The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Catalpa "spec" build

Here's my first post in this section, I believe. I haven't noticed much builder posted build thread, but I though you might find this interesting, so I'm trying it.

There's been a lot of talk lately about using Native North American woods for guitars as it may be more sustainable, and is likely more eco-friendly. I am not sure Catalpa is actually Native, but it certainly grows near me, particularly in Mill Valley were I was living 15 years ago. I have long been in the habit of taking a drive in my truck after a good windstorm, with my trusty Stihl chainsaw as my copilot. I got a very nice Catalpa out of that habit back then, and decided to have a closer look at it just yesterday.

I generally mill my tree chunks up into billets that could become guitars, and it seems I did so with this one. It was a good sized tree and I have about 10 pieces, one of which is 3" x 10" x 4' and very close to quartered, so I resawed it into 1/8" x 10" x 4' pieces, and then fooled around with the scraps some to see what kind of timber it really is. It is as light as a spruce, superficially resembles ash, but with a dark honey color, and seems to be quite stiff for such a light weight hardwood. much stiffer that Poplar or Linden. The bonus is that it has a very sweet and ringing tap tone.

I have decided to make a guitar with it, and use it for all the parts except the fingerboard, the bridge, and the bracing. This will be PC, almost all-American, and an interesting experiment. I thought I'd try documenting it right here, and I am starting with a couple of pictures of the material. I will not actually get to the work, or through the work, all that quickly as I've got a lot going on that others are expecting of me. I haven't even decided on the size. Any opinions?

Here's a couple of the chunks:

Here's the rough sawn wood. The neck will come from one of other chunks.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Most interesting, Bruce.
Here in Texas, we are on the westernmost edge of the Southern Catalpa's range. Both it and the Northern species are indeed native.
(I wonder which one you have there in California? Is it introduced? A true Catalpa?)
Always wondered what the lumber looked like, so this should be a fascinating build.

Thanks for sharing,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Interesting Bruce, How about an OM?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Bruce,

many builders post here, and I always find the builder threads very educational because they can really speak to the pictures and explain.

Very interesting project. I have never heard of this wood in my entire life.

I think if I was you, I would first try the wood as a soundboard to be able to make a judgment on sonic qualities, I think it will be more difficult to tell when you build the entire guitar of it, but then again: Who am I to tell you

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
happiness

Interesting looking wood, Bruce. I like the idea of an OM, it's a nice versatile size.

Whatever you decide, I hope you will share more with us as the build progresses?

Fliss
Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

can't wait to see the progress on this one..................my vote is for a slope shouldered dread.............

p.s. I like your dog............what breed is it????
Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
p.s. I like your dog............what breed is it????
That dog is a "canardly."

As in, you "canardly" tell what kind of dog it is...!

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
That dog is a "canardly."

As in, you "canardly" tell what kind of dog it is...!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
can't wait to see the progress on this one..................my vote is for a slope shouldered dread.............
I'm with him. I'm not a fan of dreads at all really, but there is something about sloped shoulder dreads which I love. Of not, how about a SJ?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Slope shouldered dread sounds tight!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 AM

Bruce-

I hope this turns out to be a rewarding experiment for you! The northern catalpa has long been a favorite tree of my wife and I. We had the privilege of planting one on the grounds at the musical school where we met to remember our first child Evan who died in infancy. Twenty years later the tree is a lovely reminder of beautiful days.

I'm sure the guitar you build will fill someone with beautiful days in the future. Looking forward to watching this thread - thank you for the effort.
Oh, and a side note, Wiki makes mention of catalpa as a "guitar tonewood", so you know you're in good company - Hah!

smiles,
Scott
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

This will be fun to watch...looks great Bruce. Your dog looks as tho he might be thinking of lifting a leg on that tree chunk.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 PM

How ironic. I just commissioned a Catalpa Flamenco guitar. It's not the first time this builder has used it. I played the first one and was smitten to say the least.

It'll be interesting to see a steel string, and to hear your impressions.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Love what you are doing here Bruce, I am a rookie luthier, but a full time woodworker and growing up in the midwest have seen catalpa as a decorative wood and it is quite dynamic. Timo
Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

It is so unlikely that anything we do will break new ground! I had imagined I might be the first to even think of using this wood for a guitar, but now i find it's even mentioned in Wiki as a tonewood! Well, perhaps I'll be the first to use it for all plates AND the neck. No matter, really, it's just an excuse to make another guitar!

Roxie is a girl dog, so most of the billets will be safe enough! We got her thinking Red Heeler Cattle Dog, but we think we see Put bull in the brow and ears, and Golden Retriever in her pleasant demeanor. She is a rescue dog, and will never really believe she's safe, unfortunately. Despite this, she's the best dog anyone in my family has ever experienced. Do not provoke me, and I will not further bore you with dog pictures.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop