The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Hey Wade, in spite of your last post, I am going to hold you to your earlier qualifying statement You're not the only one generalizing - I'm guilty of the same thing.

Remember, I am not at all trying to sell the idea of a soundpost in a guitar. I made it clear that it is a potential concept, and even outlined some of the conditions where it could work and where it will not work. Presumably, if a guitar is well made, then a soundpost is likely superfluous, but I did say it seems most suited to guitars that have some kind of problem, and we all know problems should not be found in high end custom guitars. And if a guitar does have problems that render it unpleasing, then what would anyone have to risk by trying it.

The effect of a soundpost in a guitar forms a continuum, meaning that it has a range of potential influence that runs from virtually undetectable to completely stifling, say if propped up hard right under the bridge. It would take a very patient person with a skilled hand and refined ear to find a sweet spot, if there is need or purpose. I am certain that one of the reasons there are so few positive reports is because it takes such time and patience, that likely very few have committed before reporting it a failure.

I have no knowledge luthiers who are actually incorporating soundposts as a regular feature, so I cannot speak to that at all. However, in general terms, there is nothing that precludes the idea from the theoretical standpoint. The number of possible acoustic resonator constructions is virtually infinite, and we are only able to see a mere fraction realized by guitar makers. To suggest that even the best guitar makers of today know all that can be known about acoustic resonators would be sheer folly. I know you nor I would do that.

Last edited by gmm55; 11-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Of course I'm generalizing, as we all are on these online forums, since we can't sit down together and pass instruments back and forth and comment on specifics in real time.

But let me put it this way: despite an ongoing fascination that many have with the possibilities of soundposts in guitar that I've been aware of since the mid-1970's, which is as long as I've been involved with the handbuilt musical instrument world, I've yet to see anyone translate that successfully into a guitar, mandolin or mountain dulcimer, even though I'm aware of multiple attempts at each by a number of different builders. I've played some of these attempts with dulcimer and mandolin, and talked to others who've tried out guitars. Nobody has found any of them to work particularly well.

So, no, maybe there's nothing in theory that prevents this idea from working, but successful real life experiments seem to be non-existent. And it's not from lack of trying, I know for a fact.

The explanation I was given about the differences in how energy gets transferred from bowed to plucked instruments seems fairly likely to me in explaining why nobody's really been able to make it work.

Anyway, I don't see any reason this should turn into any sort of wrangle between you, me, or anybody else. It's an interesting idea, but to me it's not unlike the so-called "secret of Stradivarius's sound." Meaning that it will always hold a certain fascination simply by its obvious merits on bowed instruments, (just as the legend built up around Strads has its own inherent appeal) but I have my doubts as to whether soundposts can truly be made to work in plucked instruments.

When somebody manages to do so, I'll sit up and pay attention. Until then, to me it's just speculation. And while pure, unapplied speculation has its own undeniable attraction, I personally am much more interested in results.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Well...
Doesn't look like it's happened yet...but I hope people keep trying, and that one day somebody hits on some magical sound post design.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Indeed, much of your post makes sense, and there is no wrangling, just a rather complete explanation of two particular positions. I know I am new to the board and with a low post tally, but if my experience can be trusted in any way based on what little I have contributed so far, I would qualify as at least one voice that contradicts the statement "successful real life experiments seem to be non-existent." You did say that your particular understanding regarding posts in guitars was based on talking with others, so perhaps you will count me as one of those you have corresponded with who has had some minor success. And if I ever make it to Chugiak Alaska, I will be sure to bring my "posted" guitar to solicit your opinion. I should conclude any contribution to this topic by saying that if were I arguing from the other side, my comments would look strikingly similar to yours

Last edited by gmm55; 11-03-2009 at 10:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops