The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Default Christian Songs

I'm proposing to start a thread, this thread, for posting Christian songs, covers and original songs, recording by AGF folks, but, maybe it's not a good idea??? I feel like we'd need to give a Caution Warning before posting a Christian song, that we might offend some, or give rise to a string of complaints about the AFG not being a religious forum.
So, here's a beginning, my cover of John Michael Talbot's "St Teresa's Prayer.
Eastman AJ816CE Acoustic Guitar, Helicon Harmonizer, Focusrite Scarlett Interface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE
Blueridge BR-01
Bedell TB-24-G Cedar
Fishman Loudbox Artist Acoustic Amp
Focusrite Scarlett Interface
Helicon Harmonizer
Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 AM

I think just having "Christian Songs" in the title should be enough of a warning.
Those who are not interested don't have to read the thread, so why should it offend anyone? Anyhow, here is a medley I recorded, instrumental only.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/f...jesus-merciful
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Just my opinion:

Christian songs is simply a genre. You could list "Christian Songs" just like you could list "Christmas songs" or "disco songs" or "gospel songs" or "death metal songs"

it's just a type of song.

As long as you don't use it to promote/argue/discuss the message of the song, I can't imagine it being verboten.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-28-2017, 02:23 PM

I agree. I think that's been the way the AGF has seen this topic in the past. It's different from a "discussion" or debate over beliefs.

cotten
Old 01-28-2017, 04:56 PM

I've posted this video before, but here's me with a "band" covering Love Come Down from Northpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRI1wtJjv90
Old 01-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Christian songs are allowed as long as they don't become a sermon or are aimed at anybody. Like any song... as long as they're done in good taste, they're fine.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:41 PM

Momanbilly, any of the videos here that I have posted that had my Daughter playing and singing Christian songs have gone over well. I have had not one negative comment. As much as I would like to see a thread for it I can see where that might end up causing a debate and turn ugly. Keep posting your music and feel free to mention that it is a Christian song so in case there is someone that might be offended then they can just skip pass it....Locky
Old 01-28-2017, 10:33 PM
AGF Administrator

All,

No need for a dedicated Christian thread. Feel free to post Christian music along with all the rest. People have been posting religious-themed music in Show and Tell for years and it's not a problem.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:45 PM

Old 01-29-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
All,

No need for a dedicated Christian thread. Feel free to post Christian music along with all the rest. People have been posting religious-themed music in Show and Tell for years and it's not a problem.
OK, let's go with advice above and above, no need for a specified separate thread, which in itself, may give rise to negative comments. I'll just begin a new thread for each Christian song recorded. On another forum, inside the thread, I included the statement: "Caution - Christian Song". Thanks for the responses...
Blueridge BR-01
Bedell TB-24-G Cedar
Fishman Loudbox Artist Acoustic Amp
Focusrite Scarlett Interface
Helicon Harmonizer
Old 01-29-2017, 01:03 AM

Smile

One of my favourite guitarists Doyle Dykes has been playing in churches and playing Christian music nearly all of his playing life and what a great player , I can't see the need of a warning . As a player that plays in church most weeks I find that the music is inspiring and really satisfying as a guitarist
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 AM

I'd be more inclined to post the song in Show and tell just with a comment upon the name and source. Much like any other thread in that forum. If someone gets offended, then, maybe the mods will need to "intervene" but like many other topics, why should it cause offence. It's not as though most religious music is graphic in its imagery, or language.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momanbilly View Post
I'm proposing to start a thread, this thread, for posting Christian songs, covers and original songs, recording by AGF folks, but, maybe it's not a good idea??? I feel like we'd need to give a Caution Warning before posting a Christian song, that we might offend some, or give rise to a string of complaints about the AFG not being a religious forum.
So, here's a beginning, my cover of John Michael Talbot's "St Teresa's Prayer.
Eastman AJ816CE Acoustic Guitar, Helicon Harmonizer, Focusrite Scarlett Interface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE
Nice song but the vocal effects are not for me.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:11 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momanbilly View Post
OK, let's go with advice above and above, no need for a specified separate thread, which in itself, may give rise to negative comments. I'll just begin a new thread for each Christian song recorded. On another forum, inside the thread, I included the statement: "Caution - Christian Song". Thanks for the responses...
Plenty of Christian songs are posted here without cautions. It's not been an issue. Please don't be concerned with it.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
christian, john michael talbot