The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-17-2018, 03:56 PM

The majority of guitar books in my library are either technique related or artist specific.

My newest technique book is classical oriented "Killer Technique" by Gohar Vardanyan.

What I like is that it's not a series of exercises. They're all inspired by or based upon challenging passages and patterns that appear in regular pieces. It's got great stuff for the left or right hand.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 PM

I have been working on Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar by Berle & Galbo for years - now on page 47!

Gerry
Old 02-12-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Lately mine has been Woody Mann's "The Complete Acoustic Blues Guitar Method."

51 tunes (all instrumentals). You get a coupon in the book with directions to download all the songs from a website.

I play a few, then put it away for a few weeks or a month or so and then come back and find that tunes that I wasn't too fond of before now sound good, so its like getting a new book!

What's your favorite?
I haven't started it yet, but I've listened through Jim Tozier's Celtic Guitar Solos CD with performance notes and I'm excited to get started!

Barry - based on your soundcloud, it seems you've gone through this book!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Another nod to the Pierre Bensusan Guitar book...Primarily DADGAD with lots of other guitar info/pics/ to include a few recipes. I found it more usable to cut the spine off and replace with a spiral configuration. Most highly recommended publication.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:57 AM

My favorite tabs is Hal Leonard's Guitar Recorded Versions, many of them I purchased just for the cover art. Next is Mel Bay, although some of their items are problematic, sometimes the transcriptions are incomplete.

Truefire has a lot of great stuff, but they can also be problematic, things like missing solos in lessons that their customer service said won't be fixed. I've contacted Jeff Sheetz personally about many such problems and was ignored.

Stefan Grossman Workshop has many great videos, but the big problem there is the song performances usually aren't tabbed, what's usually tabbed is the slowed down "split screen" take. That makes no sense.

Last edited by Joscefi78; 06-16-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM

Too many to have ONE favorite:

Fingerstyle Guitar: Complete Edition (Alfred publishing, various authors).

The Art of Solo Fingerpicking by Mark Hanson

Acoustic Guitar's Fingerpicking Guitar Essentials- String Letter Publishing, various artists

AND the aforementioned New Art of Ragtime Guitar by Richard S. Saslow

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write