The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 AM

Unhappy My guitar is to quiet...

Hello, I recently bought a small PA system from Thomann with a thomann mixer, which are together really loud when I speak through my Beyerdynamic MCE 530 or when connect my laptop to it, but when I put the mic in front of my acoustic guitars the signal is pretty weak, and I couldn't turn the gain level up on the mixer enough because feedback would appear. Could a preamp like ART Tube MP in the chain help me to solve my problem, or did I made a completely wrong investment?

Please help because I have a gig coming pretty soon with the whole system together and I'm pretty worried about the whole thing.

Thanks in advance,

Marko
Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatijevic View Post
Hello, I recently bought a small PA system from Thomann with a thomann mixer, which are together really loud when I speak through my Beyerdynamic MCE 530 or when connect my laptop to it, but when I put the mic in front of my acoustic guitars the signal is pretty weak, and I couldn't turn the gain level up on the mixer enough because feedback would appear. Could a preamp like ART Tube MP in the chain help me to solve my problem, or did I made a completely wrong investment?

Please help because I have a gig coming pretty soon with the whole system together and I'm pretty worried about the whole thing.

Thanks in advance,

Marko
please, tell us what mic you are using and how you place it in front of the guitar (distance, pointing at..). Also what guitar is might help. If it feedbacks already at low volume, you won't fix it by having more gain. But you might fix it by placing the whole thing better.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 AM

Just know that using a mic for guitar will usually be more challenging than a UST/SBT/mag pickup. You'll be able to get a lot more gain/volume before feedback with these. Keep this in mind when gauging your sound level requirements for your gig. For example, I wouldn't recommend using a mic for your guitar in a loud, raucous pub.

You may want to look into the LR Baggs M80 or a Fishman magnetic pickup that goes in the sound hole for an easy solution that doesn't require you to drill a hole in your guitar.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

Last edited by Kalani; 03-08-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Mica can work in relatively quiet rooms that don't have a lot of hard surfaces for sound to bounce off of. Be prepared to know that your guitar isn't going to be loud. You might get it to work if the listeners are relatively quiet. Positioning your mic and speaker is key. Get your mic away from the speaker as best as possible. You might need to put one or both of your speakers in front of you. I do fine using a Shure Beta 87a mic with a Bose L1 tower 15-18 feet away for a quiet audience of 50 in a reflective room. The guitar volume is okay for that situation.

This problem is not unique to you. It is why we are always discussing guitar amplification and pickups. Good luck. You'll get good advice.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Adding more gain by putting an additional gain staging preamp might make it louder, but will make your feedback problem worse. If you are going to use a mic and need more volume, you need a more directional instrument mic, and some careful EQ / feedback suppression. In acoustic amplification, you are usually trading fidelity with volume. High fidelity at low volume and low fidelity at high volume. There are some pickup systems that perform better and provide more mic fidelity, but they are also expensive.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 AM

A mic is almost always going to be much quieter than a pickup.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM

If you love your guitars natural sound and don't want to modify your guitar at all, pickups aren't an option. Mind you, even adding a mic changes your tone as all mics colour your tone. A K&K is one of the least invasive and most natural sounding pickups. Widely used by solo performing acoustic players. Some people are quite happy with the more pricey soundhole pickups as well.

If you want to stick with the mic, you need to add something like a 4 band eq with at least dual parametric mids. Or something that has multiple notch filters to get rid of the offending frequencies (automatic preferred). Then you can increase your gain before feedback. Still, mics live are always trouble.

Even with the K&K, I used my Aura Spectrum pedal for it's notch filter abilities. K&K's have nice bass, but it can get out of control on stage. The automatic notch filters fixed it in less than 10 seconds.

Speaker placement is a BIG factor as well. Many people put a monitor right in front of them. This throws frequencies right back at the mic AND your guitar top. Try the speaker beside you or behind you. It made a big difference for me, even with my K&K setup.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Marko
Mic it with a AKG 1000C and run through a feed back destroyer. Set the Destroyer pryor to starting gig. This will block all potential feed back freq.'s Build some head room on your mic and blow 'em off the stage. Works great for the whole band. A feed back destroyer is a priceless tool for live sound.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Marko

Hi, Marko...

I see you're getting lots of suggestions, but to really help you help yourself it would be best to have more specific information.

Villamarzia makes a very good point about positioning and Vancebo reinforces that. Positioning of the mains speakers, monitor speaker and the microphone itself are all critical. But for more accurate help you need to tell more:

1. PA. Brand and model of the mixer, speakers and any processing included.

2. Playing style. Strum, pick, fingers or what?

3. Size and configuration of room and stage. Width of the room and ceiling height are inportant.

4. Where will you be able to position the speakers? Do you have speaker stands?

5. Brand and type of your microphones.

Links to your equipment will save time in preparing the best advice for you. Looking forward to your response.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 PM

A $29.95 dbx goRack could possibly help with your issues. I liked mine so much I bought a second.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Default feedback before gain

Try it in a different room to see if that is your problem. If you still have it , move the speakers further away and in front further. Be careful with or perhaps even eliminate monitors and see if that is better. Experiment with mic placement relative to the guitar. I generally like it close-ish and pointed toward the guitar body at the 12th fret.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerod View Post
A $29.95 dbx goRack could possibly help with your issues. I liked mine so much I bought a second.
Ditto on this. I keep wondering "what's the catch?" because they're so inexpensive, but these little guys are really useful.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification