The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM

Thanks Fran

Another quick question. While reading about the H5 A question came to mind. Would I need a preamp between a kk mini and the H5 or does it have a built in one? Same question for the condenser mics??? Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions
Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM

All these recorders have a "preamp" - a circuit designed to add gain to low level signals. All but the H2n have balanced inputs and studio standard P48 phantom power for condenser mics. All but the H2n have TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) balanced 1/4" inputs without phantom power for guitar pickups, keyboards, etc. The H5 and H6 also include switchable pads to manage hot inputs, which can be a problem with previous Zoom recorders.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Sorry last question. Can I use the zoom as I would a stand alone interface. For example going from pickup to zoom to computer without recording on the zoom but rather on the computer through a Usb cable and therefore being able to overdub tracks on the computer in the software ( garage band for example) or is everything recorded on the zoom and then transferred in a file to computer?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 PM

It works as a standalone interface without recording on the SD card. You can then overdub using DAW software on the computer. It has worked well on my various Windows systems. I haven't tried it with a Mac or other system.

Fran
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 PM

Would the h4n also do this?
Old 03-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Here are the manuals for all the recorders we've discussed.

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...al_English.pdf

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...fs/E_H4nSP.pdf

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...dfs/E_H5_0.pdf

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul.../H6-Manual.pdf

Yes, the H4n also acts as an interface without recording to the SD card. Even the H1 does this, as does the H2 and the various R models (R8, R16, R24).

Fran
Old 03-13-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
Would the h4n also do this?
I've been trying to record my acoustic for a while using all kinds of mics and recorders. I would strongly advice against using h4n and going for h6 since it's now close to $300 on Amazon (it's been $400 forever).

The problem with h4n is this. I know from experience (and professions keep saying) that small diaphragm condensers are best for recording classical/nylon guitars. But those type of mics have a relatively high self noise as part of their inherent design. To get rid of that noise, the h4n preamp has to be set at very low volume, which then needs to be normalized in post... One still ends up with unwanted noise. The h6 has better preamps and will handle this easily.

For the record, I've been using Line Audio Cm3 with h4n. And I can't wait to buy the h6.

Last edited by S_Spruce; 03-13-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 AM

I too have found this with the H4n. Presently, I use a Rane DMS22 acoustic mic preamp leading to the H4n and have gotten reasonable results. The Rane units often come up on Ebay for fairly short money (100-150). they originally cost about $400 new.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-13-2016, 01:55 PM

The H5 is even less dough and has better multi-tracking than the H6.

Fran
Old 03-19-2016, 11:14 AM

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I'm planning to eventually buy an H2 or H4 to use for making YouTubes, and I've been wondering how much difference there is in the sound quality. I won't be doing any elaborate multi-track recording, overdubbing, etc., just recording solo instrumentals, editing them with Audacity, then synching with a video.

For this simple purpose, does the H4 sound better than the H2?

Last edited by Ruark; 03-19-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I'm planning to eventually buy an H2 or H4 to use for making YouTubes, and I've been wondering how much difference there is in the sound quality. I won't be doing any elaborate multi-track recording, overdubbing, etc., just recording solo instrumentals, editing them with Audacity, then synching with a video.

For this simple purpose, does the H4 sound better than the H2?
Once again I think you need to clarify if you really mean H4n and H2n. The models you mention are no longer in production.

If you do mean the newer models, I tested the H4n when it was released and found that it did not offer a substantial improvement in sound quality compared to the earlier H2, let alone the improved H2n. However, the newer H5 and H6 both do deliver better quality audio than the earlier generation of Zoom recorders along with other improvements.

With all that said, you can hear the H4n compared to several other recording chains here: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

Fran
Old 03-19-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Once again I think you need to clarify if you really mean H4n and H2n. The models you mention are no longer in production.

If you do mean the newer models, I tested the H4n when it was released and found that it did not offer a substantial improvement in sound quality compared to the earlier H2, let alone the improved H2n. However, the newer H5 and H6 both do deliver better quality audio than the earlier generation of Zoom recorders along with other improvements.
Sorry, of course I meant the current "N" models. The 5 and 6 would probably be overkill. I just need something to make a nice quality .WAV soundtrack (edited with Audacity) to use in a YouTube besides the crummy mic in my smartphone. I'm reaching the conclusion that the H2N would be more than adequate. Incidentally, I'm talking about just using the mic built into the device, not plugging in a remote mic.

Last edited by Ruark; 03-19-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:04 PM

Hope it's okay to resurrect this thread.

But I am looking at both the H2n and H4n. I had a few questions what would be better for my use.

I already have a good interface and mikes if I want to get studio recordings. I'm after a portable recorder for quick quality capture and especially live performance capture to sync with video.

I love the idea of the H2N and think it has everything I need...maybe. The one other thing I would like to do is to capture sound directly from the house mixing board when playing live.

Can I record ambient stereo room sound and one track from the board simultaneously? In assuming I can. My other question is this. Is the quality okay taking a feed from the mixing board into the unbalanced line in on the H2n? If can I run say 3-5m of unbalanced cable to the recorder for optional positioning if I wanted without too much noise?

Last question can I hook up a dynamic mic to the H2n line in which I understand is actually 10db consumer instrument level. Is that even getting close to working with a dynamic mic?

I understand that with both the H4n and H2n that this line input is a bit hokey.

What is the best way to get a reliable feed from a mixing desk into either of these and is the 2n as good as the 4n in this regard?

Thanks for those that can help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD