The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Default Early Influences

Someone had a recent thread questioning early influences . There were many who answered , and I don't think there was any mention of John Mayall who was a large influence on me . His songs , "Prisons on the Road " + " Television Eye " are more applicable today than they were almost 50 Years ago . " Round the clock commercials - tryin to sell me things I'll never need " - Maybe why he didnt get Big Airplay ?? Cept Underground FM Like WORJ in Mt Dora , FL What a Great Station that was ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3yDLqBMqjI

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 12-09-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:22 AM

I suppose for many Mayall is overshadowed by the musicians who worked with him. Clapton, Green, Bruce, etc.

His influence is certainly undeniable.

For me, it was only when I heard the 'Beano' album that I began to realise where lots of the rock I had been listening to for years came from.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:21 AM

When I need me some blues harp shuffle I always turn to Mayall's live recording of "Room To Move". That song completely changed the way I felt about the harmonica as an instrument, and inspired me to play.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-09-2017, 07:55 AM

I go back a little further than John Mayall. Hearing guys like Link Wray put guitar in my mind first.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:06 AM

Although not popular here on the AGF, Iron Maiden is the reason I picked up guitar back in the '80s. It was those amazing dual harmonies that Adrian and Dave played (and still play).
Old 12-09-2017, 11:09 AM

SRV got me hooked. What he could do with a stratocaster totally amazed me. I had no such skills or talent, and eventually switched to acoustic guitar.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
When I need me some blues harp shuffle I always turn to Mayall's live recording of "Room To Move". That song completely changed the way I felt about the harmonica as an instrument, and inspired me to play.
Ya "Room To Move" is the one that got the most airplay that I remember

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

That Beano album got played a lot at my house. I followed the bread crumbs to find Freddy King and Otis Rush. And the Hard Road album with Peter Green was just as good.

Mayall put together a lot of great bands.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
SRV got me hooked. What he could do with a stratocaster totally amazed me. I had no such skills or talent, and eventually switched to acoustic guitar.
Although SRV wasn't an influence for me I think he's one of the best and most influential of all time. Of course I played Pride and Joy when I bought my first American Strat years ago ... played it poorly might I add.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:20 AM

John Mayall's concert in Ottawa in 1973 was a stand out for me. I had almost front row seats. Blew my mind....ahem.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 AM

My friends always used to make sport of me for liking 'The Lawrence Welk Show". But Buddy Merrill and Neil Levange could right cut it on those Fender (and later Microfrets) guitars.:

Each season during the black and white days they'd have new, juicy Fender equipment (they were allegedly personal faves of Leo) which we could never hope to afford!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:49 PM

1968 - Mason Williams became a 1-hit wonder and that's all it took for 13 y/o to change his opinion about the guitar.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
1968 - Mason Williams became a 1-hit wonder and that's all it took for 13 y/o to change his opinion about the guitar.
Was that Classical Gas? I didn't realize the song was that old.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Most of the "influences" mentioned in the other thread, were still learning when I was, but I got a lot of info from many of them.

As a teenager, I saw people like Jeff Beck, Cyril Davies, The Yardbirds, PinkFloyd, and the Rolling Stones at my local clubs.

Kieth Richards and Brian Jones were eager to tell me about the original blues men and where to get their records (Dobells).

I guess my first influences as a beginner guitarist were Jimmy Reed, Louisiana Red, and Lightning Hopkins - basic primitive stuff, that my friends and I could handle.

As far as blues were concerned I guess Bill Broonzy was and still is significant, but then I got into bluegrass and similar stuff. Perhaps I should mention Jimmie Rodgers, and although I became aware of him later - Peter Rowan.
Then I got into specifically, but not exclusively Texan singer songwriters and paramount was and is .... the late great Guy Clark.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:18 AM

Default Years Ago

90s - I did several gigs at Songwriter Nights with Original songs , accompanied by a SAX player , sorta a Tip of the Hat to Mayall ...I was even surprised we sounded Very good together and got many compliments ...

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 12-11-2017 at 02:39 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic