter when all you need is 300 W (for example only - I don't know what your amp actually draws) you'll run down your battery needlessly due to the inherent inverter efficiency dropping under low load. If you're further interested let me know and I can send you a PM with more info.

I sized mine based on the rated input power of my amp (100 VA). I sized the battery (35 amp-hr) based on the current I measured my amp pulling from the wall (converted to a DC current supplied from a 12 volt battery) and the need to be able to run my amp for 5 hours on a charge. Not hard, but I have a solid professional background in electronics and power generation.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:20 PM

I have a 26ah lead acid that was one of the lead acids I've used. I was more fond of the 18ah and, if I were to do it again, I'd buy two of those (if I were still using lead acid that is).

I'm with Mandobart on the pure sine inverter too but the word is that the modified domes work fine . Look to pure sine if you plan on using the battery often. I use a Powerbright Aps300. I recommend it. Can be bought at amazon $130.

These days I'm using lithium batteries and a fast charger. Most of it was described in detail on the recent thread
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=427595
Old 05-27-2016, 12:11 AM

Some notes on choosing inverters and chargers. Look for inverters that have fans that are heat regulated. Many of the cheaper ones (pure sine included) utilize 'always on' fans. Fans make noise.....

Many cheaper inverters use fuses that are board soldered. Only buy inverters that use fuse holders (and carry an extra fuse). The most common fuse blowing cause is reverse voltage. I've done this twice in eight months. It's easy to be careful with this but some brainiacs (like me) only learn via experience. My other inverter that has board soldered fuses is currently toast (some 3 months later) because I haven't had the time to find and solder on a fuse holder. Only but inverters that have fuse holders oem.

USB connectors are nice but you can buy cheap adapters.

Buy a charger that pushes at least 15 amps. Larger batteries take too long to charge otherwise. Many people can get by with overnight charging routines but I quickly learned that it's too time intensive and you'll end up wanting your charging done asap.

I use a 25amp charger and it's still not fast enough.

If you're handy and like to repurpose stuff, there are machines and devices that use excellent pure sine inverters and sometimes these are combined with battery chargers. Many times you can find these dirt cheap , used on eBay. Uninterruptible power supplies (the best, expensive ones) are excellent for this. Dead ones can be found on midtown street corners year round.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification