The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Default Audix L5O + K&K pure mini?

Hi,
I'm looking for a dual source for my acoustic guitar and read about the Audix l5, so I bought it.
I would like to combine it with the k&k and maybe go with a Y cable into a small mixer.
Is it possible?

Thank you!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Welcome to the forum!!

If I'm not mistaken, the i5 is a hand held dynamic that you can put on front of the guitar on a stand. I would run a cable from that to a mixer then run an instrument cable from your guitar to the mixer.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Welcome to the forum!!

If I'm not mistaken, the i5 is a hand held dynamic that you can put on front of the guitar on a stand. I would run a cable from that to a mixer then run an instrument cable from your guitar to the mixer.
I'm guessing the one he's talking about is their lavalier L5.

http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/units/L5.shtml

Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I use the L5O as a guitar mic. Yes, just wire it to the ring and ground of a TRS jack (which you should already have with the K&K). You'll need a blender that supplies 9 volts on the ring of a TRS cable. K&K Quantum, Grace Felix, SPS-1, DTar Solstice, Raven Labs PMB, Headway EDB-2, etc, etc
Old 03-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Thx for the answer!

Can i use this adaptor

http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/units/APS910.shtml

to power the mic from the mixers 48v?

I suppose the Audix has a 3 wire cable... Do i have to join two and solder them to the ring?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardguse View Post
Thx for the answer!

Can i use this adaptor

http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/units/APS910.shtml

to power the mic from the mixers 48v?

I suppose the Audix has a 3 wire cable... Do i have to join two and solder them to the ring?
I've not tried that adaptor, but it seems like it should work. I'd personally prefer to use a preamp designed for the task - just use a TRS to TTS cable into the right preamp and you're done! But it's worth a try - you'll need a custom Y cable.

Yes, the L5O has 3 wires. I have to double check how I've done mine, I think I just tied one side to ground, making it unbalanced.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 AM

Ok
Thank you! It was a big help
Old 03-04-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I use the L5O as a guitar mic. Yes, just wire it to the ring and ground of a TRS jack (which you should already have with the K&K). You'll need a blender that supplies 9 volts on the ring of a TRS cable. K&K Quantum, Grace Felix, SPS-1, DTar Solstice, Raven Labs PMB, Headway EDB-2, etc, etc
Just to be clear... the regular K&K Pure Mini has a stereo TRS jack, even though the output from the transducers is mono? There's unused ring contact in there just waiting to have a 2-lead mic soldered to it?
Old 03-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Just to be clear... the regular K&K Pure Mini has a stereo TRS jack, even though the output from the transducers is mono? There's unused ring contact in there just waiting to have a 2-lead mic soldered to it?
Well, double-check, it's been a while since I bought/installed a K&K. But every K&K passive system I've had has come with a stereo jack. They presumably use intend it for their own "silver bullet" mic.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:53 PM

ok,
so there will be no problem with the mic power turning 3 wires into 2?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:21 PM

just got an email from k&k :

"It cannot be done. That mic requires three connections: ground, signal out and B+ (phantom power). The TRSS endpin ajck has only two connections available: ground and the ring terminal"
Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardguse View Post
just got an email from k&k :

"It cannot be done. That mic requires three connections: ground, signal out and B+ (phantom power). The TRSS endpin ajck has only two connections available: ground and the ring terminal"
That is incorrect. I have 2 installed and they work fine. Laurence Juber has been using one with his Wavelength (also provides 9 volts unbalanced) for several years. You simply wire the shield and the white wire to ground, and the red wire to the ring, and run the TRS cable to a preamp (like the K&K Quantum) that provides 9 volts. It works very well. The AKG 516 mic that some here recommend works the same way, if I'm not mistaken. You can power it from balanced phantom power, or just wire one side to ground and use the other wire as the hot wire.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 AM

Ok, fine. So with a preamp its no problem. Now i've to find out how it can work without a preamp, directly to the Aer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification