The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 AM

He is what I call a miracle find. Steve truly knows his stuff, to be able to understand all of the problems that can occur with these old guitars.

To think, less than 4 months ago I found this old gal screwed to the inside of a cheap, plexiglass and wood framed box, selling for almost a give away price, in an antique store, left to collect dust. And now it's going to get played regularly and loved.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Final neckset, after discussing how I will play this guitar, with Steve.
Look how clean that bridge turned out! Also Steve will cut the slot for the saddle and put it in place.

Last edited by Looburst; 12-12-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 AM

I remember Steve from the old days. He used to be a member of forum that is now defunct. When he was first starting up his business, he asked a couple of us to review his website to see what we thought of it.

Converting these types of guitars though has become a nice little cottage industry over the past decade. What always brings a smile to my face though is my usual repair guy would always scratch his head when I would bring him one of my Schmidt Stellas or something wondering why the heck I wanted to spend money on it. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a true wizard, - I have heard the vintage Martin guys all him "Doc" for his ability to resurrect guitars. He was the only one I trusted enough to hand off my Banner Gibson to (which he kept a full year). But he really did not get these el cheapo chic guitars.

By the way, here is a true miracle. A 1930s Harmony-made Supertone (the predecessor of Silvertone) all birch guitar that has never had nor needs a neck reset. As perfect a player as it gets. Paid $30 for it with its orginal canvas case and songbook.

Last edited by zombywoof; 12-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM

Ah, the "Graceful Panel or FAUX Effected Top" guitars and mandolins. Sold from $5.00 to $7.50 new, back in the day! You're lucky to have one so complete and playable. I don't believe many even still exist today! Regal made these (as well as other companies) in both square and round neck models. My mother had a square neck model because "slack key" or "Hawaiian" was all the rage in the 1930s.

Ok back to my little git!
Here's a shot Steve just sent, blurry but all finished and soon to be in my hands once again.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:30 PM

Expected delivery on Monday, next week! So here's to waiting for the fun to begin!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 PM

I was cleaning up downstairs and I looked at the two of mine. Yeah I can see how they might sound good with a new brace pattern.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 PM

Yep Fred, it's awfully tempting ain't it?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Should arrive any time today. Just waiting to hear that doorbell ring!
Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
I understand the geometry and all that stuff but to make it sound like this,,,,it can't be real!
Anyway, when Steve tells you something's gonna be this way or that,,believe him!

I cleaned the tuner buttons with toothpaste.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:58 PM

Congratulations. You did it! Looks great. Having great sound is what you had hoped for, but, having unbelievable sound is probably more than you expected! Should be good for another 80 years. Have fun.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:09 PM

Thank you George! Here's video of the first 30 minutes out of the box! Bottom of this page.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=493055&page=2
Old 12-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Merry Christmas everybody!!!! Headphones will help.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Merry Christmas everybody!!!! Headphones will help.

Very nice. I like the arrangement.
Where did you get that or is it yours?
Cheers & Merry Christmas
Old 12-19-2017, 03:16 PM

If you compare the Regal to say my 1930s Supertone all-birch guitar, the high end and mids on the rehabilitated (which is a more accurate description than restored) Regal are certainly much, much nicer than I am used to hearing with these guitars.

Steve is to be congratulated for the transformation he effected. With the posting of your video, I would be surprised if Steve does not get flooded with all birch guitars sent by folks wanting conversions.

Play and enjoy my friend.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:34 PM

Thanks Johnny and zombywoof! Yes it's just a simple arrangement I figured out while waiting for it to arrive. I thought, if it can handle these chords then it'll be a winner.
LOL, I think you're probably right in that assessment zomby!
Steve will get some work from this but hopefully people will have realistic expectations and not think he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
The reality is, the top did shrink somewhat and there still is a tiny warp but nothing that bothers me. I say these things, not to diminish Steve's work, it is top shelf! But to remind people that there are limits as to what can be made whole again.
The neck and fingerboard feel amazing and are very fluid up and down the board.
Steve certainly can and has replaced the tops of guitars with new ones but that wasn't my objective with this one. If you wanna save that cool screening or paint on your top, then you suffer the little cracks and warps, it's gonna play great regardless.
Steve won't let a customer pay until they're happy! I'm keeping this a month and letting it settle in, at Steve's request! Final payment has not been made yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion