The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Wow--really beautiful work! Especially love the 2nd coco guitar...the rosette is so totally 3-dimensional!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Really gorgeous work.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:51 AM

Thank you again everyone for the good feedback.

I've just booked some studio time at Sound Temple studio in Asheville NC for this Sunday. Sam Pacetti happened to be in town for some gigs, and agreed to stay a few days longer to help record some videos of these three guitars, and maybe a few others that I have here at the shop. I'm pretty excited....

Sam is a really great musician, and if you don't know who he is, please do yourself a favor and check out his music. We met at the Memphis show, and I was able to build a guitar for him last year. It will be a good chance to reconnect and hopefully learn a thing or two from him on the guitar.

I've heard great things already about Asheville, and I'm excited to get to visit for a few days.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

This week Ryan visited my shop here in Tennessee. I had the chance to play these guitars. All I can say is WOW. The workmanship, the tone, the fit and finish...nothing short of excellent! The lines and especially that headstock design is beautiful! Five stars! What's more, Ryan is a super nice guy. Great work Ryan.

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 07-30-2016, 07:42 PM

It's been a while since updating this thread, but I'm finally getting around to it. A few months ago I took a road trip down to Asheville, NC to meet up with Sam Pacetti to record demos of the three guitars in this thread. The recording session was quick and Sam did about 30 takes in two hours! We came away with some good material that I feel, represents the character of the guitars well.

Here is the first video that I will share with you all. It's a short compilation of the recordings that Sam made with #28.

There are many more on my channel, as well as videos of the the other two. When I finish compilation videos of the other two guitars I'll post links to them here on the forum.

The audio is straight from the recorded file, with no post processing. The mics are KM84's.

Oh, and apologies for the somewhat indulgent ending of the video. I realize it's completely unnecessary for the purpose of the demos, and just trickery to hit the harmonics and marvel at the sustain(I think just about any guitar can do that), but I couldn't help myself. I thought it at least shows his enjoyment for the guitar. It didn't actually go home with him, because it was already spoken for. But he did like it!

Old 07-31-2016, 04:04 AM

It's amazing to see these small and interesting details on your guitars! Very unique decoration, just beautiful.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:39 AM

Beautiful guitars Ryan! Not to discount any other element, as I think they are very elegant instruments, but the rosettes stand out as being particularly beautiful.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
It's amazing to see these small and interesting details on your guitars! Very unique decoration, just beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Beautiful guitars Ryan! Not to discount any other element, as I think they are very elegant instruments, but the rosettes stand out as being particularly beautiful.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the common theme of your comments. I try to create something of interest in the rosette, and I have a lot of fun seeing what I can cram into such a small space.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:05 PM

Here is a short compilation video of #29.

This guitar was my favorite out of the the three in this thread. It had a sweetness to the trebles that I found really satisfying, and the strings all had a lot of freedom and liberty to do their thing.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:44 AM

This weekend I was finally able to put together a compilation of of the all-Koa RL15. I have to say, that this being my first all Koa guitar, and not really knowing what to expect out of it (my expectations were intentionally low actually), I was very pleased with the outcome! I now have some small picture now of what I can get out of a hardwood top like koa or mahogany. In my mind, it doesn't have to be limited to a blues guitar, but has the potential to service other styles like fingerstyle quite well. I know it's far from the norm, but I found that once you forget that it's a hardwood top, the tone becomes quite welcoming to fingerstyle and more expressive playing. Slightly darker, and with a nice low end due to the added weight of the koa top. I like it!

Please let me know what you think, in terms of the tone, relative to the all koa guitars that you have had experience with.

The audio is clean without any e.q., compression, or other effects, same as the other videos in this thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop