The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Easy guys. Take your corners.

I'm now better edumacated on the various amp sounds available. I've listened to dozens of recordings, to my bandmate's Vox AC30, Fender Princeton 68, and Fender Super Champ, and to a music shop employee on a Fender Mustang 40 GT.

I believe that for what I do, a modeling amp is gonna fit the bill. I hear the musical sag, and the oddly warm sparkle of tubes when run quite loud, but the cost analysis fails me right now.

So I'm pretty sure I've decided on a Boss Katana 100/50/0.5 W head. That'll give me five main amp "flavors", and a whole truckload of Boss engineered effects at bedroom volumes, and the ability to power a cabinet if needed, and a recording output.

Thank you very much for your input.
Good on you for doing some homework!

This set up sounds like it will work just fine, and nobody knows what you need more than you.

I agree there are modeling amps that more than fit the bill. I like tubes, but I have modeling amps as well and find them to be very enjoyable with lots of versatility. You can get a lot of bang for your buck with a good modeling amp. They are durable too. Absolutely nothing wrong with your choice, so feel good about it. If you ever decide to go with a tube amp down the road, you can go that route.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't sweat the amp thing too much but expect maybe to not necessarily get the right one the first time, it takes some playing to really figure out what you're going to want in the long run.

I gotta try one of the Boss Katanas. I can't stand the Fender Mustangs I've tried.. they feel like they absolutely require sitting down with the comptuter to tweak. I've never tried the Katana.

I have an Orange Tube amp that has 0.5/1/7/15w power options. It does a great job at being able to dial in the range of breakup at different volume levels. I have a Yamaha THR as well that I got more recently and it's very nice but it feels very manipulated and digital as you play it. It feels like there is always a compressor on that is messing with things compared to full analog tube amps. But at least a lot of the modelers don't have big problems with hiss and noise. My first amp was an Orange Crush and it hissed and made noise like crazy. Quite a few other analog SS amps that were inexpensive that I've tried also seemed to have that issue.

I've had my current Orange about 7 months and I still feel like I'm learning new things every day about ways to make it do different things based on how I attack the strings. The responsiveness has been pretty educational.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Easy guys. Take your corners.

I'm now better edumacated on the various amp sounds available. I've listened to dozens of recordings, to my bandmate's Vox AC30, Fender Princeton 68, and Fender Super Champ, and to a music shop employee on a Fender Mustang 40 GT.

I believe that for what I do, a modeling amp is gonna fit the bill. I hear the musical sag, and the oddly warm sparkle of tubes when run quite loud, but the cost analysis fails me right now.

So I'm pretty sure I've decided on a Boss Katana 100/50/0.5 W head. That'll give me five main amp "flavors", and a whole truckload of Boss engineered effects at bedroom volumes, and the ability to power a cabinet if needed, and a recording output.

Thank you very much for your input.
The Katana will no doubt serve you well, the most important thing is to play it and have fun. PLease post some pictures when you get the Guitar and Amp all together

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-26-2017, 04:13 PM

After selling some gear, I've pulled the trigger on my first electric guitar and amp. 'Hope I've done the right thing. I'll send some pics and audio files when I can.

Ibanez Talman Prestige TM1730M - Tri Fade Burst
Ibanez TSA15H 15-watt Tube Head
Ibanez TSA112C 80-watt 1x12" Extension Cabinet
Ibanez IFS2G Footswitch for TSA15H
Strymon Flint
Old 11-26-2017, 05:03 PM

If you bought the items in your signature:-

Strymon Flint

I think you made some good choices there. The guitar is made in Japan, nice take on a Fender and probably very nice. They get great reviews anyway.

Likewise the Ibanez amp, supposed to sound very Fender-like clean and with a built in tube-screamer pedal and the Strymon Flint you should be in tone heaven.

Enjoy!
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM

If the Musicman strat style guitar floats your boat consider a G&L Legacy which is entirely American made, and in the used market I've seen ones go with a nitro finish for totally reasonable prices... https://reverb.com/item/5177186-g-l-...lNPD_BwE&pla=1

I bought on recently and I LOVE it, and that's coming from someone that has a ton of really nice electric guitars.

As for amps, I would budget for a well made analog amp than buy pedals to suit the style you grow into

But an amp that stands out to me that is priced very attractively is the VOX AC15C1x it's just a great sounding amp which Vox has been improving over the last decade. They listened to users and have really made this a great amp by improving the reverb tone and adding a better stock speaker.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp

Last edited by rockabilly69; 11-26-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM

At the last minute I decided to go with two pedals rather than the Strymon Flint combo...

Strymon Big Sky
Fulltone Custom Shop Supra-Trem
Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
At the last minute I decided to go with two pedals rather than the Strymon Flint combo...

Strymon Big Sky
Fulltone Custom Shop Supra-Trem
Congrats interesting choices a bit different than your op
Will be looking forward to your thoughts once you have played it for a bit

From what I have heard on Youtube the Big sky is a great reverb pedal

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-30-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:56 PM

My original post had the Ernie Ball Cutlass as my guitar of choice. This was based mostly on the neck in comparison with a series of Fender Strats. But I later realized that, although the neck is important, I would probably get used to anything I bought as long as it was “nice” as people seem to like the Prestige Series on the Ibanez just fine.

So I started listening carefully to as many as I could and ended up picking between a Pro Strat with a set of Texas Special pickups, and the Ibanez with a set of Seymour Duncans. The end was almost a toss up but I liked the bone nut, straight string pull, locking tuners and whammy bar a little better on the Ibanez.

The amp was actually easier. Almost everyone suggested that I get a tube amp, and I really decided that before I leave I wanted “that experience”. And my listening pointed me toward 6L6 power tubes. There really isn’t that many models available in the $400 to $800 price range with lower wattages.

When the model I decided on didn’t have reverb or trem, I splurged a bit with a couple fancy pedals.

I’ve order it all from Sweetwater. They say it’ll be a couple weeks.

Peace
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 AM

Just spoke with Sweetwater and my Ibanez 1730M Talman Prestige, Tri Fade Burst is at least another 2 more weeks out.

Bummer!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:41 PM

I've received my new (and first) electric guitar, amp, and pedals. It's wonderful and I've pretty much lost myself for about two days. I'm a happy camper.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Just spoke with Sweetwater and my Ibanez 1730M Talman Prestige, Tri Fade Burst is at least another 2 more weeks out...
Been toying with the idea of a Talman 1803M myself - I like the idea of the neck/bridge PU combination, while still being able to dial in the middle PU (similar to what I have on my Gretsch E-matic); not too happy about the no-return policy, though - may just opt for the lower-priced 303M and swap the pickups somewhere down the line if need be...
Old 12-31-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I've received my new (and first) electric guitar, amp, and pedals. It's wonderful and I've pretty much lost myself for about two days. I'm a happy camper.
Congratulations! You made some solid selections.

Since you've already decided on and received your guitar I won't write another "Well, I think you should get a ..." post. But just to add some balance: a couple of replies seemed to be pretty lukewarm about your first idea. This is the acoustic guitar forum, so okay. But in fact Ernie Ball Music Man guitars and basses are very highly regarded among electric players. They are in no way to be considered off-brand or entry-level instruments. That's not some outlying personal opinion, there are plenty of articles about EBMM instruments on line.

Again, congratulations, and have fun!

Last edited by frankmcr; 12-31-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 PM

The above is a sample of a tune I'm working on. It's my first attempt at "noodling" (I've always been strictly rhythm), and it's using an electric guitar (I've always been strictly acoustic).

I'm having a lot of fun.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:

The above is a sample of a tune I'm working on. It's my first attempt at "noodling" (I've always been strictly rhythm), and it's using an electric guitar (I've always been strictly acoustic).

I'm having a lot of fun.
What a great melody, Buzzard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars