The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 AM

It’s splitting hairs stuff some might not even recognize and what’s deep, or dark or low might make more sense if you’ve also checked out or know a Deluxe or Twin.

I had DRRI and the PRRI sitting next to each other for a year and in that context the Princeton was darker. I checked out these Princeton variations next to each other in a nice showroom vs Guitar Center type noise where there was a Deluxe too. I felt they’re all variations of a same theme but a Deluxe has to get really loud to break up.

A good boost pedal is also a way to shape or get the tone you want. If you want a lot of clean Fender tone and some hair on the tone a boost pedal with good EQ options is worth it. A good boost pedal is nicer than I ever thought it would be. I fell for the Mesa that has a lot of tone adjustment and can take you a little beyond boost for some overdrive. Unlike an OD pedal or other boost I tried I can have the bass and treble just like bypass but fatten up single coil or get just a little break up. In retrospect I realized it gets me why some people choose a Deluxe or clean amp and others something that’s quick to distort.
If your tone must come from the amp, not an effect, you can also consider the Mesa Lonestar amps. They are love or hate but in reality sort of multiple amps and preamps in same box.

I’d say if you’re buying new delay gratification and try the two amps and then decide. If it can be in your budget try a Mesa Lonestar that’s like getting multiple amps and preamps in same box. If you find either of these reissue amps for a bargain hurry up and get it.

It’s also worth looking for a non-big box store. At Full Compass and Dave’s I could hear the amps without chaos in the background.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:05 AM

Reduced negative feedback does a couple of things. It smooths the transition from clean to overdrive, with less of a sharp break. Think the tweed Deluxe and Vox AC30 - there's a broad range of edge-of-breakup tones to play with. It also lets breakup start a little sooner.

It also raises the noise floor of the amp slightly. It's only a couple of decibels, but if you're sensitive to it that might sway your decision.

It also makes the amp slightly less flat in frequency response, again by only a couple of decibels, but it's a side effect that exists.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It’s splitting hairs stuff some might not even recognize and what’s deep, or dark or low might make more sense if you’ve also checked out or know a Deluxe or Twin.

I had DRRI and the PRRI sitting next to each other for a year and in that context the Princeton was darker. I checked out these Princeton variations next to each other in a nice showroom vs Guitar Center type noise where there was a Deluxe too. I felt they’re all variations of a same theme but a Deluxe has to get really loud to break up.

A good boost pedal is also a way to shape or get the tone you want. If you want a lot of clean Fender tone and some hair on the tone a boost pedal with good EQ options is worth it. A good boost pedal is nicer than I ever thought it would be. I fell for the Mesa that has a lot of tone adjustment and can take you a little beyond boost for some overdrive. Unlike an OD pedal or other boost I tried I can have the bass and treble just like bypass but fatten up single coil or get just a little break up. In retrospect I realized it gets me why some people choose a Deluxe or clean amp and others something that’s quick to distort.
If your tone must come from the amp, not an effect, you can also consider the Mesa Lonestar amps. They are love or hate but in reality sort of multiple amps and preamps in same box.

I’d say if you’re buying new delay gratification and try the two amps and then decide. If it can be in your budget try a Mesa Lonestar that’s like getting multiple amps and preamps in same box. If you find either of these reissue amps for a bargain hurry up and get it.

It’s also worth looking for a non-big box store. At Full Compass and Dave’s I could hear the amps without chaos in the background.
Yeah, definitely planning to play both before I buy, and Dave's is my venue of choice but it's a weekend trip....the Mesa's out of my price range, but thanks for the info--and I'm definitely planning to add a good boost pedal...really intrigued by some of the new Greer pedals....
Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
If these were hand wired, they would cost about the same as the newish hand wired Deluxe head that Fender sells for $2500...
That's funny, they don't look newish...
Old 02-08-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
That's funny, they don't look newish...
they do until the owner gets the tweed somehow dirty. altho if it were mine, it would never leave the room. you are correct tho, in that tweed is an old type of covering that is still wanted by many.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you've been following this thread, you can read my review, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

If you've been following this thread, you can read my review, HERE.

Bob
Thanks, Bob--great review, and great audio/video clip!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars