The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-16-2016, 09:04 AM

Default Plan for first homespun CD

We'll see whether it works. Feel free to comment.

-- Ten weeks (practice) --
Practice ten new tunes with band using metronome. Write down preferred BPM. Use portable recorder to capture ideas.

-- Four weeks (scratch) --
Record “scratch” rhythm guitar tracks using click.
Record “scratch” lead vocal tracks.
Distribute first-gen MP3’s to band so that they may practice improvisations and vocals.

-- Three weeks (percussion) --
Record “keeper” cajon.
Record “keeper” conga.
Record “keeper” tambourine.
Record “keeper” rhythm guitar tracks.
Distribute second-gen MP3’s to band.

-- Three weeks (bass) --
Record “keeper” bass.
Distribute third-gen MP3’s to band.

-- Three weeks (vocals) --
Record “keeper” lead and background vocals.
Distribute forth-gen MP3’s to band.

-- Three weeks (guitar, reso, mando) --
Record “keeper” lead acoustic guitar.
Record “keeper” resophonic guitar.
Record “keeper” mandolin.
Record “keeper” electric guitar.
Distribute fifth-gen MP3’s to band.

-- Three weeks (guest artists) --
Record “keeper” violin.
Record “keeper” banjo.
Record “keeper” saxophone.
Distribute sixth-gen MP3’s to band.

-- Three weeks (fixes) --
Invite all artists for “fixes” sessions.
Send final mix MP3’s to band.

-- Four weeks (mastering and distro) --
Send final mix WAV’s to master.
Send mastered WAV’s to distributer.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 AM

-- Weeks Following... commit self for OCD treatment.

Just kidding. Looks like a plan.

Last edited by Fairlight; 11-16-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Don't try to get all the songs done at the same time. It's madness. You can't possibly forsee all the little changes and edits to the way you are planning it.

Pick one song, doesn't really matter which, and do all the things you think you need to do to "finish" it.

You'll learn a lot and probably start over a time or two. This is no matter how seasoned you are or how many times you've done this before. You have to be flexible.

Then pick another song and try to "finish" it. You'll learn stuff again and want to apply it to the first tune. At least you are only re-doing one other song, not the entire list.

After several "finished" songs you'll have your work flow down pretty good and won't be re-doing so much.

That said, don't be afraid to leave things you could go back and fix and just get the product done and look forward to the next one.

If you are recording at a pro studio they will have an opinion on how the work flow goes too.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:49 AM

10 weeks to practice 10 songs? Is that because half way through, you will have lost most of the other players due to boredom? With your current schedule the players will have forgotten their parts by the time they get to the recording time!

Assume you will be practicing and recording at your place. 3 weeks to record the percussion parts and another 3 weeks to record the bass?

I agree regarding doing one song at a time - practice it with the band for 1 or 2 weeks, along with the next few songs, but concentrate on the first one.

Record a 'whole band' take (to a click if really needed) as your scratch track.

Record all the percussion parts (assuming you have different players, if limited players doing multi instruments, record the main ones first) and the bass together. use gobos in the room to give some isolation to the mics. You may even be able to record the rhythm guitar (and any other rhythm instruments)at the same time, but if not, do that next. then vocals, then lead parts.
If everyone knows their parts you should be able to get all the parts recorded for a song in a day, 2 maximum.

Do a first round of mixing on the first song to see if everything is gelling, and start the whole process for the next song - practice for a week, then start recording.

After you've got all/most of the songs done you may need to go back and retrack certain instruments (for example if you found a better way to mike or changed a lead instrument). Once you've got all the songs recorded, call in the guest artists.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-17-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
10 weeks to practice 10 songs? Is that because half way through, you will have lost most of the other players due to boredom? With your current schedule the players will have forgotten their parts by the time they get to the recording time!

Assume you will be practicing and recording at your place. 3 weeks to record the percussion parts and another 3 weeks to record the bass?

I agree regarding doing one song at a time - practice it with the band for 1 or 2 weeks, along with the next few songs, but concentrate on the first one.

Record a 'whole band' take (to a click if really needed) as your scratch track.

Record all the percussion parts (assuming you have different players, if limited players doing multi instruments, record the main ones first) and the bass together. use gobos in the room to give some isolation to the mics. You may even be able to record the rhythm guitar (and any other rhythm instruments)at the same time, but if not, do that next. then vocals, then lead parts.
If everyone knows their parts you should be able to get all the parts recorded for a song in a day, 2 maximum.

Do a first round of mixing on the first song to see if everything is gelling, and start the whole process for the next song - practice for a week, then start recording.

After you've got all/most of the songs done you may need to go back and retrack certain instruments (for example if you found a better way to mike or changed a lead instrument). Once you've got all the songs recorded, call in the guest artists.
My band can only meet every other week for practices, so figure 8(ish) hours practice together total in ten weeks.

I'm allowing three weeks per "piece" but that's just a window that the person involved can choose. I figure most of the individual band members will be able to do 2-3 four hour sessions total.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:19 PM

If it were me I'd work the schedule to practice each tune until you're satisfied with the performance and record it immediately afterward. If you play together as a band then you'll most likely sound best recorded together. If you set everything up to record, practice, and then record immediately there shouldn't be any problems. What you loose in track isolation you'll gain in feel. If it doesn't feel right then it's probably not going to get better when the red light is on.

My personal experience is that comped tracks are difficult to pull off without a lot of experience doing it. Record all the players you have in the band, if it's just you then you pretty much have to overdub and comp, but if it's 4 or 5 players it's going to sound better if you play well together normally.

Your schedule sounds like it might be a good recipe for loosing momentum, but that's just my opinion. If you finish only one song a session then at least you have one completed track for your CD. When I'vbe done this for bands I try to duplicate mics used, positioning, and settings form session to session to maintain uniformity between mixed tracks. The last recording I did was done in three seperate sessions a week apart but it came out very consistent.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:14 AM

The band met last night and I passed out the new song book. We went through each tune and they were well received. I feel good.

Then we talked about the logistics of the recording process. The idea that we "get it down cold" by practicing together was unanimous. Everyone really wanted to stress that our "band-ness" needs time to gel for each tune during these practices.

For the recording, everyone was open to almost every which way. I think we'll try a hybrid first off. Percussion and bass at the same time. Rhythm guitar and vocals next. Lead guitar and violin and banjo next. Etc.

Thank you very much for your input.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:34 AM

"every other week" makes it tough for sure. Does the same go for recording?

8 hours over 5 (actual) weeks, only equals 1-1/2 hours per practice day - this is good, because if you are rehearsing/recording the same song over and over, it can get sloppy after multiple takes. I find that usually my 2nd or 3rd take is the best one, assuming I already 'know' the part.

So knowing that, it'd be good to take the first couple of practices for everyone to do all the songs a couple of times each, then the 3rd time you get together start the serious 1-song-at-a-time practice-then-record sessions.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
"every other week" makes it tough for sure. Does the same go for recording?

8 hours over 5 (actual) weeks, only equals 1-1/2 hours per practice day - this is good, because if you are rehearsing/recording the same song over and over, it can get sloppy after multiple takes. I find that usually my 2nd or 3rd take is the best one, assuming I already 'know' the part.

So knowing that, it'd be good to take the first couple of practices for everyone to do all the songs a couple of times each, then the 3rd time you get together start the serious 1-song-at-a-time practice-then-record sessions.
This is exactly what happened last time when we recorded in a big professional studio. We knew we couldn't afford any more than 14 hours. And we knew that we'd have to do it using the "everyone recording at once" method (thirteen channels total). So our first couple of practices were about familiarization and then we had three or four where we recorded ideas (wrote them down as well as recorded them on a Zoom H2 for subsequent distribution via email). When we finally went into the studio, the first take was a warm up and the second was almost always the keeper.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 11-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Just keep in mind that there's something special about capturing a song while it is fresh for everybody. The performances you get while the band is just discovering the song can be unique and exciting. It's of course possible to get exciting performances out of a group after they have lived with a song for awhile too, but it's also possible to over practice and slog a song to death before you get to the recording stage, so that performances happen by rote and come off as uninspired.

Just something to keep in mind.

-Mike
Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 AM

I finalized my studio and made some experimental recordings this weekend. It's a lot to learn, but I think that I like the sound I'm getting. The Audient iD14 is really nice.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Watch out for the disgusting off-gassing from those moving blankets used as sound deadeners. Yeesh. I hung up three of them in the studio... one directly behind the artist and two over the big glass window. Last night I had to tear them down and stick them in the wash. They still stink a little and I'm planning on hanging them up outside for 24 hours when we get a break from the rain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD