The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am spending Wednesday night in Eugene OR, about halfway from Petaluma to Vancouver, BC. I had my car serviced a couple of weeks ago and the shop left the lid off the urea injection fluid modern diesel requires, and the reservoir sloshed itself empty all over the area that would have a spare tire if it weren't for the reservoir. Fortunately O'Reily's has the stuff, but I foresee further corrosion rooted trouble. Hope the car makes the whole trip.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Bruce shared some shots from the Vancouver International Guitar Show. It looks like a good turn out...

Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

VIGF #1 is history. It was the best attended initial attempt I have seen, though I was not at La Conner. The place was packed from the first moment till the last. I am exhausted. More later.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:02 PM

I spent the better part of Sunday afternoon at the VIGF and had the opportunity to spend some time talking with Bruce and playing both of the instruments he had displayed (Bruce, I was the big guy who sounded better on the small guitar .

The small pear wood guitar was absolutely amazing, even over the background din of the exhibition hall you could hear how special it was. Having only been familiar with his work through this forum, it was fantastic to be able to try his instruments in person, and also speak to the man himself.

Was really great to have all those luthiers there, many from the US and eastern Canada making the trek.

I'll have to start saving up...and also hope for a more favorable currency exchange rate ;-).

Later
Rob
Old 06-27-2017, 12:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Rob
Thanks for checking in here, and your method for separating yourself from the herd works for me. When I listen to folks play it I amazing how each sounds better to me on one instrument than another. Someone else sounded better on the bigger JB16 and I am not taking it home! I feel blessed as the exchange rate make the price of my stuff seem like unobtainium to me.

It is my understanding that this show will happen again and I certainly hope to keep my health long enough to return next year. Vancouver is a really great place for me.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

I usually play my own demos at guitar shows as I like to talk about the individual guitars I have and what makes them special before I demonstrate them. VIGF is the best demo I have had so far. The room was packed and the audience was paying serious attention. There were probably well over 100 people packed into the space and I did not use the sound system. Great fun!

The following day I did my masterclass on the differences between traditional and modern guitars (and why it matters). If there were empty chairs, I didn't see them, but the isles themselves were not packed in this event as in the demo. My coherency was not 100%, and I ramble across a spectrum of subjects, but it must have been Okay as many attendees went out of their way to thank me. It was the third time I had tackled the subject publicly so I had some fall back available.

Finally, last night I went to an unrelated open mic night at an infamous pub in Vancouver called "the Princeton". This was an intimidatingly roudy place in the 70's, but was welcoming and supportive last night. Did a few tunes with the house band and my mentor/friend Michael Dunn (luthier) playing his latest resophonic. If any readers are in the Vancouver area and interested in this kind of exhibitionism, this open mic occurs every Tuesday from 10 pm till midnight, I'm told. The house band is quite competent, and special thanks to the guitar player, "Double D". Very friendly and supportive bunch!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM

Had I known you were playing I'd have made my way down, The Princeton's not far from my place at all. Food is good there, and it's one of the few places in Van where a band can actually make a few bucks if they bring in enough folks...
Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Had I known you were playing I'd have made my way down, The Princeton's not far from my place at all. Food is good there, and it's one of the few places in Van where a band can actually make a few bucks if they bring in enough folks...
I had only a couple of hours notice myself.

Crossing back into the USA was uneventful except that I was dropping off my daughters friend Indira at the Seattle airport and they wouldn't honor her ticket because she didn't board the Vancouver connecting flight. So we aer traveling down the coast as three. Okay with Laurelyn and I.

Spent the night in Tokeland, WA, and no, it's not like that. 2nd floor of a small hotel, the only hotel, right on the beach. Under a hundred bucks and very nice. Also, the one restaurant in town is acceptable. A very good start for our leisurely return adventure.

I expect to be back in the shop Monday the 3rd of July.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tonight we are on the Oregon coast in a motel on the cliff in a town called Yachats. The girls want Mexican, and the town provides two such restaurants. Assuming we survive, I may tender a recommendation at a later point. The drive today was In poor visibility due to marine air, which is rather more normal than not on the Oregon coast.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Hoping y'all make it home before the 4th!
Old 07-01-2017, 10:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

I still expect to be home tomorrow, probably in time for supper.

We are 14 miles west of Weaverville CA on hwy 299 in the quaintest of old school motels, right on the river. The room is tiny and has a very good modern queen and a very 1950's single. Poor me!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am home and toast (torrefacted?). I do expect to be in the shop tomorrow. If nothing else, I have to get out the invitation/reminder notice for the NCAL meeting next Sunday.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Blocked and buffed the "tree" Uke today!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:32 AM

I'm excited to see the Tree ukulele! I bet it's gorgeous.

Happy 4th of July!!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Greg, the soon to be owner of the Uke, spoke to me today and asked what is meant by "blocked". I am now realizing some among you probably share this question as I may have made up the terminology. It is short for "sanded with a hard block behind the abrasive ". Early finish sanding can be done with hand held abrasive and then as the process goes on the backing stiffness is increased in order to end up with as flat a surface as possible. Thus: "blocked and buffed". Pictures soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop