The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 PM

FYI y'all, I pulled the trigger on an XR16 this week. I'll have some time to dial it in before my duo's next big gig.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I'm still not super-excited about having to use an external router with the Behringer.... Is it absolutely crucial to have a router? The places I'd play don't normally have a ton of people on their phones.
hi mw
I have a friend who played in a band for a year with the Behringer and they would tell you that it is crucial. They had connection issues till they added the external router, and then the issues cleared up.

They love the system by the way (the band is still playing, my friend is no longer in it). It basically has the same guts as the large digital Behringer mixer, but it's run from a tablet.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 PM

I have been using an XR18 since they came out. The problem with the built in WiFi router is that it just has the 2.4GHz band. I do most of my work in hotel ballrooms where all the 2.4 channels are in use. The 2.4 band worked, but it wasn't rock solid, and sometimes depending upon wifi traffic, you would also se the interface slowing. I moved to an Apple Airport Express router stuck up inside my roadcase and it has been rock solid ever since. I have it set up to use 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands simultaneously but mostly just use the 5GHz band (2.4GHz is there for tablets and computers with only that band).

The built in router will let you connect four devices and the Airport Express will do 16 per band, but that really isn't an issue.

I also have XR16 and XR12 tablets that I run without an external router, but those are for my own performances rather than as a paid sound guy.

i don't believe there is any particular advantage of the Soundcraft over the Behringer or vice versa. I believe they are both 2.4GHz routers subject to the same high traffic in that band.

I don't know about the Soundcraft mixer, but one issue with the Behringer wifi is that you have to choose the wifi channel manually and that choice will affect the performance you get.

If you have an Android phone, there is a great app called "wifi analyzer" which will let you see the wifi traffic and choose the best wifi channel for the router. 2.4GHz can range from just one local router in restaurants and bars to absolutely full in hotel ballrooms. 5GHz always seems to be low traffic, which is why I use it.

A bit of perspective is in order here. If you are a soundman cueing mics and following levels (as I often am), solid wifi connectivity is a really big deal. If you are a band using your own PA and only really messing with the mixer during sound checks, occasional dropouts or disconnections are not really going to bother you at all. That's why I am comfortable using my XR16 or XR12 without an external router when I am in musician rather than soundman mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
A bit of perspective is in order here. If you are a soundman cueing mics and following levels (as I often am), solid wifi connectivity is a really big deal. If you are a band using your own PA and only really messing with the mixer during sound checks, occasional dropouts or disconnections are not really going to bother you at all. That's why I am comfortable using my XR16 or XR12 without an external router when I am in musician rather than soundman mode.

This is what I was thinking, and it's largely (although that noise floor thing was big) why I opted for the Behringer. I'll mostly be running sound on the fly as we're gigging. The unit will almost always be just between us on stage, too.

Kind of regretting the XR16 over the 18. I hadn't realized the 18 would work as an interface; I'd have liked to have recorded proper multitrack versions of our shows, but ah well.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM

One more thing. I use both Android and Apple tablets. The iPad interface is prettier and the effects section in particular is more developed, but the Android app is more customizable and seems to respond way more quickly. I mostly use the Android app for mixing, but I will grab the iPad if I'm programming effects.

The sound quality of the XR mixers is really very good: noticeably better than the Presonus mixer I used previously and in line with what you get with high end mixers I've used from Alllen and Heath and Yamaha. The quality and adjustability of the EQs, compressors and effects is as good as a high end Midas console. It is because it uses the same algorithms. The fact that you get so much quality and functionality for so little money really blows me away.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:03 PM

I can't comment on the Behernger, other than having used the X32, I liked it. I can say that many major sound purveyors are dumping their Soundcrafts because they A) have horrible customer support, and more importantly, B), the boards crap out and they can't trust them. And these are their Vi 1, Vi4, Vi6, Vi3000 through Vi7000 products. It's hard to know what will happen to the product line now that Samsung has purchased Harmon which owns Soundcraft.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Ah darn it.......now I want one of these!
The XR 16 is now officially on the GAS list lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 03:45 PM

ProAudioStar had new XR16s on sale a few days ago. They upgraded my used order for another $24. Give them a holler.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
ProAudioStar had new XR16s on sale a few days ago. They upgraded my used order for another $24. Give them a holler.

Nice!
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification