The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Default Budget Electric Amp, Reverb pedal, Overdrive pedal?

Hey everyone,
I will be playing electric for a church soon, but I do not currently own an electric amp. I used to be an acoustic guitar player for another church, but I recently moved. I don't know much about electric amps since I was primarily an acoustic player.

I think my budget is around $200-$300 and the venue size can hold 500 people I believe. I was looking at BOSS Katana 100w 1x12 (looking for a used one), but any other suggestions?

As for reverb, I currently have a RV-6. Will that suffice? I looked into the possibility of selling it and getting a walrus descent or maybe an neunaber immerse. Is it justifiable? (I really like the design of the descent, but it may be pointless in this case lol).

Also for overdrive, I really like the PCB little green wonder. I'm looking for a first stage overdrive (not too gritty/dirty). Any other suggestions?

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks

UPDATE: The bugera deal didn't go through (was asking for too much) and
i was too impatient to wait for the holiday deals. Ended up getting a peavey classic 50 (the new-styled ones) for $275. I like how it sounds so far, only con is that it's pretty heavy.

Last edited by JKW-HTX; 12-03-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 PM

I think the Katana already comes with all of the amp sims and effects, no?

It's even advertised as "Leave the pedal board home."
Old 11-28-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
...I will be playing electric for a church soon...I don't know much about electric amps since I was primarily an acoustic player...I think my budget is around $200-$300 and the venue size can hold 500 people I believe...I'm looking for a first stage overdrive (not too gritty/dirty). Any other suggestions?

My current gear/board:
SX Furrian telecaster
Misson pro Volume pedal
RV-6 reverb
DD20 giga delay
TU 3 boss tuner
Moor Yellow compressor
Joyo Ult Drive
ditto looper
Lifelong CCM/P&W musician and former worship leader here - a few thoughts:
  • How much of that pedalboard gear will you really use/need on a weekly basis (IME - little if any);
  • Will there be a keyboard player or two - if so, leave the fluff to them (keys do it better anyway, and too much guitar processing gets in their way big-time), focus on developing a straight-ahead signature tone that'll work in any situation, providing a distinct voice against the keyboard(s), and use your volume pedal to accentuate solos/roll back accompaniment/kill the sound during non-musical sections of the service;
  • For a 500-seat house think in terms of a 40-50W analog solid state, or 20-30W tube amp, with channel-switching capability (again, chances are you won't be using more than 3-4 presets on a modeling amp - and with a little practice you should be able to duplicate them on your analog rig);
  • Corollary to previous point: some guys just prefer solid-state rigs for the power/weight ratio or (usually) lower cost of admission (I'll use a SS combo every so often, for much the same reasons) but if you only need first-stage OD and tone is first and foremost, IME a low-midpowered tube amp is the way to go - which leads me to:
  • If you decide you don't need the pedalboard consider selling/trading it in whole or part, add the proceeds to your existing $200-300 budget, and get something like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V22InfiCombo
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V55Infinium
I own the first-run version of the former, and it's been my go-to amp for the last several years: built-in digi-verb (some of the best built-in I've heard BTW), a foot-switchable OD channel, enough grunt to handle a 600-700 seat venue with no problem (done that) - and if your signature style runs to cleaner tones the identically-featured 55-watter wouldn't be overkill (it's all about headroom and dynamic range, not just sheer volume)...
Hope this helps...
Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post

Hah, I didn't even notice!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Lifelong CCM/P&W musician and former worship leader here - a few thoughts:
  • How much of that pedalboard gear will you really use/need on a weekly basis (IME - little if any);
  • Will there be a keyboard player or two - if so, leave the fluff to them (keys do it better anyway, and too much guitar processing gets in their way big-time), focus on developing a straight-ahead signature tone that'll work in any situation, providing a distinct voice against the keyboard(s), and use your volume pedal to accentuate solos/roll back accompaniment/kill the sound during non-musical sections of the service;
  • For a 500-seat house think in terms of a 40-50W analog solid state, or 20-30W tube amp, with channel-switching capability (again, chances are you won't be using more than 3-4 presets on a modeling amp - and with a little practice you should be able to duplicate them on your analog rig);
  • Corollary to previous point: some guys just prefer solid-state rigs for the power/weight ratio or (usually) lower cost of admission (I'll use a SS combo every so often, for much the same reasons) but if you only need first-stage OD and tone is first and foremost, IME a low-midpowered tube amp is the way to go - which leads me to:
  • If you decide you don't need the pedalboard consider selling/trading it in whole or part, add the proceeds to your existing $200-300 budget, and get something like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V22InfiCombo
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V55Infinium
I own the first-run version of the former, and it's been my go-to amp for the last several years: built-in digi-verb (some of the best built-in I've heard BTW), a foot-switchable OD channel, enough grunt to handle a 600-700 seat venue with no problem (done that) - and if your signature style runs to cleaner tones the identically-featured 55-watter wouldn't be overkill (it's all about headroom and dynamic range, not just sheer volume)...
Hope this helps...
Thank you very much! This helps a lot. The pedals I think I would use most are VP + Verb for swells and an OD + compression for lead lines. The other pedals are one's I had for a while (looper, ult drive) that I stuck on my board so I may sell them. There is one keyboard player who leads the "quiet" moments and he often incorporates pads.
Thank you for sending me those links, I'll try to avoid the modelling amps as I have heard from other guitarists as well. I saw a used Bugera V55 for $350 earlier today so I'll take that option more seriously. Here's the link:
https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d...397083745.html
Old 11-29-2017, 03:56 AM

Mustang gt amp and leave everything else at home.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Mustang gt amp and leave everything else at home.
For the budget stated I agree the Mustang GT should be a very decent amp, but isn't the Mustang a single channel? Of course he may be fine with a single channel, but it is something to consider.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:01 AM

Used Blues Jr

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
...I saw a used Bugera V55 for $350 earlier today so I'll take that option more seriously...
PSA: There are sales, coupon offers, one-day/one-hour specials, etc. of all kinds going on during the Christmas season; you could probably land a brand-new/in-the-box V55 for similar money (and the V22 for even less ) - shop around, and don't hesitate to call the dealers and ask for a better price...
Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I saw a used Bugera V55 for $350 earlier today so I'll take that option more seriously. Here's the link:
https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d...397083745.html
Make sure it works and offer 300.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Are you going to be mic'd through a PA?

I've heard really great things about the Katanas...and there's a 50watt version, no?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
For the budget stated I agree the Mustang GT should be a very decent amp, but isn't the Mustang a single channel? Of course he may be fine with a single channel, but it is something to consider.
I've not used the current model Mustang, but they are modeling amps with easy ability to switch between presets. Various models over the years have slightly different ways this is accomplished, but regardless of those differences, these include pressing a button on the amp's control panel, pressing a foot switch (just like one would typically do with a "multi-channel amp") or using a app on a computer or tablet device.

I too have heard good things about the Katana, and I suspect their capabilities in this regard are similar.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM

If any of you follow Steve’s amplifier posts you notice his appreciation for the Bugera (Buger I call it,) and he has lots of experience with it. I and another poster followed his recommendation and both bought one without hearing it first. I could not have been more pleased.

The Buger is extremely versatile in its tonal and sound capability and a LOT of tube type amplifier for the money. My blind faith in Steve has paid off with a wonderful piece of gear that is serving me very well. It filled a large room we call our fellowship hall, but is really a combination gym and cafeteria with acoustics you would expect of such a room.

I teased Steve about the commission he must have earned recommending these units, but in fact it is a very good recommendation from a trustworthy and helpful man. If you only need one channel and you buy the V22 I fully expect that you will never look back.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Are you going to be mic'd through a PA?

I've heard really great things about the Katanas...and there's a 50watt version, no?
Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad. Many people are comparing it with tube amps which is a good sign for the Katana. Yes there's a 50W version for cheaper.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=JKW-HTX;5551284]...snip...
I think my budget is around $200-$300 and the venue size can hold 500 people I believe. I was looking at BOSS Katana 100w 1x12 (looking for a used one)...snip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post

You have answered your own question. It will be hard to find a better choice than the Katana. With holiday sales you can probably get a new one for $300. I always worry about buying used amps.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
electric amp, overdrive, pedalboard, pedalboard setup, reverb