The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

That must have been one slow growing tree. The one I got was 1/4 that old, but larger judging by the photo. I had thought I might make another Catalpa guitar for this August's HGF, but it looks like I'll not have time.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Bruce, it was such a pleasure to meet you at a number Healdsburg Fests and to play your guitars. This latest build thread has been a real treat. Thanks so much for sharing.

Wonderful dream guitars someday:
Mark Blanchard Pinyon (00) Ad/Koa slothead 12fret contour cutaway, Mark Blanchard Sugarpine (000) Ad/Mad fan 12 fret contour cutaway w/Manzer wedge
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

I thought I'd bump this thread because I am indeed making another Catapla instrument for the Healdsburg event. It is a Ukulele, and there is more info about it over on the "3 Ukes for HGF" thread nearby. I am posting this because if you are interested in Catalpa and haven't discovered the Uke (way more interesting that you might guess) yet, you might not have noticed. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 PM

I just found this thread for the first time and I am in awe of the beauty of this guitar. I have a couple of huge Catalpas on my property, one of them failing, due to a split just above the base. I'be been putting off the fallling and cleanup because I thought it was a junkwood....holy cow have I been wrong. Thanks for sharing this whole process, Bruce.

1852 Dutch Barn
1895 Farmhouse
1964 Long Island Blonde
2002 Yellow Lab
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Getting popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
That must have been one slow growing tree. The one I got was 1/4 that old, but larger judging by the photo. I had thought I might make another Catalpa guitar for this August's HGF, but it looks like I'll not have time.
Oscar Schmidt and Washburn have changed several guitars from mahogany to catalpa of late, including one of my favorites, the OG2SM as in Spalted Maple top. Most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Bruce's magnolia and catalpa guitar is super sweet. It's a great demonstration of the luthier's skill.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:05 AM

Default Catalpa 'cigars'

The guitar looks and sounds great to me.
When I was a kid, the boys in my neighborhood would take the Catalpa seed pods when dried to a dark brown on the tree and smoke them. I remember you could draw enough air through to get an acrid smoke in your lungs and part of the deal was not to cough. We called these natural smokes Indian cigars. We once had a neighbor who treated the caterpillars that ate the leaves like very valuable fish bait.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop