The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Beyond Strumming

Okay, so I finally got my strumming down and I've been strumming along a few songs. Yet in spite of that, I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing. Surely there's more to playing guitar than strumming chords and not doing much else?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Well, what is the style of music that you "wannabe"? That would dictate a lot of the direction you choose.

In my case, I wanted to hear the melody in my playing because there ain't no vocal accompaniment coming from my vocal chords, so that led me to fingerstyle. I vastly prefer that.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 09-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianwannabe View Post
Okay, so I finally got my strumming down and I've been strumming along a few songs. Yet in spite of that, I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing. Surely there's more to playing guitar than strumming chords and not doing much else?
Hi, I started fingerstyle a little while ago and it clicked - there's soooo many different directions it can take you. I am not pushing this site/product but a good, fun intro lesson is at: guitarforbeginners.com I have not purchased any lessons from them but am on their mailing list and occasionally get a short, free, "teaser" lesson. Spend 5 minutes and check it out.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianwannabe View Post
Hi mwb...
Quite a bit more if you want to do more...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 AM

As the previous posters have said...quite a bit more...

Have a look at these sites and see if they inspire you:

www.justinguitar.com
www.guitarnoise.com
http://www.ericlugosch.com/lessonhome.html

Best wishes,

Rc
Old 09-07-2009, 08:16 AM

With my handle on various forums being Astrummer I can identify with you. As I move beyond strumming ( and there can be quite a bit done creatively with strum patterns and chords in various positions and open chords up the neck etc....)

Fingerpicking as in Mark Hansons excellent tutorials......

http://www.accentonmusic.com/book_detail.asp?qID=5

And then there are just general fingerpicking patterns

http://www.alanhorvath.com/LSN4.php

And chord melody where one picks out the melody in the midst of other notes you may be playing or by keeping the melody note the highest one during strumming ( muting any higher ones )

But that's just where I am going to get beyond strumming. Pehaps it will give you some ideas.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Fingerstyle can be much more rewarding if you don't sing along, but its a long road. Like alot of people I started out strumming then learned to flatpick efficiently when I took lessons for about 6 months. I also used to play hybrid; flatpicking using the middle and ring fingers to play fingerstyle at the same time. Now I just play fingerstyle and I have started studying abit of classical to train my right hand more. You might want to pick up a couple of thumbpicks and start fooling around with that. Its a good platform to do everything from (and something I should learn as well).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write